3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: help with guided elk hunt  (Read 869 times)

Offline RobinHood1389

• Trad Bowhunter
help with guided elk hunt
« on: August 07, 2020, 11:11:57 AM »
Keeping it short, looking for recommendations which guides to use or avoid. preferably Colorado. We are looking at 3-4 hunters. but we want a semi-guided hunt. This will be our first time ever hunting elk, or Colorado for that matter. Drop camps aren't an option this time. thank you.
1970 Grizzly 56" 50#
Bear B mag 53#

>>>>---Kyle---->

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: help with guided elk hunt
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 12:12:04 PM »
Not sure if they have a semi guided option but Colorado mountain adventures. I know people who have gone and killed or had shots.  I would also look at flat top adventures( I have heard good things).  Have you started acquiring preference points?

Offline RobinHood1389

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 12:51:53 PM »
Preference points?

I have reached out via phone and email to a couple different outfitters already. Nothing bad to say so far. Friendly and informative. Just see who you all recommend.
1970 Grizzly 56" 50#
Bear B mag 53#

>>>>---Kyle---->

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 02:07:49 PM »
Not all units are over the counter.  To limit the number of hunters you have to apply in April.  If you are not drawn then you get a preference point.  Which means the next time you apply the odds are slightly higher to draw.  This depends on the unit. There are some that take 20 plus points And others require one point.  I apply for units that I can draw regularly ( every couple of years) because these places have better bull/cow ratio and less hunters. Because of this I have a system where I can hunt elk about every year in limited locations.  It is called playing the points game.  I apply for points in seven states. Sorry for the long response.

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 09:23:48 AM »
I’ve never hunted Colorado. Been to WY and MT though. I guess I don’t know the parameters of “semi/guided”. Elk hunting is hard work and it’s harder if you’re old like me. You need help and horses or mules. Maybe for your first hunt you should look at fully guided hunts and learn all you can. Sorry to all if this is off track or negative.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline RobinHood1389

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 09:27:36 AM »
Chain2, all good bro. We were thinking the same thing. A DIY is something we absolutely want to do, but we have no knowledge of the terrain or the elk. We dont have elk in indiana. L. But semi guided (after learning about it) sounds great. The guides basically tell you "go here or there." "Elk herds were spotted here last night." Etc......

They house you and do all the at camp work, but simply point you where to go. Though, I agree, for maximum results, fully guided may be the key. As you stated, learn all you can.
1970 Grizzly 56" 50#
Bear B mag 53#

>>>>---Kyle---->

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 09:39:54 AM »
 I forgot to mention one thing there is only one direction in elk country....uphill! I wish you guys all the luck. From my first archery elk hunt , that’s all I want to do. It’s quite an experience.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline Wild Bill MCP 808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 10:45:05 AM »
It is a good experience I would recommend a guide the first time out, do your research on guides ask a lot of questions know exactly what your getting for your money. I have done it both ways and each ways has its rewards and faults. As stated above elk hunting is hard be in shape before you go. Take two days out there to get use to the elevation, coming from the east breathing takes getting use to. Take good boots be prepared for blisters you will be doing a lot of walking. Have good rain gear when it comes out there it really comes hard. Take a compass and GPS they come in real handy after dark. You will know when your back in the wilderness area and you hear your first real live bugle you say WOW this is worth the price of admission. Good Luck to All.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
60" Black Widow 47@ 28
60" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
62" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
60" Black Widow  46@ 28 
NRA Member
Bill Wilhelm

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©