3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First ILF  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
First ILF
« on: August 08, 2020, 12:40:05 PM »
This is my first ILF rig and I really like it.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: First ILF
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 12:46:38 PM »
The riser is from Timberhawk,and the limbs are from Dryad. It is a 17 inch riser and long limbs that are 65@28. This is the best feeling grip I've ever had. I've already got a pretty good tune with some 28.5 inch full metal jacket that are 390 with 300 grains up front.

I had some 62 inch strings around,and found one that worked. I have it at 7.75 brace height,and it's shooting good,but there is some noise that I can't figure out. It sounds like some of the hardware is loose,but I've checked all of it,and it's all snugged down. Any thoughts on what that could be?

Other than that,and I'll keep working on it I think I'm going to like this rig. The riser is myrtle and zircote. The myrtle almot looks like black and white ebony I think.

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 12:51:38 PM »
Nice looking bow. How do you like the full metal jackets?  I bought some to try this fall.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 12:54:20 PM »
I love them. I think someone got rid of them because they were way too stiff. I'm barley making them work out of this 65 pound bow. It's more than I've ever shot,and I'm getting tired quick with it,but have already shot some good groups with it,and just started shooting it.

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 12:55:05 PM »
In response to your question, the noise could be several things. I've always found ilf bows to be harder to quiet. My old rig has two sets of silencers, wool puff balls and string leaches, also velcro pads on the string grooves. My dad's Morrison is the loudest bow I've ever shot and we've done pretty much everything imaginable to silence it.  I think some ilf rigs just aren't meant to be quiet.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 12:58:55 PM »
You're probably right Robert. The part I can't figure out is it doesn't just sound like a loud bow. It sounds like something is loose,and everything is snugged down as far as the set screws go.

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 01:10:24 PM »
Just keep tinkering with it. You will find the problem. This is just a theory but I've always thought that some of that mechanical type noise comes from those limb pockets on the ilfs.  But then again I've seen some that do not make the noise you're describing.

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 02:52:22 PM »
The cheap rubber selway slide on quivers have been magic on my ilf’s. Like a oversized limb saver.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 04:41:16 PM »
The cheap rubber selway slide on quivers have been magic on my ilf’s. Like a oversized limb saver.

I looked those up,they look like a pretty good deal.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 04:52:44 PM »
I think I figured it out,but I really don't know how to fix it.

There is a button in there that is spring loaded. I got to thinking that this button could be the only thing making this noise. At brace I would tap the side of the bow,and it would make the noise. I had the wife tap the side of the bow when I was at full draw,and it didn't do it. Problem is when I release it makes the noise. I might try to put some felt or something in the socket.

Offline madmaxthc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 08:11:46 PM »
If there is metal where the limbs attach to the riser, it could be vibrating upon shooting. If that is the case, felt should do the trick.

Good luck with it  :thumbsup:
Life is short, play hard

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2020, 08:48:44 PM »
You can take out the spring and metal post in the fitting, many do it. Only drawback is limbs can pop out more easily when unstrung.

Don't know what type of limb bolt it has but if it has a brass collar check if it moves easily, couple wraps of teflon tape snug it up.
shoot straight shoot often

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2020, 08:58:01 PM »
Thanks guys!

I didn't know all of that Kat. I will keep all of this in mind.

I don't know what happened,but I took it out just a while ago,and all of that rattling was gone. I almost hate to unstring it :biglaugh:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2020, 09:23:10 PM »
Yep, what they said above, the bushing on the limb bolt, the spring on the detent! I have a bunch of ILF stuff and they can be made as quiet as a one piece. They also can be addictive......lol
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 07:24:04 AM »
I install velcro (fuzzy side) on the limbs where they fit into the riser.  Helps with noise.  Try adjusting the brace as well.  It seems that I get more noise if the limb bolts are out a turn or two vs down tight.  Although some limb makers recommend that you leave the limbs 1/4 turn out as a max setting while others don't care if completely down.

I also try adjusting the position of the silencers.  Not a longbow shooter, so maybe someone can offer placement suggestion.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2020, 08:18:47 AM »
Sounds good Wheels. It wasn't really a sound as far as tuning,it was a rattling. It seems to have gone away. I don't know if something settled in?

I haven't played with the limb bolts yet,but will keep in mind what you were saying. It is fairly loud on the shot,so I do need to play with silencer position.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2020, 09:18:23 AM »
Rick... are you hearing a tick sound?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2020, 09:21:07 AM »
It has sort of cut it out Terry,but it was a tick or more of rattling like loose screws.

Man I can see why you like heavy bows Terry. This thing is only 65 pounds not super heavy,but does it hit hard. I shoot it well,but form goes quick. I can work up to it though. The grip on Scott's bows are the best,and now I can try a ton of limbs.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2020, 09:39:38 AM »
Cancel that.... nice chatting with you!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2020, 04:07:41 PM »
Rick,
I picked up a LH ILF riser from Scott Mitchell at Timberhawk two weeks ago.  I’m really impressed.  I put a pair of Z4 limbs Zipper made before they pulled out of the ILF business, snugged down all the bolts and Allen head lock screws and found the bow as quiet as any of my Hill or Northern Mist longbows.  Here’s a picture of what things looked like from thirty yards after figuring out what arrow the new bow liked.  I think Scott has one of the best grip shapes I’ve encountered and he’s absolutely one of the best folks to work with.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©