3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question from Old Bowhunter book  (Read 637 times)

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Question from Old Bowhunter book
« on: April 18, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
I recently finished the book documenting the experiences of Chester Stevenson. Great book.

He mentions what he calls his "broadhead axe" or "broadhead hatchet". Is this hatchet any different than your common garden variety hatchet? If specialized, do any of you have any photos of one?
                      Thanks, Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question from Old Bowhunter book
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »

Nice PLUMB broadhead hatchet with the original handle.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
Tony,
      I believe that is a Broad axe instead of broad head axe. Forgive me if I'm speaking too quickly on this matter. After all I am asking the question because I dont know.

I do have a couple of the hatchets like in your picture and they are used for hewing timbers. One side of it is flat and the bevel is on the other.

Please correct me, if indeed this would be the hatchet Mr Stevenson is talking about. From the book, I gathered that he carried it to remove broadheads from logs and trees after he shot thru the animal or missed. I'm curious if the tool he's talking about is unique to the use.
                      Thanks, Lin
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 11:29:00 PM »
The knife and axe collectors call this a broad head axe - you can buy them on that auction site that cannot be named or check out the knife collectors forum.

Dawson & Nye  auction and appraisal firm
March 14-15, 2007 Furniture, Jewelry, and Fine and Decorative Arts Sale
Lot: 9  A BROAD HEAD AXE

Tie Hack Monument - Wyoming
Relief figure of a man holding a broad-head axe. To the lower left is a tree stump with a chopping axe embedded in it. Behind the man's legs, a cross-cut saw runs across the relief's width. On the upper left corner, a distant figure drives a small team of horses and in the upper right, another man is chopping a tie. The relief sits on a base with an inscribed plaque.

It seems that the term broad head axe is used interchangeably with broad axe.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 05:48:00 AM »
Tony,
     I appreciate you posting the pics. In the context of chopping out a broadhead from the tree, I guess I got confused.

While on the subject, do any of you guys commonly carry a hatchet/belt axe for BH removal?
                            Lin
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 07:31:00 AM »
Hi Lin,being somewhat of an old bow hunter myself....I would have to say Chets broadhead axe or hatchet....was actually used more to remove broadheads from things like tree's mostly..Rather then any certin type of axe or hatchet...Broadhead hatchet I believe is more of the removel of broadheads hatchet.Do to the extra weight involed I don't see many guy's carring small axes or hatchets much anymore...hope this helps.bowdoc

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 07:49:00 AM »
Chet's "broadhead axe/hatchet" was a specially made hatchet that was VERY small. He carried it on his quiver if I'm not mistaken.

I've seen pictures of it somewhere. A good friend had a couple of reproductions made some years back.  Very cool and pretty handy.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 08:00:00 AM »
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 08:56:00 AM »
Ron - Is that a Shrew Spike with the Tomahawks?
I have been searching for broad-head, broadhead, and broad head axes, and this term also results in axes like broad axes - even from the Smithsonian site. Did you design the Shrew Spike to dig out broadheads?

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »

This skatchet was made by Charter Arms Company in the 60's or 70's. It is worn on the belt and when you need to use it you would have to cut a small green tree or tree branch or pick up a stick of some sort for the handle.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 09:13:00 AM »
I am not possitive,but I think Dave Dorn at Archery Past in Oregon makes and sells a repro-ish of Chet's...maybe the one Charlie mentioned ?? Dave sells two sizes,one small and one real small....bowdoc

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
Lin I'm glad you posted this topic.  I just finished reading that book a week or so ago and was wondering what that axe looked like and if it was smaller than the axes or hatchets commonly seen.  I'd be curious to know if anyone makes a similar one now.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »
The guy Charlie is talking about is Pete Coats who used to run Ouatoga custom arrows , he made up some replicas of Chet's hatchet , I have one .
The dimensions are 9.5" long  from back of handle to front of head , the head itself is 4.5" x1 7/8" wide.
Very little and very handy to carry in my pack , I also use the while guiding to help with butchering, works great on neck bone and pelvis. With all the knife makers on here maybe someone will step up and make some for St. Judes

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
Ted, any chance you could post a pic yours?  I'd like to see what it looks like.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 03:11:00 PM »
Tony, Chester did not hunt with X bows. He used self bows, mostly yew.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
Shaun -
Whew! The Mechanics Illustrated story surprised me, but it looks like it was a case of give the "jet age" public what they wanted. It also looks like Chester was innovative, so I would bet he did make his own broadhead hatchet.

I posted the picture of the skatchet because it was the smallest multi-purpose camp axe I had ever used and thought Chester's might have a similiar design.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
I was actually doing some drawings of a small axe to make for bow hunters. Not trying to capitalize so much as I want one for myself.

It will be forged and finshed, although to what degree the finish will be taken, I'm not sure yet. I envision one with the head and handle stem integrated and in one unit. Then fit the Stag handle to it similar to a knife's handle.

I hesiate to call it an axe, because it will be somewhat diminutive, almost delicate. But it really is an axe.

I can easily reshape a small ball pien into a hawk, but would like to forge these axes from scratch. We'll see.
                            Lin
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
Shaun... I don't want to promote a discussion of crossbows on this site, but for the sake of accuracy Chet did hunt with a crossbow. It was for the sake of testing which proved them to be very accurate and effective (even then).

Not all of Chet's magazine articles were used in the production of the book and he wrote at least several regarding his experiences with the crossbow and game taken.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »
Ted... I wondered if you got one of Pete's little axes. I really wanted one, but was low on funds at the time.

I'd like to see Doug Campbell get a picture with a tape measure in it for scale, of the broadhead axe and see what he could do with it.
I think it'd make a dandy St.Jude's offering.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »
I'd like to see one whether someone makes it or not!  Ted, got any pix?
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©