3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: True Trad Arrow Buildalong  (Read 937 times)

Offline fletcharrows

• Trad Bowhunter
True Trad Arrow Buildalong
« on: April 18, 2008, 11:58:00 PM »
First let me say, I've missed you all.

I haven't had a lot of time in the last year or so and I'm behind a bit on my reading here. I did a check of some of the build alongs and I haven't found any that discuss what I intend to work out in this discussion. If there is interest, I would like to do a long discussion of how to build trad arrows from scratch in any shop using regular wood tools that almost every wood hobbyist has. We can do arrows that are self nocked, tapered and even done from lumber or timber. The discussion can show every step. everybody that has looked at my earlier stuff here knows that I will give away all of the secrets to building arrows. I will post copious pics on another server and even incorporate other machines that some of you members have built if you want to email me pics. So like I said, I'm going to build a bunch of arrows, all are welcome to follow along if they want to learn. In fact, post to let me know if you are interested and let me know if there are things that you want to learn. I will try to help step by step. THERE IS NO REASON THAT TRULY TRAD PEOPLE SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO CREATE THEIR OWN GEAR. EXCEPT WHEN TIME GETS IN THE WAY.

Good to see you all again.

fletch
"No..No.. I really mean it - never fry food in the nude"

Offline pjsnell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: True Trad Arrow Buildalong
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 01:07:00 AM »
I would like to see how you do it.
The main question for me is: how do you know your wood is going to make shafts that spine out where you want them to?  Or do you make a bunch, and use the ones that turn out closest to your desired spine.

Offline BleekLight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 01:34:00 AM »
sounds good can't wait to read along
---------------------------------
I shot an arrow into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For, so swiftly it flew, the sight
Could not follow it in its flight.

Offline theunluckyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 01:40:00 AM »
i would love to see some shafts made from simple hand tools...like a planer, knife, sand paper etc...
anything can happen on a texas friday night, if you dont mind your manners you dont mind a fight

Offline fletcharrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 02:12:00 AM »
I'll get started with pics tomorrow. For me simple tools are machines that I build out of other machines that I have, e.g. dowel maker from a router and taper machine from a sander. I also like reinforced self nocks. This should all be very fun. I've been out of it for about a year so I'm getting my wood legs back. The shop is shaping up nicely.

fletch

Offline Terry Riley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 03:54:00 AM »
Hey Mike!
      Glad to see your still around these parts. Looking forward to your build alonge.

Terry

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 07:29:00 AM »
Yes, self nocks and how you do footed arrows. Thanks.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »
I'm looking forward to following along.

Offline WilliamMcC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
Man I would love to see how footing is done!   :p  

Making arrows for timber and saplings is awesome! I am just finishing up some river cane arrows and have a bundle of wild rose wood seasoning.   :archer:

Offline dosbow56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »
Howdy Stranger.......
Folks, if anybody know about building arrows it's this guy right here! and don't let him buff ya, he builds a pretty mean bow too. Good to see ya around again Bud. Looking forward to picking up some pro hints.
Dave
"We watch our arrows fly. We watch our friends' arrows fly. We can't wait 'til the next one flies. It's as though we were watching through a child's eyes the same marvelous magic trick over and over."
Dean Torges "Hunting the Osage Bow"

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »
Let's do it!  Self nocks, tapered shafts, how to cut the lumber, make dowels, and then arrows.
I make most all my own gear.  Just never had the chance to build, learn to build, an arrow from scratch.
Thanks, Johnny/JAG
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Gnat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »
I'm extremely interested in this process and will definitely be watching along.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge!
All truly great thoughts are  conceived while walking.

Offline MossyOak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
I'm ready to learn how to construct trad arrows.
"Be sure your right, then go ahead" - Davy Crockett

Offline ductape

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »
Count me in. I would love to learn how to construct my own arrows.  :thumbsup:

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
I'm interested too. I have some damascus hand forged heads that I want to mount on some wood shafts with sinew...?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
This sounds great to me.  I'm listening!
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »
Yeah!!  :readit:   What Fletcher Said!!  :archer:    :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline dosbow56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
Rick, (Fletcher)
You're being too modest, you should be doing a build along, how-to too......Guys, these are the Masters!........
Dave
"We watch our arrows fly. We watch our friends' arrows fly. We can't wait 'til the next one flies. It's as though we were watching through a child's eyes the same marvelous magic trick over and over."
Dean Torges "Hunting the Osage Bow"

Offline fletcharrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
I've been fletching a few arrow shafts just to get my skills back in order. I think I'm almost up to speed. In this discussion we will attack several things at different times and not necessarily from the beginning. First we will do reinforced self nocking and tapering as they are pretty simple. The only real tool that you need to have is a 4 inch sander. I will have the kid take some shots later of me using it. this ca also be done on a 6 inch sander but I save that one for real work in my shop. I also think I will save this discussion in an email form and send it out to all those that want it in a few weeks. At least the instructional parts. I'm going to build about 20 or so dozen self nocked tapered shafts so it might take a little bit to get to each part.

PS Good to see you too Terry and everybody else. feel free to email me at [email protected] for anything and especially just to say hello. that goes for everybody      

fletch

Offline fletcharrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »
My first answer to a question is to PJSNELL. How do we get the spine we want? It is actually pretty easy. the weight of the arrow is far more difficult to match. I will show you how to make a simple machine from a router and a piece of wood that will turn out a 3/8" dowel using a drill for rotation. then you will sand the shaft on the 4 inch grinder. You can keep spining the shaft till it gets right where you need it. Then we taper the shaft to 5/16 at the nock to even out all paradox within the set. In other words the nock ends are all the same so the final stress on the spine is all the same. This way each arrow leaves the shelf the same way. We can address the numerous ways to get to the same weights later but you will find that it is pretty easy to get close in sets of 3 and 6 arrows. this works great for hardwood dowels  at the lumber yard as well.

back soon.

fletch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©