3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who's going heavy arrows on whitetails?  (Read 5489 times)

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Who's going heavy arrows on whitetails?
« on: August 13, 2020, 01:55:47 PM »
So I've bought into the high FOC and can't wait to smash a whitetail this fall to see the results. I had been thinking about past deer I'd shot when I was shooting 2219 and Zwickeys and was blowing through deer and since switching to carbon and 3 blades not getting near the penetration so I decided to try some fmjs with cutthroat bhs up front this fall,  an expensive combo but I'm loving the way it shoots. Arrows are 650 and shooting them out of a 56 pound recurve. Only thing I don't like is the amount of drop past about 40 yards which is making it tough to keep up at 3D shoots on some of the longer shots but who cares I'm not going to shoot 40 in the woods anyways. Just curious if anyone else is going heavy.   :coffee:

Offline MGH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who's going heavy arrows on whitetails?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 02:22:05 PM »
I am also running pretty heavy setups.  I am shooting .400 spine D6 carbon arrows with 100gn insert/outsert and 200gn heads out of my 50lb Elkheart for 630 total gns.  I ran this same setup last fall for bears over bait here in MI, but with 250gn heads for 680 total gns.  I wanted to go a touch lighter for whitetails for a little added range.  I shoot the same arrows for 3D, but in .500 spine with 100gn points for 485 total gns.  3D season is pretty well wrapped-up by this time of year, so that gives me a good six-plus weeks to recalibrate.  Shooting different bows for each 3D and hunting helps too.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 03:40:40 PM »
Surprised that you didn't get better penetration with three-blade heads on carbon arrows.  I've been shooting original Woodsmans on Easton Axis 500 shafts -- about 250 up front and a 525 grain arrow.  Ran them through the last three deer I shot with 45-48# longbows. 

Of course, what you're proposing will also work.  Will just have to work harder pulling the arrow of the ground after it goes through the critter.   :goldtooth:

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 04:32:30 PM »
The heavier you are comfortable shooting, the better. Yet, I have run 350 gns upfront...250 3-blade VPA with a total wt. of 573 gns thru a 500# critter shot from a 52# bow. I have had consistent pass thru's shooting 50 gns lighter on whitetails.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 04:47:53 PM »
I shot my last deer with a 635 grain arrow (including a 205 grain Centaur Big Game  head). I got full penetration with a 41 lb longbow.  I used the same arrow combination to shoot the big bear in my avatar. (another full penetration with a 47lb longbow).                                                                                                                                                                              This year my arrows will weigh around 550 grains and will be using a 150 grain 4 blade Magnus Stinger.

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 04:55:40 PM »
Orion, not saying I didn't get good penetration with the 3 blades (snuffers) killed several deer with them just as dead as any other deer I shot with 2 blades. Just seems like with those heavy aluminum arrows it was more consistent pass throughs.  Even a bad shoulder shot on a doe a few years back still went through and poked out the other side.  Not really sure why I ever switched to be honest. 

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 05:00:15 PM »
Think I shoot 610 or so with 300 grains between insert and head. Thats out of low to mid 50 lb bows. Ive never had penetration issues except when I used to shoot tree sharks and only one side of the head caught bone.

arrow30

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 05:44:29 PM »
i made up a heavy set of arrows to try out, 620 grns.- 23.35 percent foc.- 53ish lbs.  curious to see any
penetration difference.  :archer2: i know they whop my target pretty good. :goldtooth:

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 06:57:43 PM »
On my two bears I used a 53# recurve and a 48# .  I used a Sitka spruce  with a 160 grain Stos two blade for a total weight around 550 IIRC.  The second bear was shot with a 48# recurve with a Douglas Fir Surewood with 160 Stos for about 560 IF I recall correctly.  Both passed completely through the bear.

This year I might use a 2117 with a 180 grain head for about 580 grains out of a 50# recurve.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 07:22:18 PM »
I stay at about 10gpp and seem to get good performance. I realize that there is no such thing as overkill when bowhunting, but I just don't feel a need for a particularly heavy arrow. EFOC seems to require a lot of tuning. Since tinkering is just not my thing, I take standard arrows and generally tune with 125 grain points.
Sam

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 07:26:38 PM »
2X ^^^^^^^^
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Bluefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 09:01:00 PM »
That's 11.6 gr per pound which a lot of people including myself think is an ideal weight for a hunting arrow. I've been shooting 11-12 gr per pound for around 20 yrs.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 09:08:10 PM »
625 grains with Zwickey Deltas.
Everyone is different, depending on draw length and weight, head style and bow tune. Only shoot as much weight as you need to get pass throughs. Any remaining energy can go into a little arrow speed. The deer has to be still in the same county when the arrow arrives.
 I'm shooting 60lb@30" and that is about what most of my bows have been. I've been from 525-700 grains of arrow weight. Cedar, alum and carbon. No penetration problem with any of them. Penetration will be more of a factor to consider at lower draw weights and shorter draw lengths.
 For me I don't see any gains in penetration past 600 grains of arrow weight for whitetails. (10gpp @30" draw) But...I want my bow quiet so I work down to lower weights until I feel I my bow needs to be quieter then work back up to heavier arrow weights. For that reason I am usually around 625-650 grains.
 I do think I noticed that when my set up included heavier arrows and one of the slower bow models I have used that deer would move more before being struck. I had a few in a row that weren't hit where the arrow was headed for upon release. I'm not the greatest shot but I do think that deer were jumping the string on me the last few years with one of the longbows I was using with 700 grain arrows. This season will see a new recurve and slightly lighter weight arrow. It seems much faster.
 Tedd

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2020, 09:42:03 PM »
I’ll be running tapered Cedar and Red Balau with 190 grain VPA heads for about 730-750 total weight.  66-71# longbows.  Whitetail and hogs.
 :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 01:10:22 AM »
I’ve been shooting 840 for the last several years, dropped to 575 for my antelope hunt this year. Both shoot good.

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2020, 11:39:39 PM »
I'm shooting an older bear recurve this year ( 62 Kodiak) ,she is 43#. I've always shot heavier bows in the upper 50s until shoulders needed surgery,plus bad bow arm elbow.  So I am kinda worried about penetration with this bow. Ain't going to lie, it's nothing like my widows . But it's what I have to use right now.
I'm trying out 30" carbon express 150 Heritages with either 200 gr. Three blade VPA or I have 315 Tuff heads also or 195 Swamp Sharks. I can still cut some off the arrow to stiffen it up if I have to.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2020, 01:35:43 PM »
I’m shooting 685 grains with a 3 blade VPA out of a 51# longbow with no issues.
Always shot “heavy “ arrows, always will. I personally don’t shoot 30-40 yards so it does not matter to me. My shots are 19/20 yards at the most. After so many years of shooting that weight, my mind has become so used to the trajectory that I don’t even notice it.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Howitser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2020, 01:53:09 PM »
I'm shootin' 2215s with Zwicky's.  It's a 550 grn19% FOC projectile out of a #45 recurve.  The pics shows the far side leg joint, otherwise it would be another easy pass thru.  The Zwicky just needed a touch-up and it was back in the quiver
Howie
Never forget our POW/MIA's

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2020, 04:32:12 PM »
Confidence should dictate the selected the selected arrow weight.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2020, 10:01:14 PM »
I'm getting 13+ gpp with both of my setups.  Keeps them shooting the same.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©