3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Feeling odd about your setup?  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
Feeling odd about your setup?
« on: August 14, 2020, 04:07:00 PM »
This may not make sense but do any of you just feel odd about your setup? Now by odd i mean your combo whether it be bow, arrows, string, broadhead, quiver setup or shooting style just not seem to fit into the norm or what you yourself would consider the norm but you still do it anyways. I am currently shooting a nice 3 piece longbow, shooting 3 under gap shooting but for some reason cannot shake the want to shoot wood arrows and my back quiver like i would using my hill style longbows.
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline arrowslinger22

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Feeling odd about your setup?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 04:40:48 PM »
If you want to, practice with that setup, and if you are satisfied with the results, try it.  Sometimes you just have to do what feels right.
Only when the last tree has died
and the last river been poisoned
and the last fish been caught
will we realize that we cannot eat money

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 05:16:53 PM »
It feels right but at the same time doesnt. I guess it is the mental stuggle between the feeling of what one considers trad vs the benefits of modern advancements.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 05:59:44 PM »
Of course, you don't need to limit yourself to one or the other.  I shoot 3-piece recurves and hybrids as well as ASLs.  Might hunt with one in the morning and the other in the afternoon.  I also shoot carbon and wood arrows interchangeably and three or four different fixed-blade broadheads.  No expandables.  Shooting an arrow really isn't that difficult.  I do use a bow quiver rather than a back quiver with all my bows for my big game hunting. I use a back quiver with all of them when I'm small game hunting.

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 07:43:47 PM »
I shot wood bows and wood arrows to resolve that for me.
 :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 08:26:45 PM »
I feel like I've constantly bounced from bow to bow never killing more than a deer or two with the same one. I could just never get that one bow that was perfect for me. Some were lookers that didn't perform great some like my ilf aluminum riser performed amazing but I just couldn't get into hunting with it like I did my wood riser bows. All has since changed since I started building my own bows. I can pretty much get them exactly how i want both looks and performance.  I think you just have to keep trying different set ups and find your best combo that you love to both target shoot and or hunt with.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 08:44:33 PM »
No need to feel odd about shooting what you like. As long as it works for you and you enjoy using it, you are good to go.
Sam

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 09:58:58 PM »
  For over thirty years, I have used a back quiver and Howard Hill style broadheads and it just feels right to use a Hill style bow with them.  I feel a little like you do when I'm shooting my hybrid longbow with a back quiver.

Offline gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 10:18:13 PM »
 Great to have so many options, it keeps it fun. I change it up all the time, as long as I'm shooting the hunting arrow well. Carbon, wood and aluminum arrows. Hill longbow, 21st Century longbows, Shrew longbow, Bear grizzly, 3 piece recurve...54"-68", 43#-60#, 2-3 blade broadheads, single and double bevel. Killed deer with 8 different broadheads.  Tree stands, ground blinds , still hunting and deer pushes. Traditional bowhunting is just so fun and gratifying.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 09:22:11 AM »
Yep,feeling the same way, lately my shooting ain’t been what it used to be. I started messing around with sights, first was basically a pin stuck in cork taped to the riser. I’ve made a nice small bracket now that’s taped to my bow. Improved my shooting quite a bit so I’ll be hunting with it. Kinda feels odd , but I feel good about my shooting.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 01:02:14 PM »
I guess the best way to fix this is just more bows. If i have all the options then i cant feel bad about mixing things up right lol :biglaugh:

Online Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2020, 07:09:54 AM »
This will be my first season hunting with a HH cheetah and I’ll be useing a Great Northern bow quiver which just feels wrong. Lol. But it’s the easiest way for me to carry my climber. But feel I should use a back quiver! But gotta find one first.  :archer2: :
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 03:52:51 PM by Tim Reese »
66” Northern Mist Superior
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 07:17:18 AM »
Trad vs modern archery? Does anyone ever consider that what is now “trad” was at one time “modern archery?” Most of the old timers used the best equipment available during their era and spent little time pondering whether they were “trad enough.” Plenty of choices...shoot what you like!
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©