3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 58” Shrew vs 58” Toelke Whistler  (Read 3559 times)

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 58” Shrew vs 58” Toelke Whistler
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2020, 08:16:55 PM »
Welcome Tradcat!  Give Dan a call--- you won't regret it.

Offline skookuminak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2020, 03:02:45 AM »
I've owned and hunted with a Toelke Whistler, Shrew Classic Hunter (Coffey era), Caribow Wolverine, Centaur triple carbon (60"), and multiple Thunder Child(ren?) 56 and 58".

I got my Whistler last winter just after I'd finished up most of my hunts but rotated it with a few other bows all winter and into the spring for daily shooting. When it was time to commit to one for some high stakes hunts, I chose the Whistler. At my draw length (30.5") it's the smoothest of the bunch, has the least hand shock and Dan made the grip just to my liking (resembles a Jager or BEST style grip in some ways). Pound for pound, the Toelke isn't the fastest but it is the smoothest and most comfortable and the one that I consistently shoot the best. It also seems extremely well made and has already held up better than most to some very tough mountain hunting conditions. All the above bows are excellent and I've happily carried them all into the mountains but I'm stuck on the Toelke at the moment. The Thunder Child would probably be my second choice.  That Classic Hunter was my least favorite for a variety of reasons but the bow I had may not be at all representative of the current generation.

Also, for what it's worth, at this point in my archery path, I am not interested in any bow that can't be built with a flattish, Jager feeling grip and I don't believe Shrew will do that for you. Big Jim, Toelke and Centaur will happily accommodate that and other grips requests but my understanding is that custom grips are not an option with Shrew.

PS. I have demoed but not hunted with an all glass 58" A&H one piece that was also very impressive and handled my draw well. There might be one of those on order someday for me. Even with the all glass construction it was remarkably quick with a heavy arrow.

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2020, 08:23:10 AM »
Hey skookuminak, I’m not sure what you mean by jager grip? Can you please explain? Thanks for your input. Tradcat

Offline skookuminak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2020, 09:35:44 PM »
a quick google search will show some pics but basically it's a style of grip that has a flat surface against your palm and a well defined edge that hooks into your thenar eminence (into what some people call the "life line") of your hand. it doesn't change the appearance of the bow much at all but Big Jim, Centaur and Toelke have all made nice examples of it for me. It makes the grip very repeatable and should reduce bow torque. jager/BEST style grips are preferred by olympic and barebow shooters

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2020, 04:40:40 AM »
Paul, you just described the Shrew grip.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline skookuminak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2020, 02:26:15 PM »
Hi Ron, I'm probably not explaining it very well but, based on the Shrews I've shot, (none of which are the current model) the grip is very different from what I'm trying to describe.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2020, 08:26:34 PM »
"based on the Shrews I've shot, (none of which are the current model"

Over the last 25 years the Shrew bows have continued to evolve   

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©