3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Keeping osage yellow?  (Read 226 times)

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
Keeping osage yellow?
« on: April 19, 2008, 09:11:00 AM »
I made a bow for my son out of a piece of scrap.  I like the look of aged osage, but I think the fresh neon yellow would be more alluring to a child.  Does anyone have experience with UV-inhibitor finishes that might at least delay the inevitable honey brown coloring?

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Keeping osage yellow?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »
I don't think you can keep it yeller. I have osage bows that stay in my utility room most of the time and they still turn darker with time. You could paint the bow with yellow paint to achieve the look you want.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 10:02:00 AM »
I think the darkening over time is going to happen.  I think the only thing you can do is prolong it by keeping them in the dark.  I have an osage duck call that is 15 or so years old.  The exterior has turned darker but if you pull it apart the insert has a clear line where dark and much lighter colors meet.  The part exposed to light is dark and the part hidden inside the call still retains the brighter color.  Not as bright as when new, but close.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
Like said above I don't think you can keep it as yellow as when you first made it.But for me I think that is the beauty of osage,it darkens to a beautiful aged color.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©