3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shaft length, point weight, and spine  (Read 702 times)

Offline Ray Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
Shaft length, point weight, and spine
« on: August 21, 2020, 08:35:31 PM »
  I just bought a brand new Super Shrew 11 from Kustom King Archery. I have two dozen full length Easton ST Epic .500’s that I was shooting out of my 44# BW recurve. With 175gr tips, those arrows flew great from that BW. I was hoping to be able to use those same arrows for my Shrew.  They were weak with 175gr up front. I put 125gr fp on and they flew like darts, just hitting 4” high. The arrows with 175gr tips weight 450gr. I like having my arrows full length because I shoot 3 under and my point on is like 25-30 yards. I can either use the arrows as they are with 125gr tips and they weigh 400gr or I can cut some off the shaft to get the 175’s to tune. The bow is 45#@28”. I draw 28”. I’m leaning towards cutting a little off the shaft because I like hunting with my 175gr Simmons Tiger Sharks. How much would I have to cut do y’all think? Would an inch do it? If I had to cut more than that then I might stick with keeping them long with a lighter point weight. Thoughts?

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shaft length, point weight, and spine
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 07:00:59 AM »
Not sure on how close to center shrew is cut but closer it is the less you will need to cut. My guess is not more than 1/4 - 1/2" for 50gr. That won't effect point on much. Won't know to you try it with one.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 08:12:58 AM »
I don't have an answer for you, but,  you might have to sacrifice one arrow to find out.  Good luck to ya.

Offline Ray Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 01:29:01 PM »
Thanks, yea, I'll just have to play around with it. I like shooting the full length shafts but an half inch to an inch probably won't matter much.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©