3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Loud Bow  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Possum2546

• Trad Bowhunter
Loud Bow
« on: August 24, 2020, 04:42:59 PM »
Picked up a new “Galaxy” Sage for $140 from the local bow shop. Simply because I have several different weight limb sets from when I had a Samick Sage years ago. To be honest, I have shot a lot of more expensive bows that didn’t shoot any better.

Anyway...

The thing is L-O-U-D!!!! Way louder then my Samick was. 45@28 bow, draw 28, It’s tuned, BH is set at 8 3/8”, 18 strand FF with wool yarn balls and shooting a 460 grain arrow and it’s still loud.

Ended up putting some Velcro strips on the belly of the limb tips and I made some bike inter tube shims to put under the limbs on the riser pockets. Helped a lot but I still think it’s loud.. maybe I have been shooting my 68” longbow too much and got use to how quite it is. Y’all ever have a bow that’s just loud?

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Loud Bow
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 04:46:21 PM »
What's the recommended brace height? That seems high,is it a forward riser desing?

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 04:48:52 PM »
Experiment with string silencer location and material.  Paracord sheaths work well 4x2”
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Possum2546

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 04:50:52 PM »
Galaxy says 7.5 to 8.25 so I’m 1/8” above but it got it the quietest. Arrow flight is good and it’s shooting broadheads well.

Offline Possum2546

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 04:52:42 PM »
Experiment with string silencer location and material.  Paracord sheaths work well 4x2”

I will give the 550 cord a try, I read that threat about it.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 04:54:03 PM »
I'm just throwing stuff out there,but I've had some pretty nice bows come with junky strings. I end up having a string built by a good string maker,and it takes a lot of that away. It may never be your quietest bow,but it may help.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 08:22:36 PM »
Also check the limb bolts and bushings.  Have picked up considerable vibration there with some bows.  Can be dampened by wrapping upper part and head of limb bolt with electrical tape or similar.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 07:45:14 AM »
Just thought of something else posum. Check your tiller top and bottom,if it's way of could be a problem.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 10:05:15 AM »
Not a special design. Its just a rebranded Samick Sage more or less. Not a particularly loud bow or particularly quiet bow. The BH you are using is adequate, much higher you'll start to lose some performance IMO. For that bow, some ways to deaden it down are to throw a layer of adhesive backed moleskin or soft side velcro or thin rubber in the limb pockets, also make sure the limb bolts are good and snug (without breaking anything of course). Im not a big fan of velcro in the grooves, you might try wrapping wool around the string ends (the bundle part that contacts the limbs).
 The Sage style bows do better with cat whiskers IMO than lighter weight puffs, unless your puffs are fairly dense like Navajo wool etc. Even at its "loudest" I wouldn't call that bow a real loud bow, a lot of it can be perceived by the shooter. Keep tweaking it.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 08:06:42 PM »
Try heavier arrows

Offline Yellah nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 08:44:35 PM »
Look carefully at where the string sits right as it leaves the grooves and begins going along the limb. If there is anyplace that a bare spot contacts the string you are likely to have noise. I built a string for my bow the other day and padded the loops. This extra padding resulted in a "fat" string right above the velcro padding on the belly side. It was lah-hooowd. Put the old string back on and eas fine. Next string will be made much more carefully. Hope this helps.

Offline Possum2546

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 11:17:37 AM »
I think I got it shooting fairly quite now. Shot with Bronz the other day and he said it sounds fine.

Offline Possum2546

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 11:19:25 AM »
Try heavier arrows

I know that would help but shooting much more then 10 GPP is a real struggle for me due to the huge rainbow trajectory.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2020, 01:09:33 PM »
Hand placement on the grip can make a big difference with some bows especially if going from a straighter longbow grip to a curvy recurve grip.  Recurves and some hybrids often like an 'in the web of the hand' type of hold, ASLs (even those with 'locators') generally don't like that at all.  Anyway, something to consider. 

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©