3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dual Shelf Bows?  (Read 1981 times)

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
Dual Shelf Bows?
« on: August 24, 2020, 11:28:27 PM »
Hi All,

Anyone know who makes dual shelf bows? I shoot both right and left handed and would like one bow that would allow shooting from a shelf on either side. Only ones I routinely find are usually kids’ beginner bows.

Online SteelyDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dual Shelf Bows?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 02:11:36 AM »
Mike Mecredy at Maddog made me a dual shelf bow last year. I have been very satisfied with the bow.

SD

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 09:30:22 AM »
Steve Turay, Northern Mist, Hill Longbows, and Chad Holm did make them but he just passed away!  Mc Broom also makes them. I think if you talk to most bowyers they can work with you and get you what you want
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online evgb127

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 09:55:28 AM »
Leon Stewart makes a great one.
-EVG

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 12:17:14 PM »
Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone!

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 04:19:07 PM »
Yep. Maddog!!! Great Guy that made a lot of kids bows and gave them away. Told ya he was a great guy!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 05:26:36 AM »
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 06:29:58 AM »
We do www.stjoeriverbows.com

Great to know another sponsor that does this!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 02:21:19 PM »
I like the idea of a dual-shelf bow & even thought about trying some different eastern-style bows to do this.  But I haven't ever been able to get the tuning right.  I can get the arrow to fly straight-ish but, shooting right-handed, the arrow still flies pretty far left.  Going weaker in spine brought the arrow's path back to center but it came out so far nock-left that I couldn't get a broadhead to fly worth a darn.  Field points would hit where I'm looking.  Bareshafts would land pretty centered but so far sideways that some snapped on impact at 20 yards.  I gave up and started cutting shelves, <0.25" off center, into my homemade bows.  Problem solved after that.  The only thing I can figure is that they have to be run with some version of khatra that pulls the riser away from the arrow mid-flight.  I've seen some Native American short bows shot this way -- more of a drop of the bow-hand than khatra.  But same idea.  If anybody has any tips on  how to run these better on a more common form-archery style of shooting, I'd welcome the help.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 03:36:56 PM »
Jay St. Charles makes the St. Charles Thunderbird recurve in dual shelf.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 11:53:07 AM »
We do www.stjoeriverbows.com

This is good to know. My 7 year old is ambidextrous. He shoots lefty for now, but has shown interest in shooting my light weight right handed bow. As corny as it sounds, I think it would be neat to get matching bows for us, and then pass it down to my younger son when he gets older.

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 11:58:50 AM »
I like the idea of a dual-shelf bow & even thought about trying some different eastern-style bows to do this.  But I haven't ever been able to get the tuning right.  I can get the arrow to fly straight-ish but, shooting right-handed, the arrow still flies pretty far left.  Going weaker in spine brought the arrow's path back to center but it came out so far nock-left that I couldn't get a broadhead to fly worth a darn.  Field points would hit where I'm looking.  Bareshafts would land pretty centered but so far sideways that some snapped on impact at 20 yards.  I gave up and started cutting shelves, <0.25" off center, into my homemade bows.  Problem solved after that.  The only thing I can figure is that they have to be run with some version of khatra that pulls the riser away from the arrow mid-flight.  I've seen some Native American short bows shot this way -- more of a drop of the bow-hand than khatra.  But same idea.  If anybody has any tips on  how to run these better on a more common form-archery style of shooting, I'd welcome the help.

Thanks for that response! I’ve never shot a dual shelf bow, but do shoot both left handed and right handed bows. I didn’t realize there might be some difficulty in getting the spine just right with what I assume to be a necessarily narrower shelf. Definitely something to consider.

The main reason I’m interested in such a bow is so that I don’t have to lug around two different bows to the archery range. I suppose I could always learn how to shoot lefty with a thumb ring, but I know nothing about that style of shooting, measuring for proper thumb ring fit, etc. But it’s another, admittedly less expensive, option for shooting both sides with one bow I guess.

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020, 01:25:48 PM »
  Never  had a problem tuning one side to the other. I think getting a clean release on both side is a bigger issue !!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2020, 08:21:21 PM »
Have an old friend who has built about 20+ bows building me a dual shelf . I sent him pics of Ron’s bow and he said he can do it. It will be Osage with a Black phenolic stripes in the riser. Longbow in the low 50’s at 62 inches. He’s building another bow now so probably not for this season. I’m shooting lights out right and left, will hunt both sides this year.
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2020, 08:40:37 PM »
Leon Stewart makes a great  dual shelf three piece, of excellent bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©