3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: One lousy day fishing  (Read 1234 times)

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
One lousy day fishing
« on: August 29, 2020, 09:20:11 PM »
I just got off the phone with Terry and miss seeing some good stories about time in the field, so here is one of mine.  It's a wild one from Jul 30, 2019 that I posted on a fishing forum last year and just copied and pasted below for y'all's enjoyment...

Today at lunch I hard that the in laws are coming for a visit in about 1.5 weeks. The wife wants me to do a fish fry, so I planned a trip to a local creek to catch some dinner. Its a nice, sunny, 85* day and just ripe for fishing.

Last Saturday, I met up with another member to fish Lee Creek which was about 1:20 hrs:min South of me and noticed the fish responding well to his tiny Rebel crawdad. So I picked up a crawdad crankbait in two colors and added it to my UL spin fishing kit and off I went.

I put on some snake boots because although the fishing in this creek is typically phenominal, there are a lot of copperheads out there. Last trip I saw three and actually had one swim against my leg while wading before I noticed it's presence. Since I'm not keen on being bitten, it seemed like a good plan.

I had a good day at work today but was day dreaming about going fishing all day. I really love creek fishing with my UL spinning rod. I got off work and loaded up the truck and off I went just singing loud and proud like a fool the whole way.

Stepping out of my truck I find some dog poop with my boot in the paved parking lot! Its gross but it's a hike to the creek and I figured I'd wade long enough to get it all off anyway. Not a deal breaker but it was a little stinky and frustrating.

I fish for a while and this is the first time I've ever come to this creek and not hit a limit in 2 hours. For whatever reason the fish just aren't having it. A couple hours in I'm sitting at 8 keeper sunfish (with a 50-fish limit which I typically hit in 1-2 hours). The two bigger bass that I had previously located are no longer in the pool that I was hoping to get. The catfish are completely unresponsive to everything. And to top it off later in the evening this very filthy, trashy family that looked like stars in a horror film such as Deliverance roll in to scream at each other about how bad it is and they hope they don't get "ticks on their nad-sacks," curse, spit tobacco into the stream, pee on the banks, and otherwise act obnoxious in the pool that I am fishing...mind you there are pools all along the creek unoccupied but they need to come crash my party with their trashy behaviors. I'm not easily offended but its hard to relax around this entropy whirlwind of obnoxious trash, so I choose to move on politely and wish them a good time as I leave.

I start walking upstream until I cannot hear the commotion. This takes a while because noise carries well on the water. I don't really mind too much though. I like finding quiet, lonesome places. After a bit I find a new pool which I haven't ever tried. I toss in the new crawdad crankbait and catch a couple more sunfish. Then, a heron comes to join me and fish. I see him eat a fish, which was really cool, but as he flies off he takes a great big heron poop right on my lumbar pack with my gear and across my water bottle. Bottle down...it hit the cap and I'm not putting my lips around that anymore. So I rinse off my pack as best I can and continue to fish for a while. I start to hear the "Deliverance clan" coming up for another visit so I pack up and head off again.

Along the way in an area that is wide, about 3" deep, and covered in flat shale with water moving about 6-8mph I'm walking along and eat it hard. I never even felt my boot slip or had a chance to stretch out a hand to brace and break the fall. I was just upright one second and face down the next. I got a kink in my back, a sore shoulder, and a bloody mouth from the fall. Not to mention, I'm now SOAKED, including my wallet and cell phone. Oh, and I now have knee high snake boots that are completely filled with water. They are waterproof so long as water doesn't go over the tops, but when I fell they filled up on me. My fish basket got crushed, which resulted in a few of my fish being smashed/mutilated and when I picked it up to check on the others and clear out the three bused/mangled fish it turns out the whole basket opened up and dumped all my catch.

At this point I decide to call it quits and head home. In a couple of hours I got to step in crap, get skunked fishing, meet one of the trashiest families I've ever had the blessing of being bumped out of a fishing hole by, my gear and water crapped on, my fish basket broken, part of my catch destroyed and wasted and the other part unwillingly released, got my back/shoulder/face beat up by slick rocks, got soaked, soaked my wallet, soaked my cell phone, and got to hike out with 8lb soggy slushy snake boots filled with water.

You win some and loose some. I guess today I lost one. I'm happy I got to go and I really enjoyed getting to watch the heron catch some dinner with me. I'm looking forward to Thursday and I'll be doing some more fishing then. But as for today, it wasn't quite the relaxing trip that I had longed for.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: One lousy day fishing
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 11:30:23 PM »
Bummer! Unfortunately, we have all run into characters like this..
Sam

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 04:15:02 PM »
Gives credence to the phrase "a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work"
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 04:16:03 PM »
Gives credence to the phrase "a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work"

Yep. I’ve certainly had worse days.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 09:02:11 AM »
And the really scary part of all that is the "deliverance" family breed and vote... :o
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 09:59:03 AM »
Can't have better than average days without below average days!
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 12:56:13 PM »
And the really scary part of all that is the "deliverance" family breed and vote... :o

Indeed!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 03:54:16 PM »
Sounds like you have a great attitude! Jawge

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©