3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What are differences between Whispering Wind & Hex Shaft?  (Read 335 times)

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
What are differences between Whispering Wind & Hex Shaft?
« on: April 19, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
Whispering Winds' web site identifies itself as being manufacturer of a six-part lodgepole pine arrow shaft, plus arrows made from this material. It also refers readers to  Hex Shaft\\'s Home page .

Are there differences between Whispering Wind & Hex Shaft other than different businesses using identical shafting? If there are, please identify them.
Mr. Burton of Whispering Winds claims the shafting is more durable than laminated birch or hickory shafting. Has anyone compared structural strength among these three materials to verify his claim?
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Offline bullofthewoods

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What are differences between Whispering Wind & Hex Shaft?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
I do not believe Bob claims to manufacture the shafts, just makes the arrows.  He gets his shafts from Hex Shaft.

Offline Tilbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
"...the shafting is more durable than laminated birch or hickory shafting."

They're very consistent and uniform , but the ones I tried weren't tougher than hardwood.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline longbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 01:17:00 AM »
Right, I believe the shafts come from Hex Shaft. What Bob Burton of Whispering Wind adds is additional sorting and processing. He will hand sort them by spine and by weight. And he will then butt taper them, or taper both ends. Or he will make them into fine custom arrows. Naturally, the various steps of additional work bring additional cost. But the result is high grade. - lbg

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by bullofthewoods:
I do not believe Bob claims to manufacture the shafts, just makes the arrows.  He gets his shafts from Hex Shaft.
I reread a Whispering Winds' web page. You are correct. Mr. Burton is not the manufacturer. This also explains the link to Hex Shaft which must, by default, be the manufacturer.
Tilbilly: Then for durability and warp resistance in a tapered wood shaft, your experience is that laminated birch is superior to Hex Shaft?

I have been trying to locate either a manufacturer/vendor of laminated hickory shafts or a wood laminate manufacturer willing to do a run of 17 ply hickory laminate. So far, bupkes.
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Offline Tilbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 05:48:00 PM »
I'd recommend typing "hexshaft" in the search function here to look at past discussions.

There are more experienced people here than me. Maybe they'll chime in. I've tried a little of this, little of that. Tried hexshaft and ash at the same time, for example. Both need to be straightened and sealed well. The hexshaft will spine even all around and make a quality shooter, the ash(any hardwood) will take far more abuse and keep on ticking. Just my .02
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
hex shafts are made in British Columbia -- herb
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©