3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody recently fly with there bow?  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
Anybody recently fly with there bow?
« on: August 31, 2020, 07:58:26 PM »
I was wondering if anybody ever tried to take a 3 piece takedown on a plane? I would assume alot of people would not know what it was but I think I am going to ship it to be safe. Just curious to see.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody recently fly with there bow?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 08:00:39 PM »
I do all the time. You’ll have to check it. They more than likely won’t let you take it as carry on.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 08:08:13 PM »
Yeah I was thinking about checking it but we have 2 connections and I am worried that it won't show up. Thats my luck if you know what I mean.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 11:10:05 PM »
Yeah I was thinking about checking it but we have 2 connections and I am worried that it won't show up. Thats my luck if you know what I mean.
yea unfortunately I’ll almost guarantee they won’t let you carry it on. I’ve never tried but I know some who have and no one was successful
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 11:13:13 PM »
I don’t use a suitcase. I’ve used a Cabela’s duffel bag for almost 30 years. Both my arrow case and my bow case With my TD fit inside.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline John Cholin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 09:57:10 AM »
I had to cancel my elk trip to Montana this year due to a bad hip.  But in years past I have put my TD recurve and arrow cases in my rolling dufflebag, surrounded them with boots, clothes etc. and checked it.  My binoculars, ranger and paperwork went into my daypack which was my "carry-o" for the trip.  By the time you are ready for a hunt the bow and the arrows are a "matched set".  If you got to your destination with bow but no arrows you would be SOL.  So they might as well be in the same checked bag.

I used to ship bow and arrows via FedEx to the FedEx office near where I was hunting. I used their tracking utility and was able to verify that my bow and arrows had arrived BEFORE I departed for my flight.  That way if I had to I could take a back-up bow with me if the package was lost or delayed.  I never needed that plan B.  But I found that once I got the TD recurve it was easier to put everything in my roller dufflebag.

JMC
My best friend is my dog,
my best bow is my Bear Cheyenne.

Offline Tom McRary

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 03:22:35 PM »
I have several times in with my checked bag with no problems (knock on wood). On one occasion I did successfully pack it in my backpack carry on going out to Montana. Funny thing is, when I was coming back to NC out of Missoula they made me take it out and put it in my checked duffel bag. If anything I would have expected them to do that going out of Charlotte. But then, they might not have even recognized what a take-down bow even looked like here but they sure did in Missoula.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 04:39:40 PM »
Same as Sean & John, never had a issue with bow-gear in duffle bag as checked baggage.

Offline DGW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 09:26:01 PM »
In the 90's I carried 3 piece bow on plane to both Canada and Alaska without any problem.
Now I shoot a take down longbow and pack it and arrow tube in my checked  big duffle with all other
gear without any problems.  I did bring the antlers of my Sitka deer in carry on from Alaska to
home last August.

Offline JAH518

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 02:11:55 PM »
Flew last month with my 3pc but checked it as standard luggage. Had it a a suitcase size hard case with the rest of my gear and had no problems. You will not be able to take it as a your carry on bag.
Primal Tech 2pc 60" 44@28" longbow (my baby)
Primal Tech 2pc 64" 43@28" longbow
Wengerd Ibex 18 3pc 64" 49@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 2pc 45@28"
Java Man Elkhart 52" 2pc 46@28"
DAS HT-21 Uukha Irbis longs 40's
DAS Tribute 19" DAS 3k limbs
WF25 ILF Xtreme riser

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 11:04:09 PM »
I use this and just check it with TSA. Of course I also have knives and broadheads in there which security doesn’t like in the plane with passengers but more importantly my handgun typically tucks in under the arrows. I figure if I have to check the handgun in anyway I may as well drop a large, WELL PROTECTED case for all of my expensive hunting gear and the TSA checked stuff is typically the most monitored and protected stuff in the airport.

Offline osuda

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2020, 02:32:53 PM »
Just got back from a CO backcountry hunt and carried my 3 pc. takedown in my pack on the plane. No questions at all through security.

TRDHTR
PA

Offline JAH518

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2020, 09:14:54 AM »
Just got back from a CO backcountry hunt and carried my 3 pc. takedown in my pack on the plane. No questions at all through security.

TRDHTR
PA

So you had the bow in your carry-on? I take it arrows in a checked bag?
Primal Tech 2pc 60" 44@28" longbow (my baby)
Primal Tech 2pc 64" 43@28" longbow
Wengerd Ibex 18 3pc 64" 49@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 2pc 45@28"
Java Man Elkhart 52" 2pc 46@28"
DAS HT-21 Uukha Irbis longs 40's
DAS Tribute 19" DAS 3k limbs
WF25 ILF Xtreme riser

Offline osuda

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2020, 11:27:35 AM »
Yes, the bow was in my carry on. Another on the trip with me drove, so I had the luxury of shipping arrows and other gear to him. Hope this helps.

Good luck on the hunt!

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2020, 02:49:22 AM »
I just flew to Alaska and back with my one piece selfbow.  I have it in a 2” plastic tube with my fly rod and my arrows in a Plastic plan container Strapped to the longbow tube. It was considered my second Carry on with Alaska Airlines. I had them check it in because it was to long to fit in the overhead storage.  With Alaska Air skis and fishing rods are not considered extra baggage, but a longbow is.  By taking the fly rod in the same container they have never charged me the Additional baggage fees. 
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©