3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Acadian Woods Recurve - Review w/chrono #'s  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Matt Green

• Trad Bowhunter
Acadian Woods Recurve - Review w/chrono #'s
« on: September 03, 2020, 12:13:05 PM »

Testing conditions:
•   Mercury (15 strand) low stretch string, wool silencers at 1/4 and 1/3  points (trimmed during tuning)
•   Arrows: combination of gold tip (500 spine) and Dark Timber (500 spine) with 50 gr brass inserts with field tips. Arrow weight adjusted using tip weight (3 x 5 inch fletch, mild helical)
•   Brace height 7.5”, Big Shot Elk glove worn during testing
•   Chronograph:  Prochrono
•   Each velocity report based on a 6 shot average fired approximately 5 feet from chronograph (minimal wind)

Bow Description:
•   3 Pc. Takedown Carbon Reflex XT recurve with standard carbon tapper in the Reflex area of the limb
•   Included optional 0.020 carbon lamination throughout the length of the limb. Multi-laminated Broadhead/Artistic inlay inside the glass back and belly, Multi-laminated Limb Bezel overlay
•   Tip accent inlays under the glass and artistic overlays at the tips of the belly
•   60 inches, 18 inch deluxe riser, optional horn tips and antler burr limb bolts, plus custom grip with stippling

Performance Observations:
•   Exceptional velocity – especially considering this is a light poundage bow
•   The bow seems very happy with a heavy (relative to draw wt) arrow.  Does NOT require a heavy arrow to be quiet.
•   The “flat spot” in the curve is interesting. Moving from 9.0 to 10.0 gr/lb resulted in approximately 10ft/sec drop in velocity. From 10.0 to 11.2 only resulted in 7’/sec drop with essentially no loss of velocity from 10.5 to 11.6. This could reflect an optimal ‘zone’ of relative arrow weight for this bow design.
•   Dr. Ashby’s work touts a 650 grain arrow as providing large advantages for penetration. With a 644 grain arrow (15.3 gr/lb) the velocity from this bow was impressive. With only 42lbs draw weight pushing this 644 gr arrow, velocity breached 150’/sec. 
•   Kinetic Energy and momentum are presented in the Table. Predictably momentum increased with increasing arrow weight. Momentum, which reflects the resistance of an object to being stopped, also systematically increased across the range of arrow weights.
o   A good analogy: fast moving ping pong ball may bounce off a snow bank but a heavy golf ball (even if moving at slower velocity) will most certainly penetrate.
o   Another analogy: if a bicycle at 30mph hits a car, the bike stops, if a freight train hits a car moving at 15mph, it plows through the car.
•   Viewing momentum and kinetic energy collectively, it is impressive how the bow performed as the arrow weight increased. Momentum increased with arrow weight, again predictably. However, momentum is calculated as mass x velocity. So, a bow MUST handle a heavy arrow well in order to gain the benefit of a heavy arrow. Had the heavy arrow caused enough of a reduction in velocity, momentum would have suffered.
•   Again, can’t emphasize enough, this is with a 42lb bow!  Would be interesting to test a 50lb bow with similar arrow configurations.  Might well shoot through a concrete block!
"If God didn't make an outside, I wouldn't have fun." Summer - my 4 year old daughter

Offline Matt Green

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Acadian Woods Recurve - Review w/chrono #'s
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 12:13:47 PM »
here's the kinetic energy table.

"If God didn't make an outside, I wouldn't have fun." Summer - my 4 year old daughter

Offline Matt Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 12:16:58 PM »
went back and added velocity to the table -- see below.
mg

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 01:24:48 PM »
Nice report Matt.You must be an engineer.

What was/is your draw length Matt?

I had his 50s style recurve many moons ago.It was very nice.Not near as fancy as your bow though

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 01:28:29 PM »
what was the bows draw weight?  Did I miss it?
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Matt Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 01:32:15 PM »
42 at 29 (i draw 29 - 29.5).  just replied about the draw wt being the most impressive thing about this bow - the velocities i thought were outstanding considering the relative weight of the arrows.
mg

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 01:58:40 PM »
fps is impressive.
 :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"