3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Safety Harness for Treestand hunting  (Read 1704 times)

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Safety Harness for Treestand hunting
« on: September 07, 2020, 03:21:08 PM »
There are so many options!  Looking for feedback.  I need to upgrade my harness for hunting up in the trees.  Looking for a harness that allows for a lineman's rope to be attached and that has the break away on the attachment to the tree to slow the fall. 

What are you guys happy with that you have tried? 

I have been using the Screaming eagle one for years, but I know that it is well past time for a better harness.

Thoughts on the safety vest vs. Harness?   
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Pflum

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Safety Harness for Treestand hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 04:35:08 PM »
This is my first year using a rock climbing harness. I love it. Won't leave you hanging like a pup from your scruff if you fall.

Offline Nole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 04:44:07 PM »
I am going the Rock Climbing Harness as well after hearing about how great they are on a podcast and watching some reviews on You Tube.  I have not hunted with it on yet but have played around with it in the backyard. 

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 04:55:11 PM »
What brand of harness is this?  I have worn a rock climbing harness many moons ago when in Boy Scouts...
Longbows & Short Shots

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 06:37:18 PM »
I’d like to know more about the rock climbing harness also. I’m thinking it’s time to upgrade. I’m still using my Screaming Eagle  harness that probably 25 years old.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 06:52:05 PM »
I quit using my screaming Eagle harness 2 years ago and bought a Muddy harness, it's really comfortable and easy to put on. I kept my screaming Eagle rope to use when hanging stands.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 07:18:36 PM »

Interesting info...
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 07:28:14 PM »
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Pflum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 08:52:49 PM »
I went with the Black Diamond Alpine Bod harness, it seems to be very popular with hunters. It's a minimalist harness, very lightweight. It has quick release let straps, which is nice. Ive worn mine on some pretty good hikes in and out, and you honestly can't tell you're even wearing it. Same goes for when you're tied in up in the tree.

It's extremely comfortable to hang in. I made a lineman's belt just like the video posted above, and I don't know how I've been hanging stands all these years without it. You can literally hang in the harness and have two hands to work with.

If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to answer them. I know I had a ton of questions and some doubt when I was researching them, but I made the right choice for me.

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 09:06:00 PM »
I like my muddy harness.  Not to hijack the thread but for those advocating a rock climbing harness I don't see how it doubles as a fall arrest system unless your facing the tree and using it like a saddle?  Can someone explain?
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline Pflum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 09:18:36 PM »
With any kind of harness, you don't want any more slack in your tether than you need to sit down. The force exerted on your body increases exponentially the farther you fall. Your feet shouldn't end up more than a foot or so below the platform in the case of a spill.

On a rock climbing harness you attach the tether in front. If you fall, it will spin you around and you will end up facing the tree, making it much easier to get back to safety whether it be the stand or your sticks/steps. Having the tether attached to your back can make it much harder to climb back up, or manuever in general.

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 09:55:58 PM »
With any kind of harness, you don't want any more slack in your tether than you need to sit down. The force exerted on your body increases exponentially the farther you fall. Your feet shouldn't end up more than a foot or so below the platform in the case of a spill.

On a rock climbing harness you attach the tether in front. If you fall, it will spin you around and you will end up facing the tree, making it much easier to get back to safety whether it be the stand or your sticks/steps. Having the tether attached to your back can make it much harder to climb back up, or manuever in general.

With the tether in front and taut while seated it would seem to be in the way of shooting.  Standing it would have more slack in front and interfere further.  I would fear you would flip around and hit your head on the stand or stick if you fell.  I could also see the tether burning your ear or neck if you did fall. 
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline Pflum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 10:26:00 PM »
For me, (left handed), my tether goes around me on my left side. I don't keep much slack in it sitting but I wouldn't call it taut.
As far as shooting interference, there isn't any for me. I have a treestand in my yard that I practice from, and I've shot extensively both standing and seated. It's something you would have to try for yourself, you could tie a rope or strap to the front of your belt to simulate, from the ground of course.
I found the RC harness to be the best option for me, but like everything else, you have to use what you're comfortable with and confident in. There are some videos on youtube comparing falls with each style of harness.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 11:28:22 PM »
Being a old guy that’s evolved from a baker stand and single belt and rope safety belt. I’ve tried several harness‘s and hunted with a screaming eagle harness for years I have been using a lone wolf harness the past few years and love it . Quick release buckles on the legs and a secure waist belt. The line man loops are quiet nylon and very robust . I make my own lineman ropes ,Using a good quality climbing rope with a prussic slider .  I use 2 Ropes so I can always stay connected when climbing in the stand or going around a limb .Of course a full length lifeline would also serve this purpose but I prefer the 2 ropes . The rock harness looks tempting but like others,  To me, the front center rope attachment could be a issue . I have full faith in my current harness and dont see me changing . As said earlier you want the tether to be snug when in the sitting position
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Sky-chief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2020, 12:50:25 AM »
If one falls with such a harness as seen on the videos, seems likely to me that a guy would be hanging nearly upside down.  Can't be as they wouldn't be catching on so much.

How would a guy suspend from one of these if a fall occurs?

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2020, 02:03:28 PM »
Falling into a harness always sucks and won't be pleasant, that is why you want little slack in your tether. Most new harnesses are made from automotive slick seatbelt material and do not stay in place well and a lot of the adjustable buckles won't stay in place and tight either. My favorite harness is and always will be an old seat o the pants harness for early season and the Gorilla style harness that came with the old Gorilla stands when the weather is cold, because you can actually put them on without bending so hard you hurt for 2 hours and because the belt material stays in place if you do adjust it and thread it back.
I also highly recommend the "wing man" when hunting, especially if you hunt alone or have a family. Adjustable for your weight and speed of descent and re-usable. Greatly diminished chance to die of suspension trauma if a fall occurs.

Oh, by the way, the guy in the 2nd video wears an original Seat O the Pants harness.

Offline Pflum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2020, 06:36:47 AM »
Yep, suspension trauma is a real concern if you aren't able to get back in your stand. Have to have a plan in place for after the fall. I know most if not all full body harnesses come with a relief strap you can rig up and stand on. Question is, are you able to do it in under stress or possibly injured. Try hanging in your harness under controlled conditions, I think you'll find you wouldn't want to hang there long. I have seen those descent systems, I'm sure they work.
With a rock climbing harness you can hang there quite a while, but again it should never come to hanging there. You should easily be able to climb back in your stand. They are much easier to manuever in while suspended.
The most important thing is wear something and be ready for what to do after the fall.

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2020, 11:30:43 AM »
I'm a pretty avid rock climber, in fact I've taught the learn to belay classes at the climbing wall at our gym for the last 16 years. The first harness I ever bought was an Alpine bod. I still have it and carry it in the pack I carry when setting up tree stands. Although, light weight and functional, it is an older style harness that requires you to double back the waist strap through the harness. The first thing that I notice when watching the first video that I saw on YouTube was that the presenter had not double backed the harness. Newer style harness never come completely unbuckled so it isn't an issue. I sure wouldn't have any issues using a rock climbing harness for tree stand hunting but if you are going to buy one of the older style harnesses, be sure to read the instructions completely and double back the buckle.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2020, 07:17:44 PM »
When you fall in a rock climbing harness, you end up in a comfortable sitting/semi reclining position.
Your anchor line (tether) need not be in the way if you tie into the front of the harness correctly. Moreover, there are many harnesses with a full strength tie in in the back of the harness.

Nothing will slip, or fail, in a dedicated climbing harness. They are designed to be relatively comfortable to hang in; it's perfectly common in climbing scenarios.

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2020, 07:26:54 AM »
I'll be using the Black Diamond Alpine Bod harness this season. I had been a vest style harness guy for about the last 20 years and decided, after much research and trying a friends rock climbing harness, to try something new. I haven't hunted out of the harness yet but I have climbed a lot with it around the house (I use a Lone Wolf Assault hand climber). I've also shot a bunch from the climber with it on. I can honestly say that I feel very safe in it, I've stepped off my stand at about 10 feet up with it on several times to try it out and I was impressed with the ability to be suspended comfortably and the ease in which I could self rescue back into the stand due to facing the tree. It's comfortable, easy to adjust, easy to climb up and down using a life line with a purrsick (spelling?) knot, doesn't impede my shooting sitting or standing and performs great on my mock fall tests and cost right around $50. I guess a middle aged dog can learn new tricks.  :biglaugh:

Hope everyone has a SAFE, enjoyable and blessed season!  :pray:
Prayer changes things.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©