3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hog hunting stopped on some public lands in Oklahoma  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Hog hunting stopped on some public lands in Oklahoma
« on: September 25, 2020, 06:26:06 PM »
Just so y’all are aware, some public lands here in Oklahoma have stopped/banned feral pigs on several WMA’s. I called one of the game wardens and he said it had to do primarily because the state has contracted a 3rd party company to do an eradication program and they want accurate information as to how well it was working. They believe that hunter kills will alter the results. There was more to it, but that was the major reason, the rest were honestly kinda ridiculous reasons.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
Re: Hog hunting stopped on some public lands in Oklahoma
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 10:00:50 PM »
Another reason they give is that hunters take 1-2 at a time and disperse the herd, contract ops set up to take the sounder as a whole.  More effective.
 :campfire:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 07:36:26 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 02:42:00 PM »
So tell me please...where have the growing hog problems been effectively curtailed by any means?
Certainly not Florida.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 07:11:30 PM »
So tell me please...where have the growing hog problems been effectively curtailed by any means?
Certainly not Florida.

They actually thrive on being pursued, their reproduction rate increases when pressured. I’m not sure they can be reduced effectively. Not without a massive hunting campaign involving much more that just a few local hunters and the hired hands. It’d take massive numbers of people using dogs and choppers to put any real dents in the population.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 08:22:27 PM »
Wudstix is correct , and our g&f in Ark. Has banned hog hunting on state managed lands unless a open big game gun season is open . Private land is kill em 24/7 365
The G&F attempt trapping and dont want hunters Disturbing the herd . It’s tough to let one like pictured walk when hunting our WMA’s 
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 09:26:45 PM »
People, this is food walking around, which could be had for free (assuming hunters don’t start charging for their services) in a world where there are people who are starving.  Can’t a better solution be found than eradication?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 10:06:41 PM »
People, this is food walking around, which could be had for free (assuming hunters don’t start charging for their services) in a world where there are people who are starving.  Can’t a better solution be found than eradication?
We have 230 acres of land near Abilene Texas.  The deer numbers are decent.  The feral pig numbers are high.  I've killed 35 this year.  My partners another 15 or 20.  There's no thinning them.
I can't give enough of them away.  I clean quite a few.  But most feed the buzzards and yotes. 
Don't get me wrong, we love having them to hunt, but they are hard on fencing, food plots and feeders.
Over the years I've killed hundreds with guns, bows and traps.  It's a lot of work to "give" wild pork away.  Too many want it processed and you to do it or pay for it as well as kill and clean it.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 10:31:18 PM »
Good point.  For years, the salmon that came upstream in California to spawn were harvested after spawning to feed the prisoners, maybe still are.  But nobody expected people to show up with cleaned salmon on ice at the prison gates.  I would expect that if the government wanted to take advantage of all the hogs to feed people who were hungry, the government would have to be willing to show up where the dead hogs were, and take it from there.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 07:27:37 PM »
Since they are a plague I recommend the Double S method of control when on public ground (shoot, shut up)  Not to be confused with the Triple S format for use on those other species like snakes etc. (Shoot, shovel, shut up)
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 02:02:02 PM »
We have 230 acres of land near Abilene Texas.  The deer numbers are decent.  The feral pig numbers are high.  I've killed 35 this year.  My partners another 15 or 20.  There's no thinning them.
I can't give enough of them away.  I clean quite a few.  But most feed the buzzards and yotes. 
Don't get me wrong, we love having them to hunt, but they are hard on fencing, food plots and feeders.
Over the years I've killed hundreds with guns, bows and traps.  It's a lot of work to "give" wild pork away.  Too many want it processed and you to do it or pay for it as well as kill and clean it.

Yep

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©