3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flipper Rest or Feather Rest?  (Read 950 times)

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
Flipper Rest or Feather Rest?
« on: September 29, 2020, 04:44:20 PM »
And why?  I have two bows with giant shelfs that are just a nightmare to tune and figured elevated was the way to go.

Also, can you switch back and forth from elevated and off the shelf bows without shooting accuracy issues?  Thanks

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flipper Rest or Feather Rest?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 05:22:14 PM »
The feather rest may have the arrow not as high above the shelf. As to the second question,  I always shot higher with an elevated rest than off the shelf. 
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 06:08:21 PM »
Is it for hunting or plinking?  I lost an opportunity on a nice Black Bear in Ontario once  do to the slight scratchy sound drawing a shaft over a feather rest makes.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 08:03:00 PM »
I tried a feather rest for a while. To me it seemed too soft to give the arrow shaft good support. Seemed that more or less down pressure on the shaft could possibly change the position. Also in my experience I can swap between bows with rest and without rest without too much trouble
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 08:23:19 PM »
I tried a feather rest. Wasn’t any better than the Pararest (brush) I have been using since 1973. I do modify my brush rests by cutting them so they fit as close as possible to the shelf. I still put felt on the shelf to lessen any noise while loading an arrow. My wife has a flipper style rest on her bow and while the plastic is good on the arm all is quite. But when she shot metal arrows you could hear them drag across the arm. Another suggestion is the Bear Weatherrest. Has a flipper but it’s made from a some kind of rubber. Guys that shoot Bear bows swear by these rests.  Good thing, the Bear and brush rests aren’t that expensive.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 10:45:09 PM »
Agree about the Bear Weather rest, quite but almost industructable
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Online Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 03:45:45 AM »
On thise wide, flat shelves I’ve used feather rests and bear weatherests. I like them both but think the weatherest works a little  better with vanes should you want to use those for wet weather. I don’t seem to have a problem going back and forth from shelf to elevated rest but I don’t gap shoot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©