3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Curious fletching color question  (Read 4065 times)

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Curious fletching color question
« on: September 29, 2020, 05:24:50 PM »
I have been wondering about this for a while.
I know a few people that hunted with all white feathers and then changed because they thought they were busted a few times because of the white.
That does make sense, because of the white danger flag deer have.
But I do know someone that is color blind and they can see blue and use blue feathers because they can find them in grass.
But deer can see blue as well. Could that be a possibility of getting busted because of blue?  :dunno:
What do you think?  :saywhat:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Curious fletching color question
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 05:43:19 PM »
My understanding is that blue is the only color that really jumps out to deer.  White reflects all colors of the light spectrum (including blue) so I avoid white and blue for fletching and wraps. Personally I think white wraps with white fletching make the best looking arrows but I wont use em simply bc of deer eyes.

Online abbatoys

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 06:03:42 PM »
Pine this is a good topic because I am ready to fletch up some shafts and was debating this issue. I love white and a bright nock as I can see the flight of the arrow so well. Often I use yellows but have steered clear of Orange and red due to the leaf colors typically on the ground. Was really considering pink and purple.
62" Thunderstick Moab  52lb @ 28"
60" Bear Takedown 45lb @ 28"
60" Bear 59'er 45lb @ 28"

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 06:28:28 PM »
I use to put alot of thought into this topic.  Used to shoot all white then went to dark camo colors now shoot chartreuse or florecent pink.  I have concluded its movement that gets you.  Far too many deer have been killed by people in jeans and white t shirts for me to think a few white or bright fletchings are going to cause me an opportunity.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 07:32:39 PM »
I'm color blind and have been told by an ophthalmologist that my color vision is much like a deer's.  I can see blues and yellows fine, but if they have greens and reds mixed in with them, I don't really see the difference, unless the added colors make it lighter or darker.  Golf balls that other people call green look yellow to me; a purple shirt looks blue to me.  Reds and greens and browns tend to look the same, unless it is a very vivid red, and then it looks red.  Red roses look the same color to me as the surrounding leaves, unless the roses are lighter or darker shades than the leaves.  Many times I have looked at a bush with red flowers on it and not noticed the flowers until I see the different shapes of the flowers from the leaves.

Based on my own color vision, I would say that arrows fletched in a drab red would be the least noticeable to a deer.  Blue fletches would be less noticeable than white, for the reasons mentioned, but more noticeable than red.  Orange fletches would be more noticeable than red, because the yellow content in orange makes them stand out to a person with my type of color blindness.

Green or brown fletches would work fine too, of course, but would be hard to find, whereas red, even a drab red, would be relatively easy to find for a person with normal color vision.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 07:53:01 PM »
There is a lot of white in nature. I think movement is more obvious than a specific color. If you use a bow quiver and white fletching just cover the fletching.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 08:26:46 PM »
Hmmm? Interesting...

I'll make coffee  :coffee:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 08:35:58 PM »
This is proof that I have too much time to ponder things.
I would never fletch with blue myself, I like pink.
Yep nothing pink in nature while hunting.
First year in Quebec bear hunting in the spring, PINK LADIES SLIPPERS EVERYWHERE.  :dunno: :laughing:
I stand corrected.  :biglaugh:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 10:49:42 PM »
I’ve heard that scientifically pink is the hardest color for deer to pick up or see.  I’ll continue to fletch with orange, as most of the places I can hunt require bowhunters to wear orange, so fletch just adds to it.
 :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 01:52:07 PM »
How many times have you seen a barked tree trunk...dead or otherwise...or moss on a rock that is so dark green it's almost blue?
I don't really worry about it. As was mentioned, deer key in on movement far more than color.
Aim small,miss small

Offline JAH518

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 02:27:02 PM »
I hate to say it but I've never considered the color of my fletching spooking deer. I typically use solid white hens and traditional barred on my hunting arrows. I've always chosen this to give me a clear indication of blood in low light. I can't say I've noticed game spooking due to my white fletching. I know I've spooked game by reflections from a rifle and once from a watch face.   
Primal Tech 2pc 60" 44@28" longbow (my baby)
Primal Tech 2pc 64" 43@28" longbow
Wengerd Ibex 18 3pc 64" 49@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 2pc 45@28"
Java Man Elkhart 52" 2pc 46@28"
DAS HT-21 Uukha Irbis longs 40's
DAS Tribute 19" DAS 3k limbs
WF25 ILF Xtreme riser

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 06:05:13 PM »
Here in Pennsylvania its legal  to bow hunt in "gun" season and brought to much attention to myself with a quiver full of white arrows.  ( I was told this more than once)  And white isn't any  good with snow.   
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 09:17:34 PM »
I usually do a barred fletch in natural, brown or green with a white butt splice. My arrows don’t stand out that way but the white splice gives me a good visual going straight away
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2020, 09:16:05 AM »
I'm color blind and have been told by an ophthalmologist that my color vision is much like a deer's.  I can see blues and yellows fine, but if they have greens and reds mixed in with them, I don't really see the difference, unless the added colors make it lighter or darker.  Golf balls that other people call green look yellow to me; a purple shirt looks blue to me.  Reds and greens and browns tend to look the same, unless it is a very vivid red, and then it looks red.  Red roses look the same color to me as the surrounding leaves, unless the roses are lighter or darker shades than the leaves.  Many times I have looked at a bush with red flowers on it and not noticed the flowers until I see the different shapes of the flowers from the leaves.

Based on my own color vision, I would say that arrows fletched in a drab red would be the least noticeable to a deer.  Blue fletches would be less noticeable than white, for the reasons mentioned, but more noticeable than red.  Orange fletches would be more noticeable than red, because the yellow content in orange makes them stand out to a person with my type of color blindness.

Green or brown fletches would work fine too, of course, but would be hard to find, whereas red, even a drab red, would be relatively easy to find for a person with normal color vision.

That is some wonderful insight! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I've certainly thought/worried about my fletching colors alerting deer.
I too love the look of white feathers...but never used them hunting.
Started off with yellow years ago. Switched when I learned deer see yellow.
Now I mostly use grey and greens for hunting.
Harder to see in the woods....but I don't worry about the color itself alerting deer.
Might get rid of the green after reading this....lol
Never really liked red fletch...just don't for some reason.
Color choice for me is more of a confidence thing really.....one less thing to worry about.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 09:27:07 AM by Zradix »
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2020, 09:31:39 AM »
McDave
What do these fletchings look like to your eyes. Very easy to find in the woods. From a tree stand not likely an issue but ground hunting might be.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2020, 09:35:08 AM »
If you don't want to use white or bright fletching add tracers to the arrow. I use rabbit zonkers(usually white or yellow) I get from a fly fishing shop and fletch tape or super glue to put them on.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2020, 09:41:33 AM »
I've been using 2 white and 1 gray barred, with white nock and white wrap for 25 years. I haven't had any problems with it spooking deer. Deer are used to seeing white on other deer. Quick jerky movements with the white fletchings could trigger some response because it might resemble a deer abruptly raising a flag. Slow even movements would not be likely to result in alarm.
Keep em Sharp!

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2020, 10:05:18 AM »
I’m always deciding what colors to use. I have used a bunch of different stuff.
I have found for MY eyes. Chartreuse in at least 1 of the fletching, I pick up that color very well in low light. Seems to have a glowing hue..
I have used red many times and like red.
This season on one of my setups. I am using 2 red and 1 blue. So we shall see. I’m not very concerned having 1 blue. Now, if I did a 3 fletch or 4 in all blue...
No, I probably wouldn’t use that for hunting. But Target, Sure.

I have used about every color but pink, purple and black. I see good many guys using dark colors now. But their arrows have tail lights( lighted nocks) so it don’t matter much.
White fletch have stood out to me good in low light. What I mean is seeing someone else moving through the woods. We as hunters pick up on white flash quickly. And I would hunk deer are the same. But then again. They pic up on any movement quickly lol.

One thing is for sure. Most of us like a pretty arrow. Now mater the combo used. It’s one of the ways for some to express beauty in our craft.

Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline MGH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2020, 10:50:59 AM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©