3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2020 -Solo Alaska Moose Hunt  (Read 4449 times)

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
2020 -Solo Alaska Moose Hunt
« on: September 29, 2020, 09:53:05 PM »
I planned to hunt caribou this fall, but the trip fell through. So I had to scramble to find a new pilot and and in mid August I was scheduled for a moose hunt.  This would be my seventh solo moose hunt in Alaska. I went in for 18 days in September and never saw another human. It was a new area for me. I was flown into a lake up hill near timberline. I would hike generally down hill and watched the river valley from a look-out where my calling could hopefully reach the ears of bull moose that might be responsive to a cow in heat. 

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2020 -Solo Alaska Moose Hunt
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 09:55:30 PM »

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 09:58:45 PM »
This will be good :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 10:00:35 PM »
Looking from the lookout.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 10:12:21 PM »
 :archer: Gorgeous country.  :campfire:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 10:40:31 PM »
I had a bull come in and try to posture his way between the bull I was imitating through calling and raking, and the cow in heat I was perpetrating. After over an hour,  the bull came up to within 100 yards. As he came closer and determined approximately where the source of the moose were, I noticed it would back off and and circle. Part of the issue was the bull was afraid to be confront by me the bull. As it came close to 50 yards, it will run back if it heard me break a stick or brush a twig. I had to stop bull grunting and be less aggressive on my end. I also had to slip back and circle back my self to keep my scent and wind advantage. Eventually, I had moved to a position of no more cover and had to hide behind a last spruce. The bull slowly cautiously crept back, he was posturing his rack and started grunting. All he had to do was break across and open bowl, and I would have a twenty yard broadside shot. Instead, the bull decided to take an uphill course and ended up slightly uphill. At 40 yards he ended up out of range of my shooting. I could only watch as the bull filled his nostrills with my sent. And now real fear of man spooked him more than his fear of confronting a more mature bull.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 10:46:19 PM »

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 10:50:59 PM »
Other bulls would turn and meet me half way , but eventfully decide it was not worth their effort to climb up and fight or challenge a bull with a cow,

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 10:52:11 PM »
You have to be a herd bull just to make the hunt.

Looking forward to hearing more of the adventure.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 10:55:29 PM »

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 10:58:27 PM »
I view from camp.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2020, 11:45:02 PM »
For a week it rained nearly every day or some portion of it. Typical September weather. Finally I had what I wanted.... a bull bedded in the valley in sight. I watched it for 15 minutes and decided it would stay put. Just as I was getting ready to go down from the lookout, I found another bedded bull 200 yards from the first one also in view. So that sealed the deal, I shouldered my pack and down toward the landmarks I targeted. Eventually after an hour, I did find the empty bed of the second bull. I crept through the willow marsh and slipped between the spruce trees, listening. I heard the grunts of a bull close by, within 100 yards. I could hear him rake his antlers and even pound the earth making a rut pit. But in the wind, the bulls exact location was tough for me to determine. Fearing that if it moved and I would not be able to hear where it went, I started to soft cow call only. I decided not to bull grunt, based the timid reaction I got from the bull a few days earlier. The long mournful  calling worked. The bull was coming closer with deliberate  raking and grunted his way towards me and now I could hear he was now less than 50 yards away. I positioned myself on the edge of a nice shooting lane. The bull continued to advance, as I remained silent.  Finally his shape took form. There were three dead spruce trees between us. At 16 yards I peered three the dead limbs with my binoculars, and my heart sank as I finally got a look at the front of the rack and only saw two brow points. The bull was not overly wide so I figured it was the first bull that I spotted from the hill that had now moved in the general area that the second bull was in. I watched as the bull raked his antlers through the brush, grunted loud, and postured his head gear rocking back and forth as it stepped clear and walked passed me at 12 yards. Gritting my teeth, I could only stand motionless and watch as he broke the plane of my scent in the wind. The bull did not even look in my direction, but bolted away as it ran across the open swamp. This management unit requires 3 brow points  on a side to be legal if not over 50 inches wide. This bull may have been wider than 50, but I did not have time to clarify with all of the obstructions. I stayed around and called some more in case the other bull, which was my main intentions, was still in the area. It did not turn out right, but was still a very intense experience and one I'm glad I had. I pondered all this during the long hard climb back to my high elevation camp.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2020, 11:53:43 PM »
I had enough time during this trip to absorb a couple days of being socked into the tent because of heavy rain and fog, but I did end up seeing 8 bulls, and got a chance to watch 7 black bears during the hunt. I did a lot of hiking, climbing, and fought the bad weather, which caused me to lose 16 pounds during the trip. It was a good learning experience, but alas, I have to join the ranks of many hunters who return home with no fresh meat, but are rewarded with an adventure not soon forgotten. Mike

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2020, 11:59:45 PM »

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 12:00:40 AM »

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 12:07:57 AM »
Always enjoy seeing/reading about your adventures.  Keep 'em coming.

Murray
Murray Seratt

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2020, 12:18:41 AM »
Thank you for taking us along.  :archer:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2020, 12:45:13 AM »
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2020, 03:30:04 AM »
Great story and pics. Thanks for taking us along.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©