3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Old Guy" Question...??  (Read 3403 times)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
"Old Guy" Question...??
« on: October 01, 2020, 03:28:58 PM »
Just wondering....??

At what age did you older fellows, decide/realize that you needed to drop some bow weight??

I haven't bowhunted the last couple years, as I've been chasing squirrels with our Plott hound and a .22
This year now that I'm retired, my nephew wants me to go bowhunting with him. I strung up my 50# Kodiak T/D and started shooting last march. Long story short, I strained my left shoulder! I've been shooting 50# since I was 16, and have never had an issue. I ordered a set of Bear 50th anniversary in 40# and figured I'd  baby my shoulder while I waited for them to come in. Hope for the best, so to speak?!

Well, they arrived a few weeks ago!! I strung up the bow with the new limbs and went out back to shoot.
I was shaking as I was getting ready to draw.... Start close, go slow, don't overdo it... I drew back slowly, waiting for the pain...... My fingers found their spot and I settled in. I focused on the spot, and let the string slip from my fingers....

That first arrow nailed "Bucky" the button buck!! Alright, it was a little far back, but hey I didn't miss!!
I walked up to pull my arrow and process things. A little soreness drawing back? But no pain! Try another one?
I ended up shooting 5 arrows that day. I've been shooting 5-6 arrows a day and happy to say, I'm "in there" at 10 yards, good at 15, and "pretty good" at 20. Still have a little soreness when drawing, but not real pain or lingering soreness after shooting!

Hopefully, I dodged a bullet!!!!   :pray:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: "Old Guy" Question...??
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 04:31:24 PM »
I started dropping down in weight around age 60.  Up until that time shot about 55-65#.  At 74, I'm now shooting 45-50# for hunting and 5# lighter for targets.

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 04:55:34 PM »
At 65 years 55lb works but I used the HOPE bow in September and really like her at 50lb's...better built bow than mine with carbon limbs made her shoot like my mid 50's bows ...SO...I'm thinking there may be a drop in weight in my future without a performance loss...long ways from the 83lbs of my youth !!!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 05:02:04 PM »
I started dropping down in weight around age 60.  Up until that time shot about 55-65#.  At 74, I'm now shooting 45-50# for hunting and 5# lighter for targets.

I'm practically identical in all respects, except I’m 76 (but who's counting?).

I've had a few minor shoulder flare-ups over the years, but nothing that required surgery, and my one and only case of tennis elbow about 10 years ago.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Yellah nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 05:34:54 PM »
Two rebuilt shoulders at 21 and 26 yrs. Doctors said, "your archery days are over." I thought they were right...until I got a little resentful of them telling me..."no!" So...backvthen I STARTED at 60 and 70 lbs with compound and even shot at 80 a time or two. Tried 90 but it was a little much. Settled on 70 for years. Then...about 5 years ago....something popped....so I sold everything off. I actually used archery as therapy to keep my surgeries stable and build muscle. The VA rated me at 40%  even before that....but they applauded my efforts.
When things started going South here earlier this year I decided to roll the dice one last time. I might hafta hunt for food...so I bought a Bear Wolverine takedown. At 40 lbs. It feels easy drawing and holding. Some days I shoot a dozen shots, others 50 or so. I hit out to 30 yds if I am anchoring and releasing properly. I am 63....but have been told that due to police work and Corrections(30 some years of daily bar fights kinda), my odometer is past the "best by" date. This all helps me to limit the eventual loss of ability I know I will face. Eventually the 40% will be 50 or more....but you know....I didn't just sit around and wait for it. I am making the best of it and living my life. I FIRMLY believe(and KNOW) that...I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. And you guys on this site are fun to talk to!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 06:13:45 PM »
At about age 50, I decided a 78# bow was too much. I went down to a 65# bow for several years and then to 55#. I eventually began to shoot a 53# bow and continue to draw that weight. Actually, that is not accurate since I pull less than 28 inches. So I am actually shooting in the upper 40's. However, if I need bows rated in the 40 range, I have that covered as well. I had one shoulder repaired and now need surgery on the other.
Sam

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 06:47:54 PM »
Let’s say I working on it. I was able to shoot 60#-65# bows up to about 2 years ago. Now my 55# recurve bows aren’t as much fun as they used to be. I have a set of 45# ILF limbs and a set of 45# limbs for my Bear TD that feel real good. It’s my neck that gets sore more so than my shoulders when I shoot my 55# recurve limbs.
  What’s worse right this minute is a sore lower back, can’t do much of anything until it stops hurting. So I will miss a 80 target 3D this weekend. I am not into those “little pills” so I just have to wait it out.
  Forgot to mention, just turned 75 in August.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 07:37:49 PM »
I dropped weight early as a cure to fight target panic, maybe late 40’s or early 50’s in age. It helped a lot !!  Now 40-45 @ 29” and I’m still shooting everyday!! I’m now 68 years old
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 07:56:27 PM »
2 years ago, at age 71, I dropped to 44#.
Keep em Sharp!

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 08:42:39 PM »
I think I just got my draw weight dropped last month. Doc says I have a popeye arm. My 60 lb is too much to pull right now so I dug out my 45 lb hickory and I can shoot that but I need more practice. Maybe I will be able to hunt later in season.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 09:01:39 PM »
61 here, dropped from 50 to 45 last year. Shoulder pain, held off shooting for a few months this spring, so far ( those particular ) pains haven’t returned.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 09:35:48 PM »
Worked up to shooting 65# DH Hunter at 23 and have been healthy so far.  Still shooting 64-71# hope to continue for a bit.
 :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 09:37:53 PM »
Thanks for all the responses Brothers!!! :notworthy:
Like I said, Hopefully I dodged a bullet!

It seems the average weight drop is about 10# and seems to do the trick :archer2:

I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2020, 09:39:30 PM »
I’ll be 68 on this coming Saturday.  I shot  60# until about 10 years ago, and then 55#, just sold my last 55# a couple weeks ago. I think I could probably still shoot 55, but 50 is more fun.

I bought a really nice 43# elkheart, for the future, but so far it seems too light, as of now anyway.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2020, 09:53:58 PM »
About 4 years ago I dropped down to 51# from 58# because of my bow shoulder.  Finally had an MRI 2 months ago and found out my shoulder is bone on bone.  Borrowed a friends 45# Centaur and it feels great.  Centered pouched a doe 10 days ago with complete penetration. I'm 72.     

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2020, 10:07:36 PM »
Will be 65 in a couple of weeks and am shooting a 45# longbow and a 46# recurve. Impinged rotator cuff on both shoulders and the bow arm shoulder is getting pretty close to bone on bone. One doc said quit shooting and another said drop to 40#, so I dropped from the low 50# range and compromised at 45#. I don't shoot as often as I did in my 50s, but I work on form and concentration and make the most of my practice sessions.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Long Barrel Colt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2020, 11:55:23 PM »
Dang! here I am just starting out and about to turn 64 and right now I'm shooting a 40 LB Bear Kodiak. I was hoping to eventually go up in draw weight. I'm going to move up in draw weight if I have train with Iron
Coyotes Shot No Waiting
Them Mountains For Animals And Savages
Bear Kodiak 59 Reissue #40
Black Widow PSR V #45
Black Widow PL V #50

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2020, 05:52:47 AM »
Arthritis at base of neck  and shoulders is chasing me down in bow weight.  I'm at 55#'s now at age 63, shot 65# and 70#s for years.  Have lower weight limbs on hand already:(
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2020, 09:01:46 AM »
For most of us, we must adjust to stay in the game we love.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2020, 10:00:48 AM »
Had to have shoulder surgery do to an injury from back in the Air Force.  I was 54 then.  Had to drop about 10 pounds off the top end.  That was 16 years ago.  Still pulling 47 to 48 pounds.  Going on 71 now.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©