3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Upstate SC first trad bow  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Kyle Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
Upstate SC first trad bow
« on: October 03, 2020, 10:10:26 AM »
Hello everyone, I'm looking to buy my first trad bow. I joined this site about 5 years ago with the same goal in mind but for financial reasons I wasn't able get one at that time. Now that I'm finally able to get one I'm trying to find a store that has all the different variations of bows(recurve, hill style, reflex deflex) to shoot so I can make an educated decision on what type of bow would work best for me before I purchase one. I live in Taylors SC and Cabela's is the only store that I've found that has "some" and they only had a recurve stung up ready to shoot when I went. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Upstate SC first trad bow
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 10:45:40 AM »
Cabellas is a joke regarding trad archery equipment, as are most other sporting goods stores.  You would be MUCH better off by attending some trad shoots and simply checking out the other Archer’s bows and even asking to shoot them.  Believe me, most would not mind at all (assuming you don’t do something stupid like dry fire it 😳).  Heck, if you join a trad archery club, for example the Carolina Traditional Archers, which has a shoot the first Saturday of each month, there are members with lots of bows and some might even let you borrow a bow for a while to shoot and see if you like it.

My son is in the process of transitioning from compound to recurve, so I bought him a 50# Sammick Sage For pretty cheap and it is a decent starter trad bow.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Kyle Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 03:40:26 PM »
Yeah, I quickly found out that Cabela's isn't where I want to be shopping for trad stuff. If I cant find anything closer to me then ill probably give the Carolina Traditional Archers club a shot. I've looked into the Sammick but I think I would like to invest in something that I can grow into and not out of. Thank you for your feedback!

arrow30

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 03:55:18 PM »
a really nice starter bow is the galaxy ember, (longbow or recurve) you can get extra limbs for cheap.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 04:43:14 PM »
Kyle, I’m near Simpsonville, mostly have recurves. If you are right handed and want to shoot mine to see how you like them you are welcome to do that sometime. I don’t have the collection lots of folks have but have a few. Cabelas in Greenville usually has a few Bears usually a Montana which I haven’t shot but does get good reviews on the Archery sites. Have a Outhwest Archery Spyder on order that should be here any day, supposed to be a very good bow for a really good price , we’ll see.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Kyle Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 04:55:13 PM »
@arrow30 ill keep that one in mind once I find out what type of bow I want.

@MCNSC yes I'm right handed and would love to to shoot/hold some of the ones you have if we can find times that work for both of us. Cabela's did have some Montana's but they wouldn't string one up to let me try it.

Offline SlowBowKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 06:25:53 PM »
The Southwest Archery Spyder is a great budget bow—after a limb twisted on my dad’s vintage Ben Pearson Raider, I switched to the Spyder for this season.It will definitely outshoot me. Keep in mind that you may want a higher-end bow to be your workhorse, but s#*$ happens, so it’s not a bad idea to have a back up at your disposal!
-King

Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 07:07:13 PM »
Just give me a shout, I’m around most of the time, unless I’m in the woods. I’ll send you a PM
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Online bluemelonchitlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 01:35:05 AM »
Too bad you're right handed. I've got several bows you could try (I live in Greer) but alas they're all LH bows.
CTA is a great club. My son and I used to be members.
Revelation 3:20

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 06:37:36 AM »
If you ever get down to Aiken, I have a bunch of RH bows 35 to 55 pounds you could try...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Kyle Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 08:43:42 AM »
@tippit I might just have to make a detour to Aiken the next time I head to Atlanta then.

@bluemelonchitlin That is very unfortunate; you are basically right next door too.

@SlowBowKing you are right, a backup would be nice. I guess I've got my "cough" compound "cough" if I absolutely need to use it.

Offline timothybmay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 03:59:18 PM »
Greenwood here.  A year or so ago I bought a spyder and it is my only trad.  I enjoy it thoroughly.   I spend my money in firearms but I use the spyder in the yard and have learned to shoot decently with it.  It works for me.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2020, 04:46:24 PM »
If you go to a CTA club shoot look for Bill Stroupe or Mike Treadway, both fine bowyers and I believe CTA members.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kyle Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2020, 07:05:20 PM »
@Pat B sounds good, ill look for them. I'm going to try and head up the first Sat in November.

Offline SC Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2020, 07:20:45 PM »
Kyle,
I am in York.
I have both custom and stock longbows (Big Jim Thunderchild to Bear Montana) and expensive to cheap recurves (Bear T/D to Greattree takedown. About 19 different bows. You are welcome to try them out. I may even be willing to sell some of them.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Pope & Young General Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Kyle Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2020, 08:19:24 PM »
@SC Bowhunter I sent you a pm.

Offline SC Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter