3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heaviest whitetail?  (Read 4370 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heaviest whitetail?
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2020, 10:40:42 PM »
#223 and #218 dressed.  Half dozen 195+ dressed
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2020, 04:48:15 AM »
Mike ,
   Is that “Shakes” ? I don’t recall seeing or having a photo of that one but if it isn’t him it must be his twin.
  Here’s my 2017 I didn’t find for several days but I moved him out of some briars for photos and I don’t know what he weighed but in this picture I’m 300# on the hoof to give you an idea.

Offline Nole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2020, 05:49:14 AM »
My heaviest whitetail weighed in a 210 lbs and we have had one that my brother killed weigh 220.  Both are huge for South Georgia bucks!

Offline MGH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2020, 08:21:31 AM »
236lbs dressed and 92lbs of boned out meat. 

Offline 1Arrow1Kill

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Too Young to Be This Damn Old!
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2020, 10:35:07 AM »
Put a perfect shot on a tall-tined 12 pointer that when I recovered him I knew he was way too heavy for me to drag back to the Jeep    . . .    and then I woke-up (needed to pee).

I hunt the deep timber of Michigan's Manistee National Forest and these high pressured, smart, forage eating deer just don't get large enough to put on a scale.  I'm too old to be dragging brutes out of the forest anyway, but am envious of some of the deer I've seen in this post!  Go Get 'Em Trad Gangsters!
I Become the Tree until I Become the Arrow.
Practice - Practice - Practice - Beer.  Works for me . . .

Offline MGH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2020, 11:33:37 AM »
Put a perfect shot on a tall-tined 12 pointer that when I recovered him I knew he was way too heavy for me to drag back to the Jeep    . . .    and then I woke-up (needed to pee).

I hunt the deep timber of Michigan's Manistee National Forest and these high pressured, smart, forage eating deer just don't get large enough to put on a scale.  I'm too old to be dragging brutes out of the forest anyway, but am envious of some of the deer I've seen in this post!  Go Get 'Em Trad Gangsters!

The pics I posted were of a MI buck as well, but just outside of Kent County around farm ground.  I grew up hunting Northern MI cedar swamps and big timber and could not agree with you more, although the APR's are growing some impressive bucks in some areas!!

Offline 1Arrow1Kill

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Too Young to Be This Damn Old!
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2020, 11:44:53 AM »
That's a real  nice MI buck MGH.  We have been seeing and harvesting larger antlered deer in Pure michigan since the Antler Point Restriction was enacted.  Had to let some nice 'freezer deer' walk though because the points didn't add up.  Makes hunting a tad more interesting as I don't want to make a mistake and shoot one that doesn't have the correct number of points.  My eye glasses and binoculars get a workout before the decision to shoot is made.  Shoot Straight!
I Become the Tree until I Become the Arrow.
Practice - Practice - Practice - Beer.  Works for me . . .

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2020, 12:02:40 PM »
Most Oklahoma deer are on the small side, believe my biggest buck was in the 150# dressed range. Most were only 120-130#. But a friend and co-worker killed a monster just a mile from my house. Dressed weight was over 220# but not sure how much because his scale bottoms out @ 220#.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Mighty Big Country

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2020, 12:03:41 PM »
The weight of bucks has always had a degree of mystery unless they were actually put on a scale.  The local club I was a member of for 20+ years when I lived in Illinois (Central Illinois Bowhunters) had a history of weighing deer after they were field dressed for end of year statistics for club members dating back to 1970.  Most 1.5 year old bucks average 135 lbs., 2.5 year old bucks 160 lbs., 3.5 year old bucks 180 lbs., and 4.5 year and older 200+.  I have always laughed when I see a photo of a 1.5 old buck and the guy said it weighed 200 lbs.  Did you weigh it or guess?  My brother shot a 5 x 5 Illinois buck over the weekend.  It looked to me like a 3.5 year old buck and tipped the scale dressed right at 200 lbs. 

Offline Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2020, 03:24:24 PM »
I killed a doe in Pennsylvania three or four years ago that dressed out at 156 lbs. 
I just heard about a buck killed yesterday from the same part of the state (north central PA) that was 267 lbs. live weight.  That's the biggest PA buck I've ever heard about.
Javaman Elkheart, 58", 51 @ 30
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 53 @ 29
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 61 @ 29

Offline Cookie125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2020, 10:52:43 AM »
We've had a lot of bucks between 225-250, but my biggest was 255. My uncle on the other hand went three years in a row with bucks maxing out a 300lb scale about 15 years ago. Two years ago a buddy had one go 315 from southeast Kansas.

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2020, 12:44:51 PM »
Last years weighed 240 dressed. Ended up getting 90 pounds of meat off of it. I was very happy with that!

Offline Howitser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2020, 12:59:07 PM »
Wow, you guys are getting some monster deer. I only see those guys on trail cam.

My heaviest was a 30-30 killed 165 lbs. 8 point and my big bow kill was a 148 lbs. 6 point.....dont cancel me cuz it were with my ancient 1985 compound. My recurve has lighter, run of the mill, public land deer.
Howie
Never forget our POW/MIA's

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2020, 05:55:45 PM »
Wow, you guys are getting some monster deer. I only see those guys on trail cam.

My heaviest was a 30-30 killed 165 lbs. 8 point and my big bow kill was a 148 lbs. 6 point.....dont cancel me cuz it were with my ancient 1985 compound. My recurve has lighter, run of the mill, public land deer.
Don't feel bad.  My best bucks to date are a rifle and several modern bow kills.  One average buck is all I've taken so far with a single string along with several doe and a bunch of pigs. 
But every animal I take with a recurve or longbow is a big deal to me.  No matter how much bone it has or how much it strains the scale.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Ron Rothhaar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2020, 04:54:00 PM »
I see there was a question of the weight of dads biggest,  the one you were referring to weighed 279 guts in,  and he killed one within a few pounds the year before.  I weighed dads biggest in iowa at 255, but found later that wgen i pushed up on the scale to hand the deer on it, the scale would move (mechanical scale) minus 20 pounds. So would have been 275.  However, his highest scoring deer, and mine also, were NOT the heaviest ones, the had heavier beams but shorter points. Also i will add, a shoutout one way congratulations to my little brother on his 2020 buck, nice job!

Offline Ron Rothhaar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2020, 05:00:11 PM »
Note,  correction,  the one indoors was that iowa deeri referred to, with the "off" scale. It was 275, the biggest taken off the farm. That huge 9 point, that was on the front of pbs magazine, the magazine i also laid on my booner for pictures in 2018, weighed only 209 pounds live weight, yet gross scored 273.

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2020, 09:21:31 PM »
The biggest one I have ever seen was just over 300 lbs. but he was a pen raised breeder buck that my neighbor owned.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2020, 11:20:59 AM »
The 10 point I killed in Oct. was a brute.  I didn't try to weigh him, but I got 109 pounds of meat back so do the math.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2020, 11:34:57 AM »
198lbs field dressed Macon County, Georgia 9pt buck.  150lb doe (live weight) Macon County, Georgia.  The doe only had 3 legs but whatever caused her to lose it had completely healed.  She had twin yearlings with her.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2020, 07:40:07 AM »
After 13 years of bowhunting, I killed my first deer. I was tired of waiting for one bigger than my dog. He field dressed at 220#. I found out then that I have no perception of deer size while perched 12 up in a tree. A few years back, I shot my biggest one, dressing out at 230#. This years buck was 150 lbs. I no longer discriminate.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©