3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: leather v. rubber boots  (Read 4069 times)

Offline hessian

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
leather v. rubber boots
« on: October 09, 2020, 09:19:23 AM »
Good morning all, I've always worn rubber boots while deer hunting but as my hunting is more ground related now I want more support while walking. My question is do you feel wearing leather lace up boots has any ill effect regarding scent v tall rubber boots? I understand opinions vary but I do appreciate everyones.

Adam

Offline JAH518

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: leather v. rubber boots
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 09:58:58 AM »
For years I used canvas hiking boots for Hunting because I'm in Florida and they breathed much better in the heat. I can recall several times I watched deer get to the trail I walk in on stop turn and go back the way they came. After seeing this I started adding a drag rag to my walks in, it helped but still didn't cover my sent trail. I switched to rubber boots the past few year and have watched deer walk right down the same trail I just used. The rubber boots have also allowed me to put my pant legs inside to boots, I think this has as much to do with is as the boot material. My personal conclusion is YES it makes a difference.   
Primal Tech 2pc 60" 44@28" longbow (my baby)
Primal Tech 2pc 64" 43@28" longbow
Wengerd Ibex 18 3pc 64" 49@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 2pc 45@28"
Java Man Elkhart 52" 2pc 46@28"
DAS HT-21 Uukha Irbis longs 40's
DAS Tribute 19" DAS 3k limbs
WF25 ILF Xtreme riser

Offline 1Arrow1Kill

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Too Young to Be This Damn Old!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 10:03:32 AM »
Hey Adam,  I switched from rubber boots to lace-up boots decades ago.  Never cared for the fit and feel of tall rubber boots and the little sloppiness of fit made going up climbers and sticks slippery business.  I enjoy the fit and feel of quality leather/cordura boots.  The support and traction is better too.  I spent good money on a pair of Danners for warm weather hunting and a pair of insulted Rockys for cold weather and use them exclusively for deer hunting.  I do maintain them for long-life and keep them as scent-free as possible.  Regarding the smell - any deer worthy of a ride in my Jeep which crosses my trail or goes downwind of my position is most likely going to win that round regardless of which boots I wear.
I Become the Tree until I Become the Arrow.
Practice - Practice - Practice - Beer.  Works for me . . .

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 01:12:29 PM »
I only wear rubber boots when necessary for water or mud.  Have killed better than 90% of my game while I was wearing leather boots.  I hunt the wind and am extremely thoughtful and careful on stand approach strategy. I've experimented with knee highs and my opinion is that if you are walking through typical weeds, grass or brush deer will pick up your trail regardless. You drop enough body scent and brush up against plenty of stuff. If walking a groomed trail or open logging road with little or no debris they dont seem to pick up on my entry trail regardless of shoe type.

I just approach the stand correctly, and only cross trails within range at a place I can shoot to in case a deer I want picks up my trail.  On my own farms I groom trails, both deer trails for game movement, and access trails to minimize sound and scent trail.

R

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 01:17:44 PM »
I just took a vid the other night of a small buck that hit by path in and he followed it up and down. I was wearing rubber bottom LL bean hunting boot.  I only wear them in the woods.  I’m hunting private ground too as I think that matters. 

I think they smell you every time....
Tim B

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 01:56:10 PM »
I don’t know one person in my area that uses rubber boots. I think there must be a big difference in what deer can smell in different climates and terrain. For instance, I always try to be careful how I come into my blind but I rarely have a coues deer that crosses my trail stop and go the other way. Maybe it is because it is hot and extremely low humidity where I hunt. I have no idea if that makes since or not. Coues deer are some of the most alert animals on the planet and I feel like they have a very good since of smell. My friend walked over and checked his trail cam before getting in the blind which kinda concerned me but we didn’t have one deer that walked by there that got alerted. I don’t have the answers but there is something different from what I see when I am out verses what I read in posts from people in other areas of the country. Also the terrain is very rocky and that type terrain may not hold scent like other terrain.

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 02:21:40 PM »
No, I've never seen a difference between either type.  The deer smell me not my boots  :goldtooth:

I switch out depending what I'm doing and the amount of snowfall.   
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 04:34:11 PM »
I agree with Yooper. I think they smell "human" whether from your body odor, boots or whatever. I have never found a means to completely solve this issue, so I try to make my trail into the stand from a direction that I wouldn't have a shot anyway, making less problematic.
Sam

Offline Will Telluteyrd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 10:05:54 AM »
I bleated in a nice Buck and when he hit my track in the snow he jumped back like he got shocked. He didn't hesitate and was out of there.

The other night I hunted a spot and entered the woods on a deer trail. A hour later a small buck entered the woods using the same trail. You could see he was nervous but settled down.  I'm thinking if there is a lot of people in the woods they get used to human scent.

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 11:59:50 AM »
I think there’s little doubt that leather boots leave more of your scent on the ground than rubber boots. A porous vs non-porous material. This is pretty basic stuff. If they cross your trail when you’re wearing leather boots, they’re going to smell you. It certainly doesn’t mean that you won’t be successful wearing leather boots. Obviously, many hunters are successful wearing them. And I get that the leather boots are more comfortable. I have been in the stand and seen a buck hit my trail and tense up even though I was wearing rubber boots. I’m not sure if that means even rubber boots allow some scent through or the smell of the rubber boots were foreign to him and made hime nervous. The question was do leather boots leave more scent than rubber boots, and in my mind that’s an easy one, Yes.  But wear what you want and enjoy your hunt.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2020, 08:48:37 PM »
Unless I’m hunting wet areas I will wear rubber bottom leather boots such as a good Schnees or LL Bean boot, the Schnee being a better but more expensive boot. I tuck my pants legs in the boots and have not been busted that I know of from my ground scent. If I’m in the hills with rocks and such, I wear a good quality leather hiker with gaiters. If I’m in flat wet areas then I will use my muck or lacrosse rubber boots . I do think rubber boots build more scent inside by not breathing and scent can stovepipe out the top
You obviously need to take care when approaching your stand to stay away from where you expect the deer to approach from, don’t touch brush and walk where you don’t think they will

Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline PAINTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 12:49:41 PM »
For years I wore LaCross rubber boots, great boots, but many times saw deer hit my trail and go back where they came from.  That and the bit loose fit had me experiment with Cabela's snake boots. They are tall and waterproof, great for climbing and ruff or wet terrain.  We don't have a problem with snakes here and I don't really see much difference in deer reaction.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 09:00:15 AM »
Of killed a lot of deer and hogs before & after the rubber boot 'craze' if you want to call it came about, and since as well.  I use them very little,  but in the right place but not for sent control.  I use them on flat land and in swamp bottoms.

I just prefer the fit, flexabilaty, stability and support that a lace up boot gives me. 

I recently got some Thorogood leather boots and I'm liking them a lot so far. I might try a pair of their rubber boots when mine wear out.

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2020, 10:09:07 AM »
I've always been a fan of LL Bean boots....

As a Retirement present, I ordered a new pair of 12" "Maine Hunting Shoes"
They should last me till I die... (or as least, can't walk anymore)   :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2020, 01:38:10 PM »
I used to believe that rubber boots covered up your human scent so the deer wouldn’t smell you. I became a believer several years ago that this is hogwash. I had my rubber boots on and we were playing “hide and seek” with one of my hunting buddies young dog. That rascal stuck his little nose on the trail I walked and came right to me! If a dog can smell my tracks then I know for sure that a deer can! I’ve come to the conclusion that you are NOT going to fool a deer’s nose. Period! Your only bet is to play the wind and take routes to and from your stand where you think the deer will not be traveling. Just my two cents. Tradcat

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2020, 06:34:05 PM »
It depends on your area and kind of "traffic".  I have switched between Muck boots, LL Bean and another for few decades.  Looking in my field notes, if it is a place where little hunting pressure or no hiking trail the scent left matters (especially getting into a bedding area).  One thing I do to my non rubber boots is I treat them (old Marine habit), I use Montana Pitch blend on the leather.  In past when I did not or used something else, the deer seem to react to the other sealer, not as much if at all with the Montana Pitch blend.  I cann't prove it, put I believe the Montana Pitch blend, helps keep my scent from "puffing" out as much.  I have never had a deer react to my "trained" rubber boots.  I always have bloused my pant trousers, out of habit and think this helps as well.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2020, 08:14:50 PM »
I dunno.  I've had deer spook at my scent trail and others not notice it, with both types of boots.  Agree with what was previously mentioned regarding pant cuffs.  Good idea to tuck them in to keep scent transmission down. 

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2020, 11:03:03 AM »
Tucking pant cuffs does nothing but let odor escape through the top.  Heavy, moist odor.  If you put a second layer over the opening...maybe a little better.

I prefer leather these days.  Rubber is for when it's swampy.  My buddy had a raccoon follow his rubber boot trail straight to his ladder a couple days ago.  They smell it regardless.  That neoprene carp on boots is even worse.  Ever smell a wetsuit?
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline David Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Howard Hill Tembo
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2020, 12:12:08 PM »
I go out of my way to loop way around and come in to my stand without crossing areas that I expect deer to pass. Even then you have deer walk across your trail I’ve seen everything from locking up and turning inside out and running to sniff a little and walk on to even nose to ground and follow my trail for a little ways. You just never know what the deer will do. And that’s been the same rubber boots or leather boots. I walk a lot sometimes 2 miles to my stand from truck and good leather boots are way more comfortable and my feet sweat less and stay warmer so unless I’m crossing water I prefer leather. This year the swamp  I hunt was bone dry I wore leather boots the whole trip which was nice.
I’d say amount of time since you walked by makes a difference. 30 minutes after you walked a trail a deer will get a lot stronger scent than 6 hours later.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2020, 01:56:51 PM »
I usually wear rubber boots. I’ve been doing it so long it second nature. I don’t hunt any wet areas but most mornings the woods and field are wet or damp. Some of my ladder stands I don’t have a bow hook or holder any where handy so I stick the bottom limb of my longbow down in my muck boot. That works really well and I can’t do that with a leather lace up boot.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©