3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Aluminum shaft size for longbow?  (Read 279 times)

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
Aluminum shaft size for longbow?
« on: April 20, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »
I am acquiring a Hummingbird longbow, it is 62" and draws 46# @ 28 inches. My draw length is 29 inches. In rummaging through our storage building I found some older 2117 aluminum shafts that are almost 30" long. My question is, will these shoot very well out of this bow? I will have to have the plastic vanes stripped off of them and have them re-fletched with feathers. I will be the first to admit that I know NOTHING about getting the proper arrows for this bow. I was told that 2018's should do fine off of them, if so....what kind of trouble/flight should I expect to get with these?

Thanks in advance.......

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Hoffman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Aluminum shaft size for longbow?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »
Just my opinion! 2117 will be way to stiff a 2018 maybe to stiff also. If you shot 2018 30" with 225gr or so maybe you could get it. Look up Shawn Leonard he is very helpful with arrow selection. He helped me with arrows for DH hunter.Oh, they will also hit knock right,if you are right handed if to stiff.

Chad
For GOD so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. JOHN 3:16

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »
imho,2018s and 2117s,will be to stiff out of that setup,assuming you are shooting a 125 grain point.i would think a 2016 would be a better choice.  :thumbsup:    :coffee:
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »
Actualy a 30" 2016 would probly be just right.....   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »
I was thinking 1916 or 2013, but at 29" maybe a 2016 would be the one. You could always go to a 145 or 175 grain head if it turned out to be too stiff.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »
30" 2016 would give you the best tuning options for head weights. A 2117 might shoot for you with a 250 grain point. Since you already have the 2117 it's worth a shot. A field point test kit is a lot less than a dozen shafts.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
Thank-You all for responding. It sounds like the 2016 is going to be the way to go. If a fella wanted to order some and have them delivered to him in a "reasonable time"....say like around the end of this coming week.....Where might I order some at 30 inches? I can't wait to shoot this bow...I'm stoked. Last weekend I attended my first Trad-Expo and shot everything that they had there in low poundage. I had NEVER before shot a longbow. I shot each and every long bow that they had there better than I shot any of the recurves....go figure? I absolutely fell for the Hummingbird line of bows. I simply looked where I wanted to hit, drew it back, anchored at the corner of my mouth,let my hand go limp,and it hit RIGHT where I was looking. I know that I still have a LOT to learn, and am learning more each and every day from this forum. A "word of warning" You aint seen the last of me! Once again, Thank-You to each and everyone of you. I think I'm gonna like this "Traditional Transformation" that I am going through.

Winterhawk1960

Winter Hawk
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©