3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Great Northern Critter Getter  (Read 3214 times)

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
Great Northern Critter Getter
« on: October 18, 2020, 08:38:10 PM »
Hey Guys,

I'm on a R/D kick right now, and have been dying to get one of these, although I have never seen one in person or shot one.

For those of you with experience, could you please give me your feed back? And of course I would love to see some better pictures of any that you may have. I have my heart set on a jackknife model with diamondback skins. but would love to see anything out there. You just can't find many pictures of them!

Thank you,

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Great Northern Critter Getter
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 11:29:59 AM »
I don't own any now, but I have owned several one piece and jack knife models.  They're very well made bows.  Quiet and stable.  Not particularly fast. Regardless, one of my favorite mild r/d bows.  I never liked the jack-knife system though.  Doesn't affect performance or feel when shooting. I never liked the limbs flopping around when I unstrung the bow. 

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 08:05:01 PM »
Thanks! that makes since about the unstrung flop. I wasn't expecting it to be a speed demon but did read some old threads about them being forgiving. I want one in the jackknife just for traveling, as I would most likely get it in a heavy weight for elk or moose.

keep it coming guys, and I would love to see some photos.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 08:49:46 PM »
I didn't feel any considerable difference going from an R/D bow to a Hill bow. All my bows are one piece. After a few shots to familiarize myself with the individual bow, all was well. In short, no bigee.
Sam

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 11:02:01 PM »
Not getting alot of responses.I will chime in.

I mostly shot bows of the Critter Gitter style for both 3-D and hunting for many years.Narrow deep cored limbs in mild reflex/deflex.Some have a trapezoid cross section.A great all around design really and they have the classic D shaped longbow look strung.

I think I have had almost all of them at one time or another and many bowyers models several times

I have had 3 or 4 Critter Gitters.Three in 64 inches and I think a 66 incher.I see he does not offer the 66 anymore.One of them had the Jackknife.I had both the broomhandle and Index grip.Both grips are very good IMO.His Broomhandle I like more than most any other Straighter type grip.It does have some shape to it and its also small.The index is great.

The Jacknife is superbly done and bombproof.The bow will fold into a very small package.A simple rubber band could be used to keep the flopping down when unstrung or a 2 piece case.Not that floppy really in my experience.

Their really well built like all G.N bows.They shoot extremely well.Thier very quiet as you would expect.Thier as good as any bow of that design IMO.They do have the Trapezoid limb.In a nutshell its a sweet shooting bow and classy looking without being overstated.

The Bushbow is nice as well and mild R&D.But it has a wide flatbow limb.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 08:41:57 AM »
I have been shooting Critter Getters since about 1990. I really like the jack knife system, the hinge gives a nice "locator". A few years ago I bought a little creep without the hinge and it never felt right with no hinge. Another thing I like about the hinge is that when the bow is taken down I do not have to remove the string, so the string is "tuned" as It was before taking down. I don't think you will be disappointed in the critter getter or the hinge system.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 01:25:51 PM »
Thank you very much guys! Very informative!

I am a 28" draw and was thinking about a 64".. Would you all agree?

I would still love to see some pictures if anyone has any to share.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 02:48:49 PM »
I draw about 28 and the 64-inch CG is what I shot.  Could go longer, but no need to.  Think you would like the 64-inch better than a shorter bow.   

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 04:03:36 PM »
I think 64 would be the best overall choice for you.You would have no complaints about smoothness,shootability,finger pinch and stability.

Most of my Critter gitters and bows like it were 64 inches.I have had 62 inchers and 66 inchers as well.The 64 seemed to be the perfect balance of all the traits I was looking for.

You might be advised to trim some branches in the tree and on the ground when ground hunting to get adequate limb clearance.Also practice shooting while canting the bow when shooting from seated positions or kneeling from the ground.If you ground hunt.

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 07:28:42 PM »
Thanks guys, I had a Robertson Primal Styk for a while that was 64" that fit me well, but was just a little too much in weight. It is actually the bow that is wanting me to get back into the R/D bow world again.  I still have a Tall Tines Tundra D bow that I killed my biggest buck to date with last year with that is 62" but have just felt that 64" would be more suitable with the style of limbs vs the Stickflinger limbs I have two in 62". 

Currently trying to fill a tag with the BW PL I got last year, but just thinking about another "D" bow and wooden arrows.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 09:50:51 PM »
I hunted with a Critter Gitter for several years and it is one of my favorites.  Quiet, comfortable to shoot with no bad habits.  I sold that bow, but I still know where it is and have first rights of refusal on it.  I would probably buy it back.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Jerry Gille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 10:47:46 PM »
I've got a little experience with this bow. Jerry Brum built me one and sent it to me back in April of 2000.  I have hunted exclusively with this bow since then. It is 51#s at 25", 62" long (actually 61.5" long) hickory lams, solid osage riser and a straight grip. I prefer the straight grip over anything else but it likely takes some getting used to. I have been on thousands of hunts with this bow and have refinished it myself twice. It is not a speed demon and won't handle a wide range of wood arrow spines - I have used 45-50# wood shafts cut 27 1/2" BOP for 20 years out of it. I have killed close to 350 squirrels and 119 whitetails with it and many other things Illinois has to offer. I am a one bow guy and a staunch believer that the bowhunter learns to shoot a bow instead of there just being that perfect bow out there from the get-go.  I don't notice any handshock with mine but handshock tends to go away when you shoot the same bow almost everyday of your life for 20 years. This has just been a no frills, dependable hunting companion for me over the years and it has taken all the abuse I could throw at it.

Offline Jerry Gille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 10:51:41 PM »
Strung and ready for another hunt after work tomorrow.  [ Invalid Attachment ]

Offline Jerry Gille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 10:52:31 PM »
Try that again.

Offline Jerry Gille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 10:53:45 PM »
And now I managed to attach the same thing twice! Did I mention the simplicity of the bow pairs well with someone of my limited techno skill??

Offline Jerry Gille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 11:14:58 PM »
Also, mine is built with 4 pairs of .002 tapers. That is a ton of taper but it is narrow about 1  1/8" at the fades to 9/16" at the tips. It is a very deep cored stack at about .500" deep at the fade. The riser is 16" long with one piece of belly glass going up and over the belly side of the handle.

Offline Jerry Gille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 11:18:02 PM »
And top limb is about 1 1/2" longer than bottom limb.

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2020, 06:27:09 AM »
Jerry, It certainly sounds like the CG has been a great bow for you! 20 years with one bow certainly says something about the design!

I appreciate the informative response and pictures!

Offline TxSportsman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2020, 09:32:24 AM »
I have always been intrigued by these bows. I don't have anything constructive to add to the thread but I do want to say that is a very impressive track record with that bow Jerry. I would say it has lived up to it's name. Thank you for sharing.
Sunset Hill - "Four Count"

Offline Jerry Gille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2020, 08:45:38 PM »
You guys are welcome. Jerry Brum and Rick Shephard were fantastic bowyers.  I believe Jerry's son is building GN bows now. I can only imagine what he may have learned from them two gentlemen. BTW, I bought that GN quiver in 1995 and that baby is still going strong today too!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©