3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow weight  (Read 2901 times)

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow weight
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2020, 08:54:59 PM »
A 10 lb drop in bow weight will feel significantly lighter....you will notice it for sure.
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2020, 09:24:26 PM »
Rather than going from 57# to 45#, why not go from 57# to 47#?  You'll hardly notice the extra 2# in pull, but the extra weight will give you the assurance that you're always pulling at least 45#, regardless of small form or equipment measurement errors.  I did this myself, and find it easy to practice enough with the 47# bow to hunt, although it would not be easy to shoot 100 arrows in a 3D tournament.  But then I’ve got a 40# bow for when I want to do that.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bow weight
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2020, 12:18:52 AM »
I know what has worked for me may not work for you, but here goes anyway.
I am 68, and have shot for many years.  I used to shoot 60#, but dropped to 55# awhile ago.  Now I feel like I do much better with 50#. 
I also have a beautiful 43# ebony triple carbon elk-heart .
I took some lessons a couple years ago from Arne Moe a member here who is an excellent archery coach).  At the time I took a 52# JD. Berry and a 42# JD Berry, both 66” long.  We started out with the lighter bow, and later moved to the heavier one.  Almost immediately Arne commented  that my release was noticeably better with the heavier bow.

That is why I shoot my 50# and 49# bows virtually all the time. My release is  better than with that beautiful little 43# elk heart. It’s just too light for me.  That, and for the larger big game animals in my home state I have to shoot at least 50 lbs.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 09:53:44 AM by MnFn »
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2020, 07:08:20 AM »
I notice a difference of 4#.
I would have trouble dropping 10# and then trying to go back up.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Online evgb127

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2020, 08:53:06 AM »
We started out with the lighter bow, and later moved to the heavier one.  Almost immediately Arne commented  that my release was noticeably better with the heavier bow.

This is a great point to consider when moving down in weight.  I find that a lighter bow can be less forgiving of form issues.  That is precisely why I start practicing with one after periods of not shooting.  After my form is back in shape, then I work on building up the muscles to comfortably pull my hunting bow at my preferred hunting weight. Sometimes I even shoot a bow that is above my preferred weight to help with the process too.  Once hunting season starts, however, I become a one bow shooter.

Also, I think you will notice a difference with as little as a 5 pound drop in weight.  Anyway, good luck with your search for a new bow. 
-EVG

Online Tactical Draftsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2020, 09:16:56 AM »
All good info. One thing I will second is bow length and how that can affect your perception of bow weight. With bows of the same weight, but one being a longbow and the other being a recurve (which are generally shorter) the longbow will almost always seem lighter. There are other variables like when a bow begins to stack etc., but the longer limbs generally have a lower perceived weight to me.
Pick a spot...

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2020, 09:20:33 AM »
Over time I have dropped in draw weight several times. I went 78# to 65# to 55# to 53#. There were no problems adjusting to each of these weights. Also, I have been shooting 40# since last spring as a campaign to improve form. especially my release. It has felt a little mushy and took some getting used to. However, after a while, it feels good also. Injuries, as a basis for weight drop, may change the whole picture, and medical attention may be advisable. Overall, though I like my 53# bows and can still shoot them, so I will stay with them. If injury is not in the picture, an average guy should be able to move up 5 or so pounds with no problems. A couple of weeks of solid training will prepare those muscles adequately. Moving down in weight will require some training as well since light bows often feel too soft, which will take some getting used to. For me, it has taken more conscious effort to drop in weight. Odd, don't you think?
Sam

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2020, 10:13:24 AM »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.  I believe from what i have read i wont drop more than the 10lbs down to 45lbs and Im now thinking a drop to 50 lbs might be better.   Im currently shooting a J.D lund whisperstik recurve im thinking of purchasing  a Dwyer dauntless.  Wish there was more traditional shops around that a guy could go play with some different weights.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 03:49:33 PM by bowmaster12 »

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2020, 03:31:39 PM »
I hunted with a 50# Longbow, switched to 45 (same brand) was still a bit much, now I hunt with 40, and I found the difference between 45 and 40 noticeable to me.  Feels very comfortable to me, so I am able to practice with it a lot more, and now may be stronger and be more comfortable with a 45, but I couldn't have gotten there just practicing with the 45.

Offline Yellah nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2020, 04:31:41 PM »
Two rebuilt shoulders. Years of fights with inmates or perps on the street. Used to shoot heavy compounds. Now at 63 I shoot 40 lbs. Why? Because it doesn't hurt and even tho I could do 45, I know I can kill a deer which is the goal. And I can do the hunting thing for more years if I baby the shoulders. If you aint killin big stuff, go lighter....at my age that ego thing isn't what it used to be. Also the advice above to get a takedown is solid advice. You can swap out limbs if you need to. I am shooting a Bear Wolverine 3pc. And it's a decent shooter. I am still looking for a Black Bear Riser or a Bear Kodiak wheely riser to build a back up recurve so I can swap limbs on the cheap. Just sayin'.

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2020, 06:41:17 PM »
The 45lb goal you mentioned might be a good draw weight to try since there are a whole lot of bows out there for sale at that draw weight.  Bet it is the most popular draw weight among folks.   If you don't like the next bow you acquire, if it has a 45lb draw, it might be easy to sell.   

When I reduce my herd of bows soon, planning on keeping several in the forties for hunting and two in the thirties (one for 3-D and one for the family).  Right now, I'm just in training to get old (in my mid-seventies) and younger than many here, but I'm already selecting bows to keep on my rack that I can grow old with. 

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2020, 06:59:16 PM »
You should be in great shape with 45#s.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2020, 10:12:23 AM »
I always get a kick out of bow weight discussions for deer especially. You need like what, 6-8” or 10” of penetration depending on deer size to get both lungs...use a 2 blade head and shoot em broadside. I’ve tracked deer shot with 32# longbows with wood arrows shot by women hunters all of 40 yds. I’d say they work just fine. I’m sure they’re not drawing even the full 28”..

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2020, 09:51:01 AM »
I use a Bob Lee Signature Hunter TD with 43# & 54# limbs. The 43# is used for targets, 3D, and hunting whitetails. The 54# is used for elk hunting. If you use arrows weighing close to same grains per pound of limb weight, ( 43#=450g or 54#=560g) your arrow flight, trajectory will be close to same. Makes the transition easier.
 :archer2:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©