3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Checking Spine w/ Spine-O-Meter...?????  (Read 1441 times)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Checking Spine w/ Spine-O-Meter...?????
« on: April 20, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »
Question...when checking spine with my new favorite toy, the Spine-O-Meter, I noticed something.  If I would turn the shaft so the grain is running horizontal the spine was up to 8 lbs. less than if I put the grain running vertical. Say from 68# to 72#.  Being as the arrow flexes against the grain (grain is horizontal on the bow shelf so nock is perpendicular to the grain) going around the riser I am assuming you take the spine reading with the grain in the vertical position...? Is this clear...as mud?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Checking Spine w/ Spine-O-Meter...?????
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 11:53:00 PM »
Thanks Snag I knew what I was doing till reading this!! LOL!

Grain in vertical orientation is correct.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
LOL, so did I until this came up!  Thanks for the clarification.

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
Snag:
You are correct that the edge grain should be verticle when taking a spine reading, however your reason for doing it that way is wrong. The position of the grain is part of the spine standard and is the way shaft manufactures should spine their shafts. That way the consumers will know what the spine of that shaft is when the nock is placed correctly on the shaft and they are purchasing spined shafting. Back in the early days when a bowhunter purchased shafts by the dozen or 100 the archery shop would have spined all the shafts before sale and grouped them by deflection or bow weight. You did not have to worry about the spine being different if you oriented the nock to the spine standard.

It is true that some shafts will spine differently as the grain orientation is changed on the tester, however those instances are usually not common. In my exprience its extremely rare for the spine to increase when the orientation is changed from verticle to horizontal, it usally goes down in spine.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »
Darn, I thought this was gonna not give me a headache.............Cupcake, it is time for you to add to this soup!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »
I concur! Got to let my limited number of brain cells rest now..... :0)

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »
I'll give Kevin (Cupcake) a call and let him know.
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Cupcake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 11:40:00 PM »
I have not much to add here.  The wood is stiffer when the force is applied parallel with the grain.  Woods are measured with this orientation so that the  batch of shafts are the same, as aromakr said.  When installing the knocks make sure that they are all oriented the same way to the grain.

This is also an opportunity to adjust the spine a bit; if you would prefer a weaker spine to better match your bow I see no reason why you could not orient the knocks for weaker.

DesertDude tests all his carbons for the same deflection and installs the knocks in the required orientation to get the same spine.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »
Interesting Kevin. I have never heard this before. So if I have a few that are 72# and the others are 68# I can just rotate the nock a little and get them to come down to 68#. Brilliant! I would imagine I should rotate and check the spine on the Spine-O-Meter to see how far to rotate...?  I have a batch of arrows in the making. I will do exactly this! Thanks.

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »
snag:
What Kevin said is true to a point, however not all shafts will vary in spine at various spots on the shafts and some will vary a great deal.
Bob

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
Thus the nature of wood.
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
The problem with rotating the shaft is more of a safety concern than anything. Wood arrows should be built so that the rift on top of the arrow points toward the point end of the shaft so that if the shaft breaks, it breaks up and away from the hand. That being said, A arrow that is built for a right hand shooter should not be shot by a left hand shooter as you are turning the shaft over to have the cock feather pointing out and the rift on top of the arrow would now be pointing to the nock end of the arrow and if it broke it would break down and toward the hand.
Rick

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 07:42:00 PM »
Rift, shrift. I make my shafts and there IS no rift. A growth  ring  runs the full length of the arrow without runout.

I would probably never buy a shaft that didn't follow a growth ring like that.

Guys who make  shafts  from  tree  shoots don't have  rift to worry about either--no  grain orientation either.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 07:50:00 PM »
Thanks Snag-before you started this thread I had it all figured out-maybe aluminum would be OK after all-this wood stuff is getting so complicated! LOL!

Offline R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 08:39:00 PM »
Rift is the feathering of the wood on top and on the bottom of the shaft and runs in opposite  directions, It doesn't mean that the edge grain doesn't run the full length of the shaft.

Rick

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
Bjorn:
Nothing complicated about wood, just some try to make it more complicated than it really is. I wonder how those that came before us ever got an arrow to shoot (before spine testers) You know Ford and Duff just flexed the shaft in the hands and had no trouble with that working. Even bows cut less than center DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE EACH SHAFT SPINING EXACTLY THE SAME. I hate to shout but it seems people don't listen. I've been at this game over fifty years, believe me. And with the modern bows cut too center and past you have alot of spines that will work in the same bow, and hit in exactly the same spot!!!!
Bob

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 12:46:00 AM »
Man i dont even use wood and i got a headache
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »
Eggzactly what I said. There is no "feathering" on my shafts because I follow the growth rings in cutting the squares from which I make the arrows. There is seldom a growth ring that runs out in the length of my arrows. Even less often more than one.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »
I didn't mean to start this kind of a conversation...just thought it would be fun to get some input on how to proper spine a shaft..vertical or horizonal grain. This had not come to mind until recently. Now that I can spine or check arrow shafts that have been spined it brought up this question. Yes Aromkr I can shoot many different spined shafts through my Blacktail recurve. I was just trying to see if I had arrows that were close in spine and weight how much difference it would make in my hitting the intended target...or if it really didn't make all that much difference. Part of this is that I have been shooting carbons too. Now I am trying to get the woodies to be as accurate as possible. I enjoy it. It is my way of experimenting on a small scale I guess.

Offline R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
Sorry guys I wasn't trying to cause any trouble. The only reason that I even brought it up was that I had a arrow that broke while being shot and nicked the top of my hand. I did a little research and found a couple articles on rift and it made sense. If anyone has a copy of T.J. Conrads " The Traditional Bowhunter's Handbook " he has a short piece on it on page 147. Sorry snag, I wasn't trying to highjack your post. There are people on here that have been doing this a lot longer than me and I do value there opinion.

Thanks,Rick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©