3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Leather for shelf  (Read 1447 times)

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Leather for shelf
« on: October 25, 2020, 09:41:36 PM »
I’ve been using Velcro for my rest on my shelf.  I wear through it pretty fast.  I have some cordovan scrap and was thinking of gluing some to my riser.  It’s a metal riser with a radiused shelf.  First, anyone see any issues with this?  Also, what glue do you recommend for leather to metal.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Leather for shelf
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 04:00:05 AM »
I glued some cordovan on a riser,but it was wood. I used barge cement with good results.

Offline gnome

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Losing arrows since 1966
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 07:06:08 AM »
I’ve been using Velcro for my rest on my shelf.  I wear through it pretty fast.  I have some cordovan scrap and was thinking of gluing some to my riser.  It’s a metal riser with a radiused shelf.  First, anyone see any issues with this?  Also, what glue do you recommend for leather to metal.

No issues with gluing.... I use Weldwood contact cement with good results.... I also ditched the velcro shelf for felt pads, they work and last much better.... my new favorite leather for side plates is alligator.... its low friction, and impossible to wear out.
The currency of War, is not money, but the lives of our sons and daughters. Spend wisely. ~ gnome

My opinions come from experience, 𝚌̶𝚘̶𝚖̶𝚖̶𝚘̶𝚗̶ ̶𝚜̶𝚎̶𝚗̶𝚜̶𝚎̶, and scar tissue. ~ gnome

IQ is accepting truth when you see it, while not believing everything you see. ~gnome~    (see Luke, 12:1)

Proverbs 21:9,19

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 07:09:40 AM »
Barge.

Clean the metal well. Apply Barge to both surfaces. Not too liberally, but with complete coverage of the two contact surfaces. Allow the glue to dry for a minute or so. Press together. Wrap the leather to the riser afterwards to get good pressure to the application. When set, you can rub the excess glue around the edges away.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 12:54:40 PM »
I like calf hair...but if you're wearing through them that fast you might try raising your nock height just a tad. Shouldn't affect arrow flight if everything else is tuned good but may cut down on arrow friction across the shelf some.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 01:24:42 PM »
I have some old belts that seem to have shrunk for some reason or another.  Good leather, different thicknesses.  If you have any belts that you don't use anymore, they are good sources for leather for odds and ends like strike plates or arrow rests.  I have used Barge with success.  I also use double sided carpet tape, which seems a little quicker and less messy than Barge.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 02:07:26 PM »
Furniture pads cut with razor blade on each end.  Works well for strike plate on bows cut far enough past center.
Like these...
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/home-and-decor/cabinet-and-furniture-hardware/protective-furniture-pads/5303128
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 02:16:38 PM »
I prefer to use seal skin. It became illegal to import a few years back, but I bought a few pieces when I heard it was going to happen. It makes a really nice shelf material and I leave a narrow gap against the side plate and try to index my feathers to reduce contact at that point.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 04:52:29 PM »
If you are wearing out Velcro, check your tuning. I have Velcro on bows for literally thousands of shots. Usually use it on radiused shelves and furniture pads on flat ones.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Bisch

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 05:05:43 PM »
If you are wearing out Velcro, check your tuning. I have Velcro on bows for literally thousands of shots. Usually use it on radiused shelves and furniture pads on flat ones.

This was my thought as well^^^^^^^!

Bisch

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 06:01:57 PM »
That is about all I’ve done for the last 2 weeks and off and on for the last month.  I bought a test kit.  I used some arrows I already had.  I’ve moved my nock point up and down.  I’ve played with the brace height.  I don’t think I can do it any better.  Not that it can’t be better, but I can’t get it any better. 
Jeff

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 06:07:16 PM »

This was my thought as well^^^^^^^!

Bisch

I think it may be a function of the shape of the shelf on the VPA riser.  It has a somewhat sharp peak on the shelf that acts as the radiusing on the shelf.  the Velcro on my Black Widow has lasted much longer and same for the sky archery riser.  I’m shooting about 50-70 shots a day with this bow and 10-15 with my Black Widow.
Jeff

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2020, 11:10:47 AM »
I just purchased a replacement shelf and plate from Bob Lee for my bow. It came with a calf hair plate and a piece of smooth, stiff leather for a rest. I like it. Very little wear. It should last a long time.

My point being, the smooth leather sounds like a good idea to me. :archer:
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©