3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Got the trad itch... questions?  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Tca126

• Trad Bowhunter
Got the trad itch... questions?
« on: October 31, 2020, 08:31:03 PM »
Well I have the itch to dip into the world of tradbow hunting. Hearing my dad’s stories of starting hunting with a recurve has me wanting to give it a shot. A little background, I’m from SW PA and most of the shops around me that I know of deal primarily with compound/Xbows. I’ve been hunting with a compound bow since I was 12, and don’t know a ton about traditional archery. Looking for a starting Point and possible if someone can direct me to a shop that specializes trad archery in thE SW PA area. 

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Got the trad itch... questions?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 09:02:06 PM »
Welcome to our campfire, Tom!!!!!

:archer: :archer: :campfire: :archer: :archer:

Lots of knowledgeable folks here that can help you out!!
First thing I would say is DO NOT "overbow" yourself, with your 1st bow!!!
Figure at LEAST a 10-15# drop in weight, from your compound weight.

Btw, is your Dad still around? You'd probly be suprized how much you could learn by picking his brain!! :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 09:07:24 PM »
BTW, you might want to check out the 40-45# bow harvest thread.... :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 10:10:33 PM »
Welcome tom. You've come to the right place. Lots of knowledge here.  Also if you have questions try utilizing the search function,  you may get what you are looking for.  If not ask questions,  fellas here are glad to help.

Unfortunately bow shops that know much about trad archery are few and far between.  I think what you found is pretty common.  What I do recommend is trying to connect with trad shooters in your area. It'll shorten the curve and save yourself lots of frustration in the process.

Remember it's a journey and it's fun. I recommend getting your hands on some used equipment and then upgrade as you wish.  I will warn you however, it can be addictive lol. 

As chuck mentioned,  don't over bow yourself.  40-45 lbs isn't too light and could certainly help prevent bad habits. A common mistake is to go from a 70 lb compound to a similar weight trad bow and it can ruin people.

Again welcome hope to see you around the virtual campfire more.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ed lash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 10:28:13 PM »
Trad archery is a blast. I got started in the 1980's, and still love it. The errors I've made learning are completely nuts. I was overbowed for years.
This forum is a good place to learn and find resources that can help you. Pro shops for trad archery are pretty unusual...don't know about your area.
Hope you have a great time with it. It's been a joy for me.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 10:30:02 PM »
Hi Tom. Top of this page is a white tab called Traditional Archery for Bowhunters. Click on it. That will give you a great start.   Good luck and have fun!
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Tca126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 05:11:48 AM »
Thanks everyone for the information.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 05:30:55 AM »
Tom when you say sw Pa what are you near? I’m from Sussex co NJ. We might be taking a 5 hour ride but perhaps after season we could meet somewhere part way or if you ever head over this way I could show you a few things.
I’m hesitant to say this cause I don’t know you’re compound form but if done properly as in correct grip, back tension, release, follow through, as of if you decide to gap shoot there’s really no difference except for the let off and of course length. This is simplifying of course but if you do one right it’s an easy switch.
As stated don’t overbow, there will be a drop in weight of a bit especially at first.
A string bow can help train form if you do happen to need adjustments. Your form needs to be good cause things are more critical w a styk. Nothing is more fun or rewarding though and there’s no magic. Just proper form and practice.
For bows everyone will tell you differently. I’d recommend picking one up light to learn the sport. Idk your financial situation but there’s options for inexpensive bows or I’d actually recommend the used custom market. You won’t get hurt here unless bow explodes. You can trade up as need be and you won’t lose anything.
I can’t be clear enough though noes your chance being everything is somewhat new to fix form issues. It’ll make life lots easier and a string bow is the key
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 08:29:04 AM »
Welcome to the site. You can do what you want but I would start with 30# - 35# bow which will make it very easy to learn on and you will be able to shoot more.

You can buy a decent inexpensive 3pc take down bow to start with and then move up to 40# - 45# remember 5# jump is a lot with a stick bow.

If you can try out some in those weights then make up your mind. Just remember just pulling the 40#-45# back is not the same as holding and shooting for a while. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 09:14:58 AM »
The transition to trad may not be as tough as you think. A lot of what you know about form from the wheels will transfer over to the stick. Of course release will be different, and, if you pick a longbow, your grip will be different. Get used to shooting at much closer distances and much slower arrow speed. I think the problem  is more mindset than mechanical, though.

An interesting story came I heard from a well known trad guy discussing speed. When challenged about speed he said his trad bow was faster. His explanation was that by the time the compound shooter pulled his bow, located the peep sight, and centered the sight pin on the deer, he already had an arrow in the deer.
Sam

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 12:04:17 PM »
Not discounting Sam info but I need to disagree. Hope he understands
Be clear release and grip is no different or shouldn’t be w any bow. Nothing changes with the exception of anchoring specifics
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Tca126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 02:21:18 PM »
Thanks all

Online blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 07:53:25 AM »
"Shooting the Stickbow" by Anthony Camera is an excellent book to have on hand, especially when there are no trad shops around.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©