3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Weight Reduction ?'s  (Read 380 times)

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Weight Reduction ?'s
« on: April 21, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »
I ordered a bow from a well known bowyer (I will not mention any names) A few months ago.  Well he called me today to say my bow was ready.  The only problem is I ordered my bow 48# @ 28 and when he called he told me the weight was 52#.  I already have a 53# bow that is a little to heavy for me, and told the bowyer at time of ordering, that it was critical that the bow comes in at under 50# preferably right at 48#.  He said sorry, but told me it was not really an issue.  He told me he would just reduce the weight of the bow and refinish it. Here is where my question is?

Since the bow was built with the correct thickness of lams for a 52# bow, will the performance/tiller of the bow be less then if he had originally built it to be a 48# bow?  Or would he have glued it up the same either way and reduced the width?

Please help.....as I feel as if I am going to be spending $670 for a bow that is not quite up to par?   :(

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Weight Reduction ?'s
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »
4# is not a big difference.I heard of other guys tha thave bought custom made bows that later have sent them back for a weight reduction instead of ordering a new bow.I don't think that would be a problem.Jeff Massie used to offer weight reduction and refinishing for bows,now who he sold his business to offers the same services.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »
That is a good bowyer at work, bowyers today will only guarantee anything within 2# of target-so 50 means anything from 48-52#.
The weights being that close he would have glued up the same lams and tillered for your specs anyway; this way you are getting the exact weight you asked for.

Offline GameGetter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
Both good answers!
Be well, shoot well,
Dan Heitstuman

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
That is a good bowyer at work, bowyers today will only guarantee anything within 2# of target-so 50 means anything from 48-52#.
The weights being that close he would have glued up the same lams and tillered for your specs anyway; this way you are getting the exact weight you asked for.
Unless he ordered the bow at 48lbs, in which case the bowyer missed the weight by more than +-2lbs.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »
Tenbrook
Rest easy. 4 pounds is no big deal.  The difference in laminations would have only been a couple thousanths of an inch if any.  

I build a few bows as a hobiest and a few weeks ago I was working on a prototype of a new design. It came out way heavy.  I was able to nock off almost 20lbs.  I narrowed it a bit and then started sanding the back and belly glass.  I know that this is not the recomended practice but it was a prototype that was way over weight and I had nothing to loose.  I did it all by hand and tried hard to sand as evenly on all sides as I could.  It turned out far better than you would have ever guessed.  Even  the tillering remained constant.

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
Good, it sounds as if I shouldn't worry!  I just didn't want to get a substandard bow.

Thanks!

Tenbrook

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »
tenbrook
no worries, reducing the weight will not hurt performance or reliability what so ever

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »
Its not big deal and I think you have to give bowyer some lee-way...reduction ...ur happy camper, I would be...I had to send limbs back to Hoyt once...they reduced , bow was find ...not big deal, as longb as the bowyer makes it right...and thats fair!  :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »
I recently had a two piece longbow reduced by 5 full pounds. The bow actually performs as well or better then it did before reduction. If the bowyer knows what he is doing you should not have a problem.  :thumbsup:

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »
I think the fact you use "a well known bowyer" in your opening tells the whole part.  I doubt very seriously that someone who has done that much to build a name/reputation for himself would risk it on a single bow.  These (successful & respected) guys want every customer to be a happy one.  Remember, you are their advertising.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »
I had 4lbs taken off my habu takedown a while back after several neck and shoulder surgeries. It still shoots rockets as good as ever (actually even better now that the weight is more comfortable for me).
BD

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
Heck some bowyers charge you extra to be less than a plus or minus 2#s, so this one is doing right by you.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
Not to beat a dead horse:

If I order a bow at 48lbs and most bowyers gurantee plus or minus two pounds.

The bow should fall between: 46-50lbs???

So, at 52lbs, shouldn't it be a re-do???

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 02:23:00 PM »
in my experience it will be even better. I had my Vortex reduced 3#s and it just made for an even better bow. a friend had a Widow reduced and the result was the same, a sweeter bow. I'm actually getting ready to send a recurve back for a reduction. you'll be very pleased I'm sure.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »
You will probably get a better bow out of it.Depending on how you drops the weight he will most likely get rid of some fat on the bow and make it shoot better.Certainly a waste of time to be concerned about it.When I buy used bows I often buy them heavier than I want so I can trim them down some.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline chuck172

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 03:56:00 PM »
Martin Archery will shave the limbs on their Hatfield. They will be able to take off only 2-3 pds. off their 55# limbs, that's maximum to keep structurally sound. They will be able to take off 5pds. off their 60# limbs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©