3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Just wondering what y'all do in this instance  (Read 1435 times)

Offline PASQUINELL

• Trad Bowhunter
Just wondering what y'all do in this instance
« on: November 02, 2020, 12:43:42 PM »
This has probably been discussed many times but I thought I would bring it up for new ideas. Im sitting in a very active wooded area with rubs, scrapes etc on the edge of a field they love to go to at dark.

They come off the hill a little before dark thirty and lollygag around eating acorns or whatever before heading unto the field. Its still light out and they are in no hurry walking right near my stand on occasion.  Problem is, Im stuck in my stand way past dark trying not to bust this location Im in when I start climbing down. Now when the rut is on, they could care less! I have had does run past me with bucks on their tail looking at me as to say shoot this sucker would ya!

I have had to move my stand a few times because of it. Ive had a coyote call and used that but to be honest I just go as silently as possible and pray I don't hear that blow! If I do get blown at, I leave that stand alone for a few days.
"I can skin a GRIZZ as fast as you can catch um"...HA! stay right there pilgrim I'll be back!
JOHN 3:16

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just wondering what y'all do in this instance
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 01:00:06 PM »
Can you set up in oaks? If the right deer doesn't show up, you can sneak out while the deer are in the field
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 01:27:57 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't sweat it...

If the rut is on, and the Bucks are on the move, Chances of scaring them for more than an hour or so is nill.
The Bucks run the hell out of the Does, and if they're not in heat, their only worry is getting that Buck off their tail.
If they are in heat, The Bucks will be nose to the ground, trying to catch up with them....

If the stand is in a good spot, I'd hunt the hell out of it!!! :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 03:26:12 PM »
Actually, when a deer blows it's not screaming "human", it's just yelling "danger".   That being the case I've made the blow noise myself just to get them running, then climbed down.  That way they don't see you coming out of the tree.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 03:35:39 PM »
Actually, when a deer blows it's not screaming "human", it's just yelling "danger".   That being the case I've made the blow noise myself just to get them running, then climbed down.  That way they don't see you coming out of the tree.
This.  I've also snort wheezed to run them off.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline IndaTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 06:59:54 PM »
I wouldn’t worry about it and once dark I’m not too sure I would care about “sneaking” out but would simply climb down and walk out.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 07:17:36 PM »
Lots of the advice is dependent on local deer and the pressure or type pressure they feel. I personally wait em out or have someone come just walking through n get me. They see farmers, hikers, bikers all day long. By me this doesn’t freak em out. By you it might. No correct answer here imo
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 08:55:09 PM »
Bark like a dog
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 06:21:46 PM »
Very interesting. I consider myself relatively thoughtful. I’ve never tried or thought of this but it’s so simple I can’t believe I never tried. A buddy of mine was out tonight and the same thing happened. He called me just after dark and said the deer came in and stayed by him til black. Hmmm how are you calling me now than? He’s got lots of spots and is careful w em.
He said at dark he quietly ties his bow on his haul line and lowers it. After it touches down he just easily rustles it around. They normally, he said, look at it than ease away never spooking. I’d think this would focus them on an area from a short distance but he says they just walk away. Guess it’s a consideration
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again

Offline Sapper1980

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 06:24:18 PM »
Why aren't you setting up closer to the bedding?
Mike Lombard

Offline PASQUINELL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2020, 07:26:58 PM »
Lots of good ideas. Like said, once the does start coming in heat it really doesn't matter. Its the early October hunts that they seem to just hang around in the dark for whatever reason. I just don't like "startling" them or bringing attention to my stand area.

Good luck to all.
"I can skin a GRIZZ as fast as you can catch um"...HA! stay right there pilgrim I'll be back!
JOHN 3:16

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2020, 10:16:49 PM »
Idk why anyone thinks scaring deer doesn’t matter no when it is. Maybe they’re preoccupied now but what about tomo or next week? Keep letting them catch you in a area it won’t or can’t help. I always say you might not screw up only tonight w something you do, it could screw up your season. Perhaps it didn’t matter some occasions? Would being careful hurt you? No. I just don’t get the thoughts things don’t matter.
Details matter.  Hunt clean
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2020, 11:06:45 PM »
Well..... In the first place, deer are deer. They are smart!! They spend their entire lives, trying to stay alive!!!

However... Like they used to say about Wild Turkeys, If they see you move, they're gone!!! True!!! But... If a turkey spent his entire life "spooking" every time something moved, It'd starve to death!!!

Deer are much the same. They have a food source, water source, bedding areas, trails etc.... If they get spooked, it's only for awhile, and if whatever spooked them doesn't kill them, they soon go back about their business of staying alive. They have 3 defense mechanisms. Their eyes, ears, and nose.

We hunt mountain deer. The wind changes direction about every 10 minutes. You would go crazy trying to "hunt the wind" up on the mountain. I have had deer that CERTAINLY winded me, walk up within yards of me, and then walk past me and browes off into the laurel, because I set completely still and avoided eye contact.

If a deer is in a field to eat and get spooked out, it is NOT going to go hungry because something spooked it!!!
As soon as it's senses tell it that it's "all clear" it will return. It's hungry!!!

A deer trying to stay alive, lives in the moment. They do not have the "reasoning power" that humans do to think about the future.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©