3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Election Day Iowa buck,,  (Read 3283 times)

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
Election Day Iowa buck,,
« on: November 04, 2020, 07:43:25 AM »
 I haven't been on here to much lately because I been extremely busy with what life throws at people. I have been working 10-12 hour days at work, trying to maintain a 796 acre farm, (getting corn and soybeans out with losing a combine to a fire), along with my wife getting back surgery next week, its been truly difficult finding the time in a stand.
  Yesterday I woke up exceptionally early knowing I took the day off to vote. I did my morning ritual of making my coffee and thinking of what I need to do for the day. My wife came down and said ,hey, why don't you go get some stand time. I just shook my head and said that I didn't have the time as I walked out onto our back deck. But after I felt the brisk air and checked the wind direction coming out of the south, I downed my coffee, showered, dressed, grabbed my bow, my pack and loaded up my side by side Ranger and off I went to my upper pasture.
  I parked down low near a creek crossing dreading the 400 yard walk to my anticipated stand. Wind in my face as I walk up the long sloped hill. I walk up to my property line, fence line, I get out my James Valley Full Rut and smear some on my boots and start walking down my fence line hooking into my stand location like a "J" pattern to where the wind is at my back as I make my final approach to my stand. I place a little James Valley around my stand, Full Rut in three locations and Wall Hanger in one place. I hook on my bow and climb to my stand. I sit there for a moment to enjoy the early morning air giving thanks for letting me enjoy another morning on stand.
  I get situated and get ready for the morning light to awaken my part of the world. After about 30 minutes of shooting light, I hear it! A very distinctive grunting sound coming from the west. I grabbed my binoculars and started to scan the western side of my pasture. There, two bucks bumping does into the opposite direction. I sat there for a second, looked again and seen the one nice buck head into my neighbors property. Okay, where's your friend, I was saying to myself. So I grabbed my grunt call and rattling antlers to see what I can stir up. I hit a few long gated grunt calls followed by a snort wheeze I hit the antlers hard. I kept them going for about 30 seconds and I was placing the antlers up when I could see a buck literally running towards me from the west. I grab my bow without hesitation when all of a sudden without warning he STOPS on a dime at 40 yards! He just sits there like a statue for what felt like forever. I feel the wind swirl a little bit on the back of my neck. I remember thinking he's getting ready to wind that James Valley Wall Hanger as I slip my hand into my vest pocket and grab my grunt call. He starts licking and winding the air nonstop as I hit a few soft grunts. He's ears goes straight back, canters his head and starts walking with a purpose as I realize its going to happen. He walks over to a small oak tree where the wall hanger is and starts making a scrape but there's no shot. In the darkness I placed the Wall Hanger in not a great spot. He throws his antlers into the small oak several times then starts walking south easterly stiff legged with his ears pinned to his head. he comes completely broadside at 26 yards. I remember saying to myself its now or never, here we go as i feel my bow string tighten against my finger tips, come to my anchor point, pick a spot and as always, the entire world goes into slow motion as I release my arrow.

My view,

Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Election Day Iowa buck,,
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 08:00:33 AM »
There's no feeling like a crisp morning in a midwest deer stand.  Leaves rattling in the breeze and rutting deer around you.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 08:35:07 AM »
 I watch my Zwickey Delta 2 blade tipped arrow loft through the air in slow motion on its way to its destination. I watch my white nock disappear center mass in the rib cage about 4-5 inches back from the crease in his shoulder. I said, he cant go to far with that shot,,he just caught Zwickey Fever! But here is where it becomes awkward, he never moves! He just sits there as if nothing ever happened. Then he starts to cough and hack extremely loud, then he takes  he few steps,,,I start to second guess my shot, then he starts to stumble backwards when all of a sudden he jerks his head up as if nothing was wrong. I can see blood running down his opposite side leg. He turns and starts walking back to the timber edge coughing and hacking the entire time. He walks out of sight before I can nock another arrow. I hear him coughing and hacking about 30 yards away out of sight. The coughing and hacking stops in about 3-4 minutes followed by a deep gurgling sound. Is he dead?? But I didnt hear no thrashing?? Or crash?? I sit motionless and replay the shot in my head as we all do. I started thinking,,,did I only hit one lung?? Was the shot farther back than I thought? I sat there quiet for a hour and a half replaying that shot. I lower my bow and climb down from my stand as quiet as possible and I circle 50 yard up and around from my stand so I can glass the pasture and timber edge. There! I can plainly see him laying there as if he was bedded with his head down. Is he down for good?? I nock a arrow and approach ever so slowly from the down wind side only stopping to glass him to look for movement or breathing. Nothing! But I still approach with caution. I nudge him then I give thanks to the Lord. I call my wife to drive up to pick me up in the side by side. He weighed in 198lbs field dressed.
 56#@28" Martin Dream Catcher
  28-1/8" inch. 500 Goldtip Traditional arrow, 50 grain brass insert, 100 grain steel broadhead adapter, Zwickey 2 blade Zwickey Delta. 

Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 09:12:22 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS, John!!!!!  :clapper: :archer: :clapper:

He's a dandy!!! :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline beemann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 09:15:20 AM »
Nice work  congrats. 

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 09:19:49 AM »
Very nice :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 09:26:36 AM »
Congratulations!

I guess your dream catcher,got you a dream buck.

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 09:34:02 AM »
:thumbsup:

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 09:54:49 AM »
Great hunt congrats!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 10:05:46 AM »
Very nice buck and good story as well!
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 10:32:37 AM »
Well done and well told.  Congratulations!
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 10:44:29 AM »
Sometimes it pays to listen to our wives  :dunno:...congrats on a fine buck...loved the story too  :clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2020, 10:47:49 AM »
Well done Sir

Offline northern lights

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2020, 10:54:38 AM »
Nice and good story.
Now we're digging where the taters are.

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2020, 11:21:50 AM »
That's great all the way around. Congrats!

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2020, 11:37:27 AM »
Throughly enjoyed the story. It doesn't get any better than that  :thumbsup:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2020, 11:38:22 AM »
Great buck.  Congrats.  Sorry about your life struggles
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2020, 11:46:33 AM »
Wow, what a buck!!!

And I dig that Dream Catcher!
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2020, 11:50:54 AM »
Very nice Iowa buck!
Great shooting and thank you Iowa for voting RED!  :clapper:
Javaman Elkheart, 58", 51 @ 30
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 53 @ 29
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 61 @ 29

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2020, 12:19:56 PM »
What a beautiful setup and a great buck. I miss the Midwest this time of year, so thanks for sharing your story. Congrats!
FoCoBlackWidow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©