3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who else has had this situation?  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Who else has had this situation?
« on: November 04, 2020, 07:08:38 PM »
Had a beauty of a buck and doe work their way in. Cool morning could see their breathe.  Watched them for an hour. At 50 yards they bed down and the buck is staring in my direction. Couldn't call to em. After 3 hours in t the bed. I had to pee. Held it for as long as I could but eventually gave in. Got light headed while releasing.  Of course I sent the deer to the next country. 

Who's been in that situation before and what did you do? Buck was a goodun
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who else has had this situation?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 07:42:41 PM »
Not me ...... :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 07:57:52 PM »
Tyler.... Standing in a woodroad on the mountain, pecker in his hand, Bow leaning against a tree on the other side of the woodroad BEHIND him!!! A basket 6pt comes running down the road and around the bend.... Sees Tyler in the middle of the road, taking a leak, and hits the brakes HARD!!! :o

I don't know which one was more suprized??? But it sure was funny to watch!!!!! :biglaugh:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 08:47:35 PM »
Let it trickle down the tree on the opposite side of your ladder  :biglaugh:

I leak out of the tree regularly. Never had a deer react negatively, pi$$ is pi$$, I dont think human is different than animal pee. I've had them open scrapes where I've leaked, and I water scrapes walking in and out when I need to.  Last week I had a doe standing under me sniffing the dead log I watered down a couple hours before while a decent 3 1/2 yr old was following her. If he was a year bigger my MO tag would be filled.

R

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 08:53:54 PM »
Thanks ron and chuck.  Made me chuckle.

Ryan the issue isn't the smell or sound of the urine, it was physically standing to let go. Do guys shimmy and piss sitting down? I dont care if it gets on the platform but standing up creates lot of movement
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 05:32:13 AM »
Charlie, you could try wearing some adult diapers while in your stand! :biglaugh:
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 06:13:35 AM »
If the buck was big enough I wouldn't even unzip, just let er rip!

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 07:19:59 AM »
Pee on tree and let it run down.  Less noise.  Stand when he turned his head or closed his eyes. 
Then later they went another direction anyway so it didn't matter.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 08:01:41 AM »
Thanks fellas.  He was nice certainly biggervthan any I've shot. Probably 3 year old 130 inch. I know there's much bigger around but I dont get here more than 5 or 6 days a year to hunt. It was definitely not a situation I'd been in before.  Buck must have been waiting for the doe to be ready. 

She dropped into a ravine in the most unlikely spot (steeep) then followed it eating acorns for 20 or 30 yards. She popped back out on the other hillside.  I knew it was unlikely she would follow the ravine all the way to my stand due to some boulders. Most of the trails and deer seen past years followed several trails to a header where I was positioned near. They bedded on the other side of the ravine (open hardwoods) and were looking my way. Even when the buck was grooming himself she was watching in my direction.  I'm thinking I should have tried to pee through my stand sitting down.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 08:47:58 AM »
If your bladder didn't rupture, you didn't hold it long enough. :biglaugh:
If it's a common issue, maybe a Gatorade bottle in your pack for those types of (deer close) emergencies.
I remember once during ML season, I had to #2 so bad and I was doing a good job holding it, until a deer showed up. I was shaking so bad keeping my sphincter closed, getting a shot was never going to happen.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 10:31:47 AM »
Been THERE, Brian... :help:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 11:05:30 AM »
I often pee in scrapes when I find them. Many times, when I come back out of the woods, I find that a buck has come in and really torn up the ground. I've never seen one in the act, but I imagine it would be fun to watch.
Sam

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2020, 09:46:12 PM »
Charlie. I alternate sitting and standing when I'm on stand, gotta way your options. If they are out at 50 yds I would think you could go out other side of stand. Alittle movement though,  good luck

Offline David Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Howard Hill Tembo
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2020, 10:11:45 PM »
I think it was the old Deer  and Deer hunting magazine that did a study on urine human urine placed in an active scrape. Pretty much no difference in how often the deer returned to use the scrapes with human pee vs deer. As mentioned I just pee down the side of the tree or scrape the leaves bare and pee in that makes less noise. Yesterday evening I had two does and 3 hogs come from behind and down wind of me. I’ve been sleeping in a tent for 9 days and that’s how long ago I showered, washed my clothes in tide and peed from the tree couple times that day? Deer walked all over the area I walked in on 6 hours earlier never showed any alarm. I don’t know how the wind blew over them as I was barley 15 feet up and the wind was headed right to them. Pee is the least of my concerns mine or the deers.

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 07:58:06 AM »
Not me personally but I know a guy who was in a similar situation and he just let er go while sitting there. He said it seemed luke the most logical thing to do at the time. It was a no brainer. He ended up walking out that night without a buck and with soggy long-johns.

Offline Will Telluteyrd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2020, 08:08:15 AM »
I was hunting a nice 10 point and walked into the area where I thought he would be. I stopped to pi$$ and leaned my Bear Recurve against a tree. The bow fell and my wood arrows banged together. The 10 point charged in when I just started to pi$$. I grabbed for the bow pi$$ing all over myself. The buck stopped, gave me a look and walked away.

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2020, 01:11:33 PM »
Had a buck bed down with a doe one time. They were beded where I had to walk passed them to leave I had tried grunting on and off all night. I didn’t know what to do and didn’t wanna spook them. I sat there wondering what to do as dark approached. I remembered that every now and then I’d hear dogs barking in the area so I barked at them the best I could hoping they’d get up and leave. To my surprise the buck got up and walked right to me. I killed it when he passed less than 15 yards.  :goldtooth:
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2020, 01:51:23 PM »
I try to remember to bring a Gatorade bottle bottle with me or pick my location near water. Unfortunately I rarely remember the bottle.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2020, 02:32:42 PM »
Charlie, I used to always bring a bottle with me. Then stopped and just decided oh well it is what it is. I have deflated more than my share of dandy bucks over the years so maybe I just do not give it all the thought I should any longer.
Hell I spend a lot of time sleeping in deer stands if the sun is out and its above 20 degrees.
Would have done exactly what you did.

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2020, 02:52:15 PM »
Wow 3 hours plus wind must have been very good for you. Like some of the other bowhunters mentioned I pee outta the tree if needed. On ground hunts - which I have been doing more of these - I carry an empty 1 qt Gatorade bottle and use that. I can take care of this with extremely little movement. Working so far.
<><
<————————-<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©