3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thorogood FD Infinity--a cure for cold feet  (Read 1443 times)

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
Thorogood FD Infinity--a cure for cold feet
« on: November 05, 2020, 06:52:39 PM »
Seems like the older I get, the more problems I have with cold feet.  Even in modest weather like 25-30 degrees.  I've tried toe warmers, battery operated heated insoles, liner socks, every type of outer sock, and many cold weather boots.  Yes, I've heard the old saying if your feet are cold, cover your head.  Believe me, I'm insulated to the gills but still have chilly feet due to some circulation issues.

About a month ago I ordered a pair of the 1600 gram Thorogood FD Infinity Series rubber boots.  I'm impressed with the quality of the boots and how warm they keep my feet.  I recently had a chance to hunt in 20 degree weather.  I was comfortable for more than 4 hours in my ground blind.  If anything, my toes actually felt a bit hot.

Amazing how still one can sit when all parts of ones body are comfortable.  If you've struggled with cold feet, you might give the FD Infinity Series a try.  They come in several different insulation weights and all have a lining of 'Solarcore'--an aerogel insulating material developed by NASA, I think.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thorogood FD Infinity--a cure for cold feet
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 09:12:17 AM »
I was checking them out online and I'd love to try them on,   I'm a 10.5 and with the original mucks I fit in 10/11 and lacross burlys  I fit the 10's so I'm wondering if they run big or small..  also if you have a pair already do they say if they are made in USA because the work boots are.
"Us vs Them"

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 12:14:39 PM »
Ted,
I'd order at least a size up from your regular boot.  I think close fitting boots are one of the causes of cold feet.  Having a little bit of extra room allows easy experimenting with different insoles,socks, etc.  I actually went two sizes up from my street shoes so I'd have room to use some thick shearling insoles.  No stores near me sold the Thorogood FD series.  I took the thick insoles and tried them in LaCrosse and Muck boots.  In each case I had to go up two sizes to make things work.  If you stick with factory insoles, go up one size.

I think you will find them to be easy walking boots compared to LaCrosse and Muck.  Don't know what they have done to the foot bed, but it actually feels a bit springy when I walk.

I have not figured out the whole production scheme for Thorogood.  They don't appear to make their own footwear.  All their leather boots are made for them by the Weinbrenner Shoe Company at two locations in Wisconsin.  Thorogood website has several comments about 70% of their products are made in the US.  I could find no point of origin info on their website about the rubber boots.  Not saying it's not there, just could not find it.  I guessed they were made in China.  When they arrived there was a 'Made in China' label inside the boot.  I'm not sure if there is a rubber boot manufacturer left in the US.  All I can say is the FD series is well made and is a superior performing boot.  Now I'll get to see how long they last.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 03:59:02 PM »
There's a factory near where I work but cant imagine all production is there due to size. Weinbrenner has a couple locations in the area sometimes advertising jobs on the radio
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 07:36:04 PM »
thanks for the info I'm going to look into them because its time for a new rubber boot and I'm a fan of their wedge sole work boots so hoping these will be just as good.    thx T
"Us vs Them"

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 07:08:31 AM »
It’d be good if they made these in 4e-6-e. I understand it market isn’t as big, but are a lot of us that would buy them.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 07:12:21 AM »
I use good insulated muck boots with wool socks, a toe warmer, and a sole warmer and my feet stay warm as heck. Sometimes almost too warm.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 07:21:27 AM »
As I get older, my tolerance for cold feet diminishes.  If someone came out with a boot that would fit and keep me warm, I don't know what I would pay for them, but would almost say price wouldn't be an object.

I have never been able to wear two pair of socks ... just ain't enough room in a pair of boots. Adding heated insoles just make them tighter as well. I am currently using an old pair of airforce mukluks. They do a great job and have plenty of room, but are like walking in oversize sandals... no support but worse yet, not even remotely water resistant.
No one makes boots for an average size guy anymore.. 14 5E   :dunno:

BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline matt schuster

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 11:54:30 AM »
It hasn't been cold enough down south for me try the insulated boots yet.  I find that they run a little big and I put a much bigger insole in mine to help a bit.

And Charlie, these are made overseas -  there is no rubber boot manufacturing that I know of in the U.S.    And you are right, they are selling their USA work boots as fast as they can make them and are always looking for workers to try to make more.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 06:51:12 PM »
BOOT BLANKETS! I've fought cold feet my entire life. No boot ever kept me warm no matter how bulky it was. Now days I pack Boot Blankets clipped to my back pack. Be warned tree stand platforms become a lot smaller with boot blankets on your feet. I sometimes take them off the last 45 minutes of daylight and sometimes I wonder IF I'm going to make that last few minutes. IF it's crazy cold I'll throw in a chemical heater. I love walking in and climbing into tree stand with a normal boots then sliding my boot blankets on.  Don't get confused with boot shields. They use metallic shield to reflect the heat back to you. I don't think it works and they are noisy as all get out.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 07:16:48 PM »
Have tried lots of different things over the years, my brother swears by the Thorogood FD Infinity Series.
Boot blankets for me in a stand they work well. I will hunt in very cold weather here in MN late in the year.

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 08:39:41 PM »
Boot blankets didn't work for me putting cold boots in a cold blanket didn't get anything warm .
  A tip, put your toe warmers on top of your toes not under them and your feet will be way warmer .
  Maybe I should have carried my boot blankets under my coat .

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©