3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Spinal Fusion & archery...questions  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
Spinal Fusion & archery...questions
« on: November 07, 2020, 10:13:15 AM »
I'm just curious if anyone here has had a spinal fusion in their neck (or knows someone who has) and how it affected your/their archery ability?

I'm looking at possibly having my C5-C7 discs removed and then fused together. I'm leery, to say the least, but hoping to hear from anyone who might have some knowledge on the subject. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spinal Fusion & archery...questions
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 10:29:02 AM »
I haven’t had it done yet, but have been told that it is in my future.  However, they want to do the disc replacement vs. fusion.  When they fuse, the cartilage on either side of the fusion must take over.  If you replace the discs, it is supposedly easier on you.  A friend of mine just had the replacement and he loves it.  He had some numbness and tingling in his arms that has disappeared.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 10:32:51 AM »
According to the surgeon, they will be taking out the discs & replacing them with "spacers." Then they fuse them together... I'm not exactly thrilled about the idea of the fusion either, but sick of all the problems I've been having. I'll definitely be looking further into the replacement. Thank you!

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 01:49:17 PM »
Michael,
Always best to show your surgeon what you do in your hobbies and ask his/her opinion of how the surgery might impact what you do.  Just saying you shoot a bow likely means a lot more to you than it does to your surgeon unless he/she is a fellow archer.

That said, most of the flexion (nodding yes motion) and left to right rotation (to show 'no') comes from the C1 and C2 vertebrae.  They are totally unique and have the names of atlas and axis.  C3-C7 are much more like the rest of the spinal vertebrae.

Having had five fusions my mid and lower back tells me you might have to ask to get all your concerns answered.  Be clear on what is involved in the recovery process.  Will you need to wear a brace.  If so, how long.  Will there be physical therapy.  If so, what kind, how long.  What activities will you be able to do and the likely timing.

Good luck.  And please do exactly what the surgeon says to do in recovery. 

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 04:29:51 PM »
Thanx for that reply because I'm looking at that between C5&C6.  Probably sooner than later.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 04:42:54 PM »
Tony:
I have had cervical vertebrae fusion from C4 through T1. That is four disc removals over the course of three surgeries. It does have an effect on a number of things like how far you can turn your head or how easy it is to look up at the sky.

For archery, I found that I could not turn my head quite as far as before the surgery, and that shortened my draw length a little. The biggest problem I had was getting my strength back after the surgery.

The danger of having a nerve root compressed over a protracted period of time makes the surgery a good idea if your doctor has recommended it. You don't want permanent nerve damage or damage to your spinal cord.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 06:31:55 PM »
In May 2017 I had neck fusion surgery (ACDF) C-3-C-4 due to numbness & weakness in both hands and arms and balance issues. Within 3 weeks I was able to go out fishing and started shooting my bow in 6-7 weeks. I did have some finger numbness for less than a year , but everything is normal now. I was able to hunt that fall.

In October 2019 I had spinal fusion L4-3-2-1-S1, 10 screws, 2 rods.  One year later, I am climbing tree stands, shooting 45# recurve and hunting.

Be sure to follow your doctors orders and push yourself thru any PT required.

Good Luck.          :archer2:

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 08:50:16 AM »
I had to quit shooting and building bows because of neck issues, my surgeon sent me to therapy a couple of years ago which got me back in the game until recently. I never quit doing the therapy exercises but lately they hurt me more than help me.

I have a laundry list of stuff to get fixed, I have already had L-5 S-1 fused, got a new hip 12 days ago (I could no longer squat down) and turned the corner yesterday on recovery for the good.

Next is TURP (prostate roto rooter), gotta do it followed by getting my neck fixed, after 60 years of bow shooting I can't give up my bow.

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 05:50:14 AM »
I really appreciate all of the replies. I'm a firm believer in PT and all of the wonderful things it does for a person's recovery. If it wasn't for PT, I wouldn't be able to use my right arm at all. I'm glad to know that this should still be something that I can work through, regardless of which surgery I end up having. To all of you, I pray for continued success & health through all of your issues.

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2020, 08:20:42 PM »
I have C6 and C7 fused, all I can say is its a daily struggle. Shooting you will probably have good and bad days
 With mine I had some nerve damage, really made me cut down the poundage that I shoot

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 08:37:20 PM »
I have steel rods, pins, screws and plates in my lower back. Bad MC accident.
They wanted to fuse my neck C7-C5 I tried COLD LASER THERAPY.
Things are 1000% better no new surgical scars.

I am back to shooting 50# pounds if I need to, not much by some standards but at 67 I will take it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©