3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Northerner's Exposure....  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Northerner's Exposure....
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
As always, it was a great time down at The Paradise, albeit far too short.  Sharing camp with pals like Terry and Curt is as good as it's gonna get, anyday, anywhere.  Not the least to mention Master BBQ Chef Terry Green and his *amazing* buff burgers and steaks - yum, yum.  Oooo, and his seasoned buff jerky, dee-lish!  We all ate like kings, at least I did.

Now, about those dang piggies ...
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »
It looks like everybody had a good time
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
AND    

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Rob,

Based on my bow backing...its a dead ringer for a banded water snake...but who knows.  King snakes come in a variety of patterns.  He sure was pretty.
D'OH   :smileystooges:  Certainly looks to be a match.
It looks like a great time's been had   :thumbsup:
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Iron Bull:
AND    
Calm down Dad! Be patient   :goldtooth:
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Iron Bull:
AND    
The daily hunts had their ups 'n' downs.  Sometimes it was downright dingy dang dong frustrating.  Conditions weren't as they should, or at least what was expected to be ...

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2008, 06:21:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »
Sorry Terry,

All knowing Google says the snake is an Eastern Kingsnake( but otherwise known as banded water snake in Ga   ;)  )
DonD

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »
The hogs weren't where they shudda been.  We did a lotta walking.  We saw TONS of very fresh sign, but little or no hogs.  We was scratchin' our heads - "Where the heck ARE they???".     :banghead:

They was where we weren't, that's fer sure.    :mad:

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
Like down here, the hogs are where you find them and when you find them they'll be there
DonD

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
No attacks by raging armadillas? Looks like some awesome woods! I was down there last year, and as a "yankee", I couldnt find anyone to go snake hunting...heck my nephew was scared of a roadkilled coachwhip.
Looks like a great time. I will be checking back...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
Yeah Don....I hear ya.  Bob put some water snake skins on that bow for me....and it sure is a match, even if it is a king snake.

We didn't even pay attention to the moon phase when planning this hunt, and we had to go this weekend or bust......and it was full.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
Just bustin ya a little on the snake Terry.

Ain't it something how hogs can leave so much fresh sign and then just disappear?
DonD

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »
Late Friday afternoon I had walked my dogs tired through trail and bush with nary a smell, sound or sight of hogs - though the tracks were almost everywhere.  I was tired after hours of walkin' 'n' stalkin'.  I made it back to the main road, pulled off the gear pouch, settled down with my head on a big ol' downed tree trunk, got the Thermacell near me, looked up and down the road, pulled down my cap's visor and closed my eyes for 40 winks.  

Dunno what amount of time had expired, but when I opened my eyes there, up the East end of the road, were four jet black hogs milling about.  The adrenaline rush had all my senses firing as within seconds I simultaneously grabbed the longbow, crawled to the other side of the road and pulled out a Snuffer tipped Beman.

Within minutes I'd stalked within 50 yards or so only to watch in disappointment as the pigs melted off the road and back into the bush.  They never sensed I was there.

Dang.

I knew of a few spots they might've been heading towards and took off in that direction, hoping to meet up and deliver a proper "Howdy" to one of 'em with a broadhead.

No luck.

I eased over to the road, headed back down to where I had my siesta, and see if the hogs had looped back.  Within 75 yards there were three black hogs on the road, and outta the bush pops a third mottled grey/brown pig.  This time I got made by that fourth pig and they scurried to the South and safety of the swamp.

Welp, no question that this part of the road was worthy of a return tomorrow morning - best find a good ambush spot, cut down some brush and make a blind.

And so I did ...

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2008, 06:01:00 AM »
Next morning, around 6am on Saturday, I walked from camp down the road to my quick-built blind - some brush stacked up in front of a large and small pine, angling toward the road.  I settled down on a foam mat, Thermacell firing in the damp dewy air - felt like rain.  I waited.

Around 8:15am or so, Terry and Curt slowly drove up the road - nothing seen or heard by them, either.  Terry backed out down the road, headed towards the Southwest end where they'd work through another section of woods.  

I settled back in, lay down on my side, head propped on my gear pack, thinking about hogs.

At about 8:30am I heard some grunts coming from the road and seven fat piggies of varying colors and hues come scootin' along on my right about 5 yards away but secluded by lotsa brush, doin' their little scuttle-stop-scuttle dance.

Soon as they cleared the brush I slowly got up, and using the big pine as cover I full drew the 55# Firefly on the first one that went broad side to me, and let fly the 29" 540 grain Beman at about 18 yards.

The shot felt and looked real good, behind the left elbow, but the penetration wasn't so good as the arrow was dangling - the pig ran off the road and squeeled real loud like a, well like a stuck pig, then it took off for the swamp.

I called Terry on the cell - he and Curt and I gave it about 25 minutes before tracking - lotta red blood splash on the road and into the bush, some good signs that gave us hope. But after about 50 yards in, the trail got smaller and harder to find.

After a hundred yards the blood trail was down to tiny spots as we entered the swamp. If that wasn't bad enuf, it started to rain. It was miracle that Terry found the arrow - busted twice and severed cleanly at the business end - the 200 grain Snuffer/adapter and 100 grain brass insert probably still in the hog.

Very frustrating and disappointing.  Didn't see or hear hog for the rest of the hunt.

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2008, 07:58:00 AM »
Great stuff guys! Looks like you had a blast! Cool pics and stories! Thanks for sharing!  ;)   :thumbsup:
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »
Got to love those southern swamps!

Hey Guru - lookin' good in Sitka brother!  :)

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »
Looks like a great time!!  Sorry to hear about the hog Rob!!
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
SA-WWWEEETTT

Well least ya had some SALMON ta fall back to

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
Hey Rob, can you say "extreme FOC Ashby-style arrows"?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©