3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Removing name from a bow  (Read 2718 times)

Offline Pmringer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Removing name from a bow
« on: November 09, 2020, 08:39:14 AM »
I had a custom bow made from a bowyer I liked.  Waited months and it just doesn't shoot like my previous one from him.  In the mean time I tried another bow that I really like and am sticking with it. Can a reasonable price be expected without it being removed.  Provided that it isn't painted under the clear coat what is the best way to remove it without damaging the bow so I can sell it?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 02:45:49 PM by Pmringer »

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Removing name from a bow to sell it
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 08:57:48 AM »
I always put clear coat over my lettering, perhaps you bowmaker did as well.

If not and the lettering is acrylic denatured alcohol will take it off. If the lettering is something like a sharpie you could try "Goof-Off" or naphtha.

Bisch

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 08:59:13 AM »
Most bowyers I know put the writing on the bow before doing the finish coats. That protects it. The only ways I know to remove the writing is to sand thru the finish coat, and then reapply, or have the limb/bow  refinished.

I’ve never known a name in a bow to substantially reduce the selling value of a bow. If it is “used”, you are not going to get “new” price for it, even if it was never shot at all.

Bisch

Bisch

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 09:00:11 AM »
Oops! Fat fingers!!!!!  :biglaugh:

Bisch

Offline Pmringer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 09:13:47 AM »
Good point. I won’t worry about it and just see what I can get out of it. I accept it’ll be a loss for sure. The only saving grace is no wait time. It’s a dandy bow I just can’t shoot this grip anymore after getting used to my temporary bow and injuring my wrist.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 09:17:13 AM »
Some ones name on a used bow just adds to the history of the bow. I always wonder what the person saw while using the bow or did he or she ever miss.....lol !!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 09:21:08 AM »
I would rather buy a used bow with the name still on it than a used bow with a half bungled removal job.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 09:29:22 AM »
I've been through “This is the last bow I’ll ever want” too many times, so I don't get my name on a bow anymore.  It's not really that difficult to lightly sand off a name, even if it's under the clear coat.  If you can find out what finish the bowyer used, apply a light coat of that over the place you sanded.  If you can't find out, find a quality woodworking store, show them the bow, and see what they recommend.  I did that to take someone else's name off a bow I bought, and it worked fine; can't tell where the name was removed.  Easier than removing a tattoo, for sure!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline David Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Howard Hill Tembo
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 09:35:31 AM »
I doubt your name on the bow would be a deal breaker on the resale. Unless your name is BINLADIN or maybe OBAMA it should be fine. I’ve never had my name put on my new bows, the reason is I’m not a fan of all the writing. My bow does have Howard Hills name on it and some guy named Tembo but I still like the bow

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 10:30:52 AM »
David Phillips

LOLOLOOLlololol Dude that was funny
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline MattfromVT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 10:50:21 AM »
I would rather buy a used bow with the name still on it than a used bow with a half bungled removal job.

I'm with BAK. I could ignore another guy's name, but not a big splotch in the finish.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 02:31:05 PM »
I only have one used bow with the previous owner's name. It is not clear, but I wish it was. It would be nice to try to find out something about that fellow.
Sam

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Removing name from a bow
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 03:08:01 PM »
My Wes Wallace is used. I left my friends name on the bow. I had it refinished when a limb tip lam came off. Now it’s got my name. My only regret was not marking down the year the bow was made.

Offline Long Barrel Colt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2020, 06:30:05 PM »
I had my name put on my new Black Widow Recurve. The bow ain't going anywhere.
Coyotes Shot No Waiting
Them Mountains For Animals And Savages
Bear Kodiak 59 Reissue #40
Black Widow PSR V #45
Black Widow PL V #50

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2020, 07:44:27 PM »
You can remove the name very easily if you want. 320 sand paper even if you have to sand to the wood.  Then just a coat or two of Tru Oil will march up to original finish.  You can even ad a complete coat of TurOil to the entire bow. I wipe on TruOil with a paper towel and immediately wipe it off with a dry paper towel...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2020, 07:58:53 PM »
I’ve removed several names from bows , most Ive done had the name on top of the sealer but under the final clear, take very fine steel wool and lightly rub the area with the name on it, take it easy and take your time , you will eventually get it, then just spray a coat of clear over it, the ones Ive done , you couldn’t tell it had ever been touched
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2020, 11:25:54 AM »
What I would do is see if the name was painted on over the finish or was covered with the finish. Painted on, a bit of acetone on a piece of rag should rub it off without getting much into the bow's finish. If it's under the finish, I would use a new utility knife blade to gently scrape off the finish until the name is gone, buff with 1000 grit wet sandpaper and then use an artist brush to paint over a coat of minwax polyurethane, getting it as even as possible. If it needs to be dull, buff with 4/0 steel wool.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2020, 01:37:02 PM »
Never had my name on a bow but one time.  That time I told the bowyer I just wanted the date when bow was made not my name.  Got the date plus my name.   :nono:  I want someone 60 or 100 years from now to know when it was made. 

Offline lefty4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2020, 04:08:09 PM »
I see the name on the bow as part of the history for whom the bow was made. It has nothing to do with who owns it now. I have not ordered a new bow in over 20 years and have gone through plenty of customs and never worried about the name on the bow and even met some folks based on the name and tracking down the original owner.    Personally, I would never remove the name just for the sake of removing the name, mine or a previous owner.
But that's just me.
I had a really good group going... until I shot the second arrow.

My best bows are the ones someone else didn't want.

"Be careful of something that's just what you want it to be."  Waylon Jennings

Offline PAINTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2020, 05:57:55 AM »
I once removed a name of of a Asbell Bighorn bow with automotive cleaning compound. it worked great.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©