3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: broken string, woried to shoot shrew again  (Read 355 times)

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
broken string, woried to shoot shrew again
« on: April 21, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »
this weekend i was shooting and the just shot in six strand on my samurai went pop.  i heard some loud crack and it felt horible in the hand.  i cant see any cracks but still nervous to shoot it again,  if there is any dammage how soon can i expect to see it with some normal  shooting?

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: broken string, woried to shoot shrew again
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 04:59:00 PM »
Why? so light a string as you know you were looking for trouble use at least a 10 or 12 strand string for saftey sake good luck the only way to tell is look for hair line cracks resting with new string and look again then exersize bow a little at a time listen for creeks it it cheaks ok try a few heavy arrows again listen for noise
Gord

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
Ron's bows are well built so you have that in your favor. Do what Gordon said and then get your confidence back and all will be well.   :goldtooth:  

Chort

Offline revharry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
Ron's bows come with a 6 strand 450 + string. they are plenty strong.  Call Ron for advice on your bow , later, Rev Harry

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 05:34:00 PM »
i have my doubts about those strings now i liked the way they shoot but i think they need to be replaced to often for me.  this one had just stoped stretching then pow.  im shure his strings are fine for some people and draw lengths but i like the bow too much to risk it agian.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »
I wouldn't call it "common", but that's not the first time I've heard of a low strand count 450+ string breaking without warning.  I've never heard of that happening with 8125 or Dynaflight '97, but it still makes me leery of tiny strings.  An improperly crimped nockset, a small nick, etc. and the string is more liable to break vs. one with more strands in it.

450+ is strong--approximately 155# test per strand--but constant flexing in a single spot could have something to do with it giving.  Look at it like bending a wire in the same spot over and over.

Where exactly did it break?  

As far as the bow goes, I'd check with Ron--probably get simiar advice as Gordon gave.

Chad

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »
broke right below the nock in the middle of the bend like you said.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
For what it's worth, my advice would be to switch to Dynaflight '97 or 8125.  If you like a small string, 12 strands of 8125 with 18 strands in the loops, or for a slightly larger string 12 strands of Dynaflight '97 with 18 strands in the loops.

Chad

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
I'd step up to and 8 strand with padded loops and use a tied on nock instead of the brass ones.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
i did have a brass one although it wasnt real tight and double serving.  I played with the bow and shot it a few dozen times and it seems fine.  i suspect all the noise was from the string breaking not the bow.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
I had the same thing happen to me... No sweat, The only problem is a broken string....My bow is still going.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »
Hey Chad,
Sound familiar..... Remember the replacement 8125's you made for my Shrew and Griffin to replace the 452 and 450+ strings that broke on me ? Mine broke about three inches below my ring finger. I wil take 8125 every day of the week and twice on Sunday !

jrchambers, if your bow is okay then thank goodness and get ya some 8125 from Chad ! I will never trust my Shrew to any of the 400 series materials again. Two broken strings in a month is enough for me.   :banghead:  

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Bob Foster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
I had a 450+ string break on my Super Shrew two years ago and this past winter I found one of the strands broken in my string I was shooting my indoor winter league.
I’m interested in trying 8125. What’s the difference? Where can I get a string made of 8125?

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
I had one break on my shrew recurve but that was after 2 years and a lot of arrow through the bow.  That string broke at one of the string loops.  The bow should be just fine I wouldnt worry about that.  I was continue to shoot the 450+ strings.  I have 5 Shrew bows and they all wear 450+ strings.  A few are 6 strand and a few are 8 strand.  I really cant tell the difference in performance.  1 strand of 450+ has a tensil strength of 150 pounds.  So 6 strands is more that sufficent.  I would guess either your string was wore out or you had a bad spot in it.  Have another one made and keep shooting!!    :thumbsup:
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
By the way I should also add that Ron and Gregg have tested every different bow string material made.  They chose 450+ because it was the quietest and had the best performance on the Shrew bows.  For more information contact one of them they can tell you more.

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
Tim,
I would never disagree with Java Man or Ron, no one knows the bows better than the Father and Builder of them ! However, the 400 series strings just are not for me. My strings were less than a year old. You are correct about how much tensile strength of the 400 series, but I think the problem is that it has ZERO stretch. Pretty scary when they break on release at full draw. Took me a few weeks to calm down and not expect the worst !!!   :biglaugh:  

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »
I know what you mean I was at full draw when the bottom loop of mine broke.  I was jumpy to say the least for the next couple outtings with any of my bows!!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »
Actually 450+ is rated at 155# test, but that isn't the problem.  PENN 66 and B-75 had a stronger tensile strength than B-500 and B-50, and most folks used the same number of strands in the strings--but a bunch of them still broke.

450+ is 70% Dyneema and 30% Vectran--my guess is the Vectran is the culprit. 8125 is 92% Dyneema (BCY doesn't list what the other 8% is).

What string material is quieter can vary from bow to bow, even one shooter to the next.  Some bows can be very quiet with most any material, some are really picky--just have to tinker to see what will work best for you.

Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©