3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Insert glue - Which one?  (Read 1133 times)

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Insert glue - Which one?
« on: November 13, 2020, 06:20:34 PM »
OK.  I’ve used JB Weld, Golf epoxy (fast set and overnight set), Insert Iron, and Super Glue in the past.  Recently I have been using Insert Iron and Gold Club Epoxy.  I am having inserts pull out left and right with both.  Also had one fail with JB weld.

I clean the inside of the shafts with denatured alcohol and I clean the inserts.  Problem is, all the epoxy stays on the insert when it pulls out.  None is adhering to the shaft.  So What glue do you recommend?
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Bisch

Re: Insert glue - Which one?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 06:29:36 PM »
Quick Stick hot melt from Big Jim’s. Your search for insert glue will be over!

Bisch

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 08:06:43 PM »
2nd Big Jim's, easy to use and works on alum. carbon, and wood. He has a video on it, give it watch.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 09:06:06 PM »
Besides using Acetone to clean I run a .30 brass cleaning brush inside the shaft. It scratches up the shaft so some glue sticks. A small rattail file will work also. I have had good luck with the black golf shaft epoxy until it got a few years old.
 I was gifted some 100 grain inserts that had Big Jim’s glue on them. So I used the same on a dozen Beemans recently. So far no issues with inserts pulling out. I may stick with it and use epoxy only for “footings”.

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 09:18:21 PM »
2nd Big Jim's, easy to use and works on alum. carbon, and wood. He has a video on it, give it watch.

Found the video.  I have some of that glue, but I've been using it to put adapters in broadheads.  Guess I'll give it a try.
Jeff

Online ed lash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 09:54:23 PM »
Have you changed shafts? I have good luck with glue adhesion in Gold Tips, and a little worse with Carbon Express Heritage. Have had good luck with CA glues and 30 minute epoxy. 5 minute epoxy is not as good. Also those heavier brass inserts don't glue as well as the aluminum inserts. If the JB Weld is old I don't think it works as well either.

Offline R. Fletcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 10:30:40 PM »
I normally use the JB Weld quick weld with good results on carbon and aluminum shafts after cleaning shafts and inserts with acetone.  Just recently I saw a package of Gorilla Glue low temp glue sticks at WalMart and installed some inserts in a couple arrows.  I haven't used them long enough to form a conclusive opinion but the three arrows I used it in have been shot 20-30 times a day, three or four days a week over a three week period.  So far, shooting into a compressed straw bale with the occasional miss, I haven't had an insert pull out yet.

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 10:36:59 PM »
Have you changed shafts? I have good luck with glue adhesion in Gold Tips, and a little worse with Carbon Express Heritage. Have had good luck with CA glues and 30 minute epoxy. 5 minute epoxy is not as good. Also those heavier brass inserts don't glue as well as the aluminum inserts. If the JB Weld is old I don't think it works as well either.

No.  these are Gold Tip shafts.  I have some from the past that I used golf club epoxy on and no issues.  I’ve used brand new epoxy, JB Weld, and Insert Iron and they keep coming out.  I’ve got two in my target right now.  Pulled two out today.  I just glued those two in with the Big Jim’s hot melt.  I’ll shoot them tomorrow; weather permitting.
Jeff

Offline Yellah nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 05:22:08 AM »
I use a hot melt from a closed shoe manufacturer. It was gifted to me from a fellow whose relative worked there before it closed. I have a cylinder abt 6 in. diameter by 6 inches high. It holds well enough, but I too have "backouts" from time to time. The most common cause is loose field points which leave a gap at the insert and head. Target stuff gets caught in there and you pull....and bada boom! If I am careful to tighten up the tips I am pretty much set.

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 05:54:53 AM »
Bohning Ferr-L-Tite Cool Flex.
The blue stick.  Stays flexible so it doesn't break free like others on hard hits.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 06:44:56 AM »
I use the glue from Big Jim a lot. I use the blue cap gorilla super for carbons,because it's so easy and they hold very well.

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 07:38:27 AM »
Big Jim's hot melt, it has never failed me.
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2020, 09:26:37 AM »
Agreed on the big Jim glue. Let us know how it works out for you
Relax,