3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Dream - Colorado sheep  (Read 1975 times)

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
The Dream - Colorado sheep
« on: November 16, 2020, 11:55:30 PM »
While it’s still whitetail season for many, I’m finally getting around to reflecting on a dream hunt I will never forget. I’ve always wanted to hunt sheep but my finances insist that I stand in line with everyone else.

I want to start with a big ‘thank you’ to all of the folks who helped me out. Many are active here and the traditional bowhunting community was extremely generous in sharing knowledge and answering my questions, not to mention sharing their personal stories and offering encouragement throughout the season. And none of this would be possible without the lifelong support of my parents, who even made a trip out from the Midwest to help me locate sheep and get their own glimpse into what sheep country looks like.

I spent the summer getting in shape and shot a couple of 3D tournaments for the first time in years. The pressure of shooting steep angles, longer distances and in front of friends who can’t wait to let you hear it if you blow a shot certainly makes a guy feel like he’s as prepared as he can be.
FoCoBlackWidow

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Dream - Colorado sheep
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 11:56:42 PM »
I had a band of good rams located prior to the season, but it took until the middle of the second day before they were in position for a stalk. After about a 90-minute climb, I was slipping down the steep face from above them until I ran out of cover. The wind swirled and the rams took off, but my friend Jason was playing spotter and signaled that some of the rams had stayed put on the other side of a cliff. I angled over, and poked my head over the edge. Sure enough, there was a big ram and three of his buddies, tightly hugging a cliff about 100 yards in front of me.
FoCoBlackWidow

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 11:57:45 PM »
Almost immediately, they got up and were moving fast in my direction. I quickly got ready, and suddenly the lead ram popped up 25 yards below me and stopped. I drew, and my lower limb tip hit a rock. I shuffled a half step out to clear the rock and in the process, skylined myself. He immediately looked up and bolted like a whitetail that just caught you in a tree. My arrow left the string about the time he took off, and he was gone before the arrow got there. If you look closely, you can see me with my head in my hands, in utter disbelief.
FoCoBlackWidow

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 11:59:55 PM »
Things sort of turned into “combat glassing,” as I’ll call it, after that in the high country. Suddenly it seemed like every tag holder in the unit was in the basin I had found the sheep in. I found the big guy again a couple of days later on a different mountain, but he managed to slip out the back door while I was dropping into the rock chute he had relocated to.
FoCoBlackWidow

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 12:00:59 AM »
It took several more days before I found sheep again, but after relocating to a couple of completely different areas, I finally found a ram hanging with ewes and lambs. He was legal, so it didn’t matter that he couldn’t hold the jock strap of the ram I had missed. Come to think of it, it would take a body builder to hold up the jock strap of a bighorn sheep…

Anyway, I managed a few stalks on rams over the next week, but every time I got within 60 yards, something would go wrong. After 15 days, the real world got in the way and I headed home to catch up on work.
FoCoBlackWidow

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 12:02:20 AM »
On the final weekend, I caught up to a big band of ewes with several rams tagging along. I got myself in position above them and could see them bedded in the open. I could hear what sounded like a cough immediately below me - we’re talking inside 30 yards. I figured I had better get ready and before I could even get an arrow on the string, out stepped an ewe. And then another. And then another. As they fed toward me inside 15 yards, a ram arrived. By the time the ewes stopped staring my direction, I had no shot. This happened a few more times and just like that, the chance of shooting a sheep walked out of my life.

All told, I was blessed to hike about 100 miles in some of the most beautiful country you could ever ask for. I got several stalks on sheep, got into stickbow range twice and had an opportunity at a ram most of us will only ever dream of. While I spent a lot of time alone over the 21 total days I hunted, I also met some gracious people who went out of their way to help me. I didn’t fulfill my dream of taking a sheep with my recurve, but I got an experience far richer than I could have ever imagined.
FoCoBlackWidow

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 12:03:09 AM »
A long time ago, I read the Jack O’Connor quote that says, “There is no half way. After his first exposure, a man is either a sheep hunter or he isn't. He either falls under the spell of sheep hunting and sheep country or he won't be caught dead on another sheep mountain.” I have certainly fallen under the spell, and I hope to experience it again.
FoCoBlackWidow

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 12:05:13 AM »
Bonus: I saw two different goats during my scouting and hunting. While the DOW doesn't want them in the area, they must cover ground occasionally.
FoCoBlackWidow

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 01:53:23 AM »
I enjoyed your telling of your tale of your dream hunt for the glorious Bighorn Ram.Sounds like an awesome and enriching experience.I dreamed of em as a boy.Something about them captures the imagination and they seam surreal and Heavenly.

You came close and had many encounters.Thats a big part of the deal.Very exciting!Maybe you will close the deal next time.You need a shorter bow next time so you don't bump that tip LOL.

>>>-------->

Online HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 08:42:34 AM »
Congrats Jordan!
I would say you are now an official sheep hunter!
though you didnt punch your tag your, the fact that you found sheep and got very close was a victory in itself, many people dont do that there first time.
Theres an old saying here: The harder you work, the luckier you get.  you proved that, Look forward to the next time!
There is room for all of Gods creatures, right next to my mashed potatoes!

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2020, 08:52:48 AM »
Awesome story Jordan and you did mighty well for your first sheep hunt.

I'm positive you will tag a ram on one of those hunts on the mountain.^5

Bisch

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 09:25:07 AM »
 Wry cool experience!!!!! Dream hunt, for sure.

Bisch

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2020, 09:30:16 AM »
What a great experience the country side alone is awesome !!!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2020, 09:55:39 AM »
Cool story and hunt. Hard core comes to mind.  Thank you for sharing
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2020, 10:23:51 AM »
I enjoyed your story.  Wish we could have seen a hero picture at the end.  Your story reminded me of my goat hunt some 30 years ago in the San Juans.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2020, 11:57:27 AM »
Good stuff. My hunt in S12 in 2007 ended similarly. Many close calls but no ram in the end. Would not trade that month for anything and it will always be my fondest memory.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2020, 12:23:29 PM »
Awesome hunt and mountainside!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2020, 12:32:59 PM »
Ah, the thrill of the high country ! Cool stuff ! :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2020, 05:51:39 PM »
Nice hunt recap, well done!  Nothing like sheep country!
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2020, 07:16:21 PM »
Jordan, you got the right attitude and I think you will be successful, in fact you already are...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©