3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: coffee on the hunt  (Read 544 times)

Offline WilliamMcC

• Trad Bowhunter
coffee on the hunt
« on: April 21, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
Quick question for you guys…

Do you ever bring coffee out with you hunting? I like to be in my spot 30min or so before daylight, which for the turkey season opener is 5:30am. Would it be ok to bring a thermos of java in the blind?

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: coffee on the hunt
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »
sure why not! coffee and a granola bar ,a sunrise, a lovesick tom making noise, great way to start spring day!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
Ducks or turkeys...coffee in the blind is great.    :coffee:    :coffee:
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 07:22:00 PM »
Bring it!   :coffee:   What would hunting be without a good cup of strong coffee to drink while watching the world wake up on a beautiful spring morning?   :confused:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »
Scent doesn't bother turkeys, motion/sight is what will get you busted hard.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
Deer on the other hand will tell you about it. LOL
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Online VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
By all means. Make sure you bring a empty gatorade bottle w/ you too! Unless you want to get busted by a tom while your taking care of business outside the blind. Not that I would know anything about that.   :rolleyes:
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »
heck...I do it when hunting deer....why not for turkeys   :)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline freeman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
VTer, don't your windows have "shoot through" mesh...  :biglaugh:

Offline WilliamMcC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »
man, Saturday  is looking better all the time! Coffee, turkeys, and bows and arrows.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 05:16:00 AM »
I had just finished up a cup from my thermos,seconds before I spotted the buck I shot last fall. If I am hunting from my blind I have food and coffee   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 06:17:00 AM »
I agree with Stoneknife, I know guys who bring coffee deer hunting al the time, even stand hunting and shoot lots of deer. Turkeys and such would be even better as David said. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 06:34:00 AM »
Game animals do not live in sterile environments. They don't spend their lives smelling dirt,cedar trees and coon pee.Country deer have smelled coffee brewing, bacon frying,and man peeing. The latter will usually be mentally connected to danger by the deer, the former two, not so much.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Leon.R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 06:59:00 AM »
If you walk and stalk coffee breaks give you a good time to look back and reflect.
I do it hunting and fly fishing, you look at what you are doing and why it did not work and then change your approuch.
Works best with fly fishing while you sit and have your coffee you will see things on the river that you miss while actively fishing.
Black Douglas 68#
Wing Gull 60#
Hoyt Havoc 80#
Coupla other wheelies.
If ya gonna be stupid, you better be tough!

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »
Game animals do not live in sterile environments. They don't spend their lives smelling dirt,cedar trees and coon pee.Country deer have smelled coffee brewing, bacon frying,and man peeing. The latter will usually be mentally connected to danger by the deer, the former two, not so much.

In my experience Coffee drinking = Man Peeing

Offline Elmer Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 09:23:00 AM »
Remember ISHI! He never ate before hunting so we may be sure that he didn't eat while hunting, not even candy bars!

He just drank some water before the hunt.

Sometimes when I see people preparing for a three hour driven hunt on deer and wild boar I always think that their has forced them to leave home for a long while.    ;)
Elmer Keith

"To the housewife a piece of meat wrapped neatly in plastic has no more emotional effect than a bunch of carrots. But let someone say he is going hunting and her heart bleeds with sympathy for the game. " Fred Bear

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
I used to take a brass canteen, build a stick fire and make myself a cup of tea.  I shot a deer once while the water was boiling and the stick fire still burning.  I figure deer are more threatened by my smell than a bit of smoke.  The smell of coffee could maybe even attract them.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by TonyW:

In my experience Coffee drinking = Man Peeing
coffee doesn't make me pee.  It does other things to me.  :rolleyes:
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »
I even took my own pot and coffee to Africa cause I heard they use just instant! Glad I did, it was true! Only use it while turkey huntin and cold weather whitetail. Too hot in early season Florida stands! Biggie did spill my coffee once when a big gobbler walked into sight. I made him give me some of his! He uses that flavored creamer, thinks it makes his breath better- it don't.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
I bring coffee esspecially when it's cold.I figure if the deer can smell the coffee it can probably smell me too besides I wanna enjoy myself and a nice cup of hot coffee after ya been freezin on stand is very enjoyable
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©