3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Place to Live in Alaska --- Update we have arrived ———  (Read 2752 times)

Offline Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
Calling all Alaska residents or past residents where is the Best place to live in Alaska for big game moose, bear and river fishing salmon & steelhead.
We have 3 kids and are considering homesteading / semi off grid. Have been looking hard at SE maybe Haines area for its milder climate and better growing season for garden. Or the Kenai Peninsula. We home school and I have been working the manufacturing automation field for along time.
We grew up in Northern MN and LP of Michigan.
Thanks,
Chad  :coffee:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 12:46:26 AM by Chad Orde »
-------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/@Island_Drifter

https://www.instagram.com/island__drifter/

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. Truman Capote

Offline RANGER94

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Place to Live in Alaska --- Question---
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 04:00:55 PM »
I think they make TV shows based off of people like you.   Looks like a wonderful opportunity!  Good luck.

Offline chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 07:51:01 PM »
I'm going to say Dillingham. It's off the road system, but the airport can take large jets. Very nice community.

You need toys to get around like snogos, boats, plane. But the moose and brown bear hunting are very good. Phenomenal freshwater fishing for the Pacific salmon, as well as wild rainbows, dollies, and arctic grayling. Also some pike, burbot...but no steelhead.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 08:15:58 PM »
Based on my experiences nearly 60 years ago I would say Haines for sure, but those experiences are totally irrelevant today. Like you said hunting, fishing, and gardening should still be good there and Haines is a little off the beaten path or was.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Online stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 10:18:28 PM »
I'll be watching this one closely. I'm in similar situation (homeschool, looking to get off grid...) but my plans got delayed a bit as we just brought home our 5th child from the hospital today. So in about 3 years I may be following you up north :biglaugh:

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 03:38:03 AM »
The thought crossed my mine, it is getting a little crazy here.  Most of the rivers have good fishing, seasonal for salmon and steelhead, from SE Alaska to the Bering Sea.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 09:35:12 AM »
Living in Michigan you know about winters. Good luck and let us know how you make out, if you can.

Offline Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 10:45:07 AM »
Plan is to do some exploring / traveling just wanted to get any advice I could from the gang. Want to build or buy a cabin with some good hunting and fishing very close I understand Alaska is big and travel to other areas is mandatory but want to be in a good core area for home base.

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 12:57:10 PM »
There is no BEST place to live in Alaska. Forget asking that question and no stranger can answer that for you. This state is large and it depends on what you want out of life. I would recommend that you come up and just rent some place and while here travel around for a couple of years. Where I live there is good hunting (moose, caribou, sheep, wolf, coyote blk bear, grizzly) but lousy fishing (mainly burbot & grayling but no real salmon or trout except in the lakes which are few. Trapping is fine. I live in a very small town about 200 miles from Fairbanks (Tok) and have a remote cabin on 40 acres 30 minutes away on the Alaska hwy plus a 4 whlr/snogo ride to get to it. Oh you have to put a new trail in each year as parts washes out! A winter trail in needs to be "refreshed" weekly.  We are cold in this part of Alaska. It was 33 below yesterday (-22 today) and 50 below or colder is not unusual and were are loosing 5 minute of day light per day. Further south in the warm country it is more daylight and warmer but also more people & services and better fishing! Unless you have been up in Alaska before you do not know how big it is!
John/AK

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 01:35:20 PM »
Chad,

I moved to Alaska in 1980. The first 30 years were in SE Alaska, mostly in Juneau. I'm now living in the Mat-Su valley between Palmer and Wasilla.

SE Alaska is nice if you don't mind getting wet. You don't get to see the sun and blue sky or stars all that much. I think Haines has better weather and is a pretty nice town. I don't know what the land situation is there.

The biggest problem with SE is getting around it. You either go by water (your boat or the ferry), or you fly. The ferry system is struggling financially, so the schedule is limited, and it has kind of expensive fares. Haines has a bit of an advantage in that it is connected to the continental road system, but you have a bit of a drive to get to the rest of Alaska, and you have to cross through Canada, which could be a problem if you want to bring firearms along with your archery and fishing gear.

Since you want to travel and explore, I think that the Kenai, or even the Mat-Su area might be areas to consider. The core area of the Mat-Su (between Wasilla and Palmer) is getting pretty well populated, but you need only go 15-20 miles N, E or W and the population thins out quite a bit with plenty of elbow room. You could look towards Willow or further North towards Talkeena or Trapper Creek to get an even more "rustic" setting. I don't know too much about Sutton to the East. Going only as far as Big Lake, or down towards Pt. Mackenzie might be worth looking into also.

As far as weather goes, where I'm at, I can see salt water, so I'm in a maritime environment temp wise, with only about 17 inches of precip per year. The temps during the winter generally stay above zero, but we do have a week or two in the -15 to -20 deg temps. Of course, when you start moving away from the coast, it starts getting colder. I guess you can go to Wikipedia to get the typical weather for most places you want to check out.

I'll stop here. I guess the biggest thing I'd suggest to consider is the ease of travel and how important that is to you, and go from there.
Chuck

Online stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 02:30:14 PM »
I think there has been great advice given here so far. I have been working on finding a spot for me there for almost a decade. Due to the logistics of moving a family of (now) 7, I want it to be a one and done deal.

During this decade, I spent a month in Barrow and found out that this did not offer what I was looking for. A few years later, I spent a month around Nome and loved the area but still it wasn't right for me. A few years later, I spent a month in the mat-su valley area but found out again that this wasn't for me. All of these places could have been perfect for YOU. This summer my plan was to check out west of Illamna lake. I am a teacher by trade so I have the freedom to really check out and explore areas before taking the permanent plunge.

Offline Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 02:45:06 PM »
I think there has been great advice given here so far. I have been working on finding a spot for me there for almost a decade. Due to the logistics of moving a family of (now) 7, I want it to be a one and done deal.

During this decade, I spent a month in Barrow and found out that this did not offer what I was looking for. A few years later, I spent a month around Nome and loved the area but still it wasn't right for me. A few years later, I spent a month in the mat-su valley area but found out again that this wasn't for me. All of these places could have been perfect for YOU. This summer my plan was to check out west of Illamna lake. I am a teacher by trade so I have the freedom to really check out and explore areas before taking the permanent plunge.

Sounds like an awesome way to do it for sure!!

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 07:00:30 AM »
I'm afraid I can only dream of this, but maybe...
 :coffee: :campfire: :archer2:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2021, 11:53:18 PM »
Well we made the jump to Alaska! Quit work which was harder and easier than I thought it would be if that makes sense.... We spent just over a month in Northern MN visiting family and catching up before making tracks out west. Considered wintering in AZ or NM for the winter but where concerned we may get trapped with a travel closer. We dropped of the trucks and trailers at the ferry out of Seattle, Alaska Marine Lines was awesome to work with. We hoped a jet to Ketchikan and then a ferry to Prince of Whales. We have been here almost a month and have been exploring, fishing and looking for a homestead site! Hunting season is in full swing and we need to nock the rust off the bows and find a spot to take some deer for the winter months.
 Here are my thoughts so far on Alaska: People are awesome!! They stop and introduce themselves and ask if you need anything, just WOW is all I can say. Its big breath of fresh air! The land is spectacular fish everywhere, eagles flying, sea lions and otters in the bays. We have been foraging berry's and mushrooms daily! Hunting pics and more stories to come!! Chad Orde
Ill post some pics but I'm a little behind on the the sizing, and organizing but I have them on Instagram under https://www.instagram.com/northwoods_drifter/ if you don't want to wait. I could not wait to share this with the Gang you guys are awesome and I finely have a internet connection again, no phone or TV no big loss there LOL. More to come.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 12:47:46 AM by Chad Orde »

Offline Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2021, 01:05:58 AM »
I'm afraid I can only dream of this, but maybe...
 :coffee: :campfire: :archer2:
Don’t dream and don’t wait it’s here for the taking life is short brother!   :)

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Place to Live in Alaska --- Update we have arrived ———
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2021, 04:12:58 AM »
Living the dream. That’s awesome for you buddy. I’m glad for you. Enjoy it
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2021, 12:47:36 PM »
Can't wait to see where you finally settle in !  Good luck in your adventures and can't wait to "hear" some stories! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2021, 01:47:03 PM »
Sounds incredible
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2021, 09:22:13 AM »
I was wondering what happened to you as I hadn't heard anything in awhile.  Best of luck to you and the family!  Sounds like an awesome life adventure!  I'll be looking forward to the hunting stories to come!
Gary

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2021, 09:30:37 AM »
I'm too old and my health is not as good as it once was, but back in the day the thought of Alaska was very intriguing.  However, I married a girl who is defintely NOT an outdoor enthisiast, who let me know really quick she had no interest in leaving Georgia. Could have been worse, she might have wanted to go to a big city (I don't even go to Atlanta).  I am following this thread closely, often thinking about what could have been...
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©