3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: static tip recurves  (Read 5288 times)

Offline bsv

• Trad Bowhunter
static tip recurves
« on: November 28, 2020, 02:08:06 PM »
I'm thinking my next bow will be a static tip.it wont be till after xmas . that will give be time to look around. So who would you recommend as a bowyer? I have done a search and there must be more than the few I find so I'm asking your advice.. Thanks Burt
R/D's soon to come

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: static tip recurves
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 02:46:39 PM »
I only have experience with a couple of them. I own a TimberGhost G3SS 3 piece and a Cari-bow Tuktu 2 piece. The TimberGhost has a more radical curve profile and is blazing fast. It is also very forgiving in my opinion probably due to the bow design and I think the carbon adds torsional stability in the limb. Mine is made with G10 in the riser which I like because I like a little more physical weight. There is more weight in the beginning of the draw and I think maybe it gains a pound or so per inch in the last part of the draw at anchor. It is very smooth drawing. Like it so much I ordered a second set of limbs for it. Just a fantastic bow. The Tuktu is a physically lighter weight bow with less beef in the riser. It is fast but not quite as fast in my opinion as the TimberGhost. It has a very smooth draw but the draw is more linear and not as much feel of extra weight at the beginning of the draw cycle. It is quieter than the TimberGhost but I was able to get the TimberGhost very quiet. The Tuktu is as quiet as a lot of longbows. It's a great bow with a very nice grip. I shot a really nice coues deer with the TimberGhost in August. I really like the super curve bows. Bob Lee has a super curve limb that they are working on now and I believe they will have it out very soon. If you are into ILF I would consider the Uukha VX super curve limb.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 02:36:27 PM by azhunter »

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 03:39:13 PM »
 I have shot and used Dryad static ILF limbs for a long time. In fact they don’t even offer them anymore. I was also very pleased with the 50’s style River Runner from Chad Holm. I was bless to be able to have 2 of them. With Chad’s passing there will be no more !! I feel the River Runner is one of the best performers out there. I really like static limb bows, had several RER’s that I should have kept !! Good luck in your search  !!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 03:49:21 PM »
Dan Toelke makes a fine one, the Super Static.

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 05:19:38 PM »
I had the opportunity to shoot a few of Chads bows the River Runner is the one that stood out the most to me. As Ron mentioned with Chads unexpected passing there will be no more. Had an RER that was amazing, traded to a good friend I see it from time to time. That Toelke is an awesome shooter to be sure.
I have whittled up a few Static self bow curves and like the results a great deal.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 10:15:28 PM »
A Stalker would be my choice. His Coyote with static limbs is superb. A rocket, and quiet.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline ty_in_ND

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 12:07:36 AM »
Another vote for Stalker Stickbows! I have a pair of South's Apex ILF limbs (which are also static tipped) and not only do they shoot well, but the look good, too!
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 02:05:42 AM »
I love static or actually more "semi" static recurve and had a few

RER XR (16" riser) and the Vital (18")  from the Termatts era: they were very good bows but you gotta like their riser. For my taste they lacked a bit of riser weight and grip wasn't t my favorite although I could shoot it. The 18" was a kind of African eland magnet  :cheesy:

La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 02:20:36 AM »
I had a few success over 6 years of use with Border bows from Scotland as well. I used the Black Douglas recurve with gen 6 6.5 and cv  X ( which is little more conventional profile than the others)
I like those very much but I really hated the next gen from HEX7 to the latest and as a customer I didn't like a bow company that change every 2 years their limbs without letting the customer any availiability on older design, so I stopped with borders bows.

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 02:25:51 AM »
I had a beautiful Caribow tuktu EX 62"
Abe makes one of the best grip for my taste. That Tuktu was a very good bow for mountain hunting: very light in hands 2 piece TD.

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 02:29:48 AM »
Then a Timberghost G3SS
Nice bow, perfect crafting, very fast. I couldn't get it silent enough but it was accurate.

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 02:35:31 AM »
I have a very nice Prana from Hurst bows.
That bowyer makes really a wonderfull static recurve. It is my mountain hunting bow now and for years. VERY fast for a glass limbed bow, tough hunting tool though beautiful. Completely silent out of the box and so easy to shoot.

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2020, 02:53:24 AM »
Then comes another static: the BigFoot Sasquatch special which I consider the best hunting tool ever in my  hands I have 2 and the 3 rd is coming.
That bow is one of the fastest pound for pound glass bow, one of the easiest to tune ( it took me 15 minutes shooting for both of my Sasquatch To tune them perfectly ), butter smooth at my long draw, ZERO post shot vibes, silent very easily, incredibly accurate and VERY tough, although not really a wall hanger,for some,people. Bomb proof as well: i unfortunately let my 62" fell out of a 10 ft TS one in Namibia getting in the tree in the dark. And despite some scratches and dings on limbs on the finish I could kill a HUGE gemsbok a couple of hours later and lot of game after that. I killed many animals with that SASQUATCH  some of them being very nice trophies in tough conditions (rain snow extreme hot etc...)and that bow never let me down.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 01:13:29 AM by hybridbow hunter »

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2020, 02:56:55 AM »
Some more fun from that wonderfull Sasquatch

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2020, 04:13:41 AM »
Here is the static recurve crew of mine ( except the far right Toelke Linx)

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2020, 04:17:59 AM »
and the Hurst bow

Offline bsv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2020, 09:12:11 AM »
Holy cow.. Thank-you very much. I thought Kirk from big foot  was retired  :clapper: :clapper:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 09:35:03 AM by bsv »
R/D's soon to come

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2020, 09:17:51 AM »
No he is building bows again  :thumbsup:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2020, 09:27:31 AM »
I forgot I have a Stalker Coyote, 62” 46@29 !! Great bow and good performer!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline bsv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2020, 10:26:29 AM »
I've never heard of Hurst bows They look great thanks for the info ,Burt
R/D's soon to come

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©