3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rock bottom  (Read 4377 times)

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rock bottom
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2020, 03:30:16 PM »
Well spoken Dave, thank you for the kind words.

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2020, 03:35:10 PM »
From your last post it sounds like you define success as filling your tag.  There is nothing wrong with that everyone has their own definition.  But there is so much more that goes into this sport and our time in the woods.  Actually filling a tag is such a small amount of the experince.  By choosing to define the entire experince success on such a small percentage of the actual whole buts a ton of undue preasure on that one specific moment.  Maybe rethinking/ redefining what you consider success will help you relax more, not put so much preasure on yourself,  when the moment comes to realse the arrow.  Who doesnt shoot better when they are relaxed?

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2020, 05:48:11 PM »
I can relate to him on the tag filling thing.
We don't eat much red meat from under plastic at the grocery store.  It's deer.  Might be whitetail, red deer, sika or axis but it's deer.
And if I cannot do it effectively and efficiently with a trad bow I'll use a modern bow.
However I've been fortunate and I enjoy shooting it so when I draw on an animal and the arrow flies I feel like I should have a cleaning job in the near future.
The kill isn't the whole definition of success, but it is the pinnacle of it.  It is what all the hard work, heart ache and discipline is about. 
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline bowkill146

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2020, 08:05:23 PM »
My opinion is that if you are as dedicated to the sport as it sounds like you are, obviously spend more time practicing, but maybe go out a few times and commit to not shoot.  If you have opportunities, just play through it.  Let them come and draw on them as if you were going to let it fly but just hold on to it.  If your problem has to do with nerves, it should help to go through the whole motion without the nerves about the ending.  Then after you have a few chances of that, when you get more confidence from practicing and that opportunity comes again, it hopefully won't play the same mind games as it did before

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2020, 08:54:58 PM »
Appreciate all the advice. Strongly considering trying a sight at least for a little while. If anything to get my sight picture more focused hopefully on game. I've got a week of gun season to get kinks worked out and then probably at least another week or more before the deer settle back down and start going back out to feeding in the evenings.

Offline Kokopelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2020, 09:10:34 PM »
Ok ................. My $.02 worth;

(1) I spend a lot of time on the practice bales, not just shooting but constantly working to improve form. I make my own paper targets and change them often. The arrow holes in a target after a shooting session will talk to you if you listen.  For example, if most of the arrow holes are to the left it tells me that I'm plucking the string. Low right, I'm dropping my bow-arm. You get the idea. The target is then hung by my bow rack and a glance at it before the next practice session tells me what I need to work on.
Cal Vogt (former NFAA Bowhunter Div. Champion a bunch of times) used to tell me that elevation can be tough but if you're not shooting line something's wrong with your form.

(2) As has been mentioned ......... ROVING !!!
I've gone to a bit of trouble to get my field points, blunts & broadheads to group together. When I'm roving, if the shot can be made safely, even if it's out well past my comfort zone I'm sending one while trying to remember what I leanrt on the practice bales. If I hit... Yea Me !! ........... and if I miss I want to know why. My form or distance guesstamation ??? This is where a rangefinder is useful to confirm distance.
Roving is a lot of fun and serious roving can be a huge confidence builder. 

(3) The 'Don't Miss' trap.
Never tell yourself don't miss. It sets up a negative vibe.
Rather, shoot it just like you've practiced it with confidence.

Good luck & keep after it.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2020, 09:46:14 PM »
Unfortunately my year has been as bad or worse than yours.  I decided to hang it up for the year last weekend. Nov. 12th I had the worst best day ever! Saw 15 different bucks, Missed a booner twice and wounded a nice 130" deer a few hours later. I have no idea what happened on the one I hit. I thought I made a perfect quartering away shot? :dunno: Lost him after tracking for 5-600 yards then grid searched. I went back out the next Saturday reluctantly and missed a nice 140" deer at 12-14 yards. I know my issue is not shooting enough and I accept that. I thought I was good enough. Working 12-14 hour days really cut into my practice time this year and last. I shoot great on my target but the Autopiplot factor just isn't there when the pressure is on. I used to shoot 500-1000 arrows a week. I'm definitely feeling your pain!
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2020, 10:06:45 PM »
Bucknut, sorry to hear. Glad you decided to share your experience even though it's tough.

As for what you describe as "autopilot" this has worked for me in the past. In fact I've always considered myself a very solid instinctive shooter out to 20 yards which is my max distance with all things perfect. However this year it's like when I get ready to release i black out and can't even really remember the shot.

Offline JD Page

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2020, 10:28:14 AM »
Taking the shot on a quartering away buck is a shot for a very competent Archer. If you knew your shooting was off that is reason enough to hang it up until you get a lot of practice in. Good luck next season..

Offline Lon Sharp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2020, 10:55:44 AM »
Buckeyebowhunter, you are clearly miss-identifying the problem.  You say in you opening "At an all time low with my shooting," but then describe shooting fine until the moment presents itself on live deer.  The problem is you are battling YOU.  You may be overwhelmed by your desire to succeed, or your fear of missing or an unconscious belief that what happened last time will happen again.  This is similar, I suppose, to target panic, which has derailed many a target archer.

The remedy is to understand what is happening in your mind. That might be easier said than done.  Then plan the next encounter.  Plan to make it close.  Really close.  Slam dunk.  Remind yourself not to rush or worry if the deer might get away.  If he bolts, so be it.   There will be another time.  Be a hunter in watching behavior and preparing for the moment of the shot, the right distance and right angle.  THEN at the moment of the shot, plan to quit thinking of anything but the simple mechanics of making a good shot...pushing the arrow directly to where you want it to go, while pulling the string directly straight away and release it into the center of the shot.  NOW go back to hunter mode and record your mind's video of where the arrow struck and the deer's subsequent reactions.

You will overcome this, just know you already know how to shoot arrows.  Now you must control your thinking and emotions.  Learn to use some deep breathing and mentally rehearse doing it right!  Good luck. 

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2020, 11:12:33 AM »
Based on your dedication to the sport and the fact you practice enough, I submit for thought that the problem is not in your shooting at all , the problem is mental. If you are hitting targets well but missing deer, practicing more will NOT help you out, sorry. In my experience I'd label it hyperintention ; the act of trying too hard to successfully achieve an outcome , or performance anxiety; the fear during the act that you may not succeed.

So what will help you?

If you are in a target rich environment which based on your post you are, I propose that you "count
    coup" on the next few deer you see. By that I mean drawing, aiming, and letting down. No shooting! I'd
    suggest you do this multiple times before considering taking a shot. At full draw, concentrate and KNOW
    that you cant miss, but dont take the shot. After doing this multiple times do it again, draw, aim, know
    you are on target, know you cant miss, tell yourself like the other times you are just practicing, then at
    the last moment allow yourself to release. The difference is INTENT. There is no pressure placed upon
    yourself if your just aiming. You can actually minimize the stress factor by fooling your brain and keeping
    it out of "I have to perform" or "Please dont miss " mode. Your INTENT is the perfection of your form
    during an actual encounter. Focus on intent not outcome and the results will follow.

It may sound odd, but you will still get to experience the hunt and the exposure without concentration on OUTCOME but concentration on FORM will make a difference. Best of Luck, hang in there.

Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2020, 11:14:42 AM »
LOL, Lon submitted his post as I was typing my own, and hadnt had a chance to read it. We agree.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2020, 09:00:05 PM »
Appreciate it guys.  :thumbsup:

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2020, 09:09:36 PM »
I’m in a several year slump. I put a sight on my bow this year , haven’t had a shot at a deer, but confidence and consistency are better than ever. Sights aren’t the end of the world. I’m really liking the SRF sight
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2020, 09:28:11 PM »
Mike. How exactly does these SRF sight work  without a pin? I looked at them but couldn't quite comprehend.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2020, 09:44:07 PM »
Basicly your eyes will automatically center things, the oval is to allow you to. ( after practice) move up for longer shots. 3 rivers has a very good explanation on their site. At first glance it doesn’t look like it would be very accurate, but I find it almost as accurate as a pin but much more dim light friendly. I tried several different pins and ring sights but like the SRF better. Just having it there for reference really helps with confidence. My bracket is just a flat peice of aluminum. I drilled the holes to fit the screws pretty tight so I could take it off and put it back without having to resight it.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2020, 10:40:04 PM »
You mention that you are confident at the range. I take it that means that you shoot well there. Do you take a couple of practice shots from your stand before you leave it? What happens then? Do you hit what you are shooting for?
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2020, 10:29:19 AM »
Jock,

Yep always shoot a couple leaves before I climb down. And always hit them. Or at least within a few inches of them. 

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2020, 11:41:55 AM »
Mike. How exactly does these SRF sight work  without a pin? I looked at them but couldn't quite comprehend.

I have a SRF sight but no mount for it.  I tried it and it helps but went back to no sight, if you want to try it and rig or buy a mount, I'll send it to you.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2020, 10:28:43 PM »
Kenny I appreciate that generous offer. I'm working with a single pin sight right now and seems to working out well.  I don't like having it on my bow but have been extremely consistent with it. But,  I was shooting well without it also so we will see how it goes on live game I suppose once gun season wraps up.   :pray:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©