3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Durability of wood shafts  (Read 4458 times)

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
Durability of wood shafts
« on: November 29, 2020, 12:36:25 PM »
What is the most durable wood for arrows?  Cedar is probably the most fragile I'm thinking.  Although I have had tapered Cedar take a beating.
 :coffee: :campfire: :archer2:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Durability of wood shafts
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 12:39:52 PM »
Hickory, ash, bamboo.

Sitka spruce is nice.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 12:46:15 PM »
Have also had an Ash arrow found at a 3-D that I shot for two more years at 3-D, last 6 months with no fletch left, until it took a direct hit on a concrete culvert.  I burned it with honors.

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 02:02:28 PM »
Most durable and wood arrows aren’t usually used in the same sentence. That said I have had cedars bounce off rocks and not break but a Maple shaft shattered when it hit a stump the wrong way. Right now I am trying some Aspen shafts from Forrester Arrows. Out of the 7 he sent me one has broken from slapping a rock breaking in the middle. The others have taken a beating (I like taking lo...ng shots) . For a shaft that is physically lite compared to ash or hickory so far so good. This set of shafts is basically a test kit as each shaft was a tad different in spine and weight.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 02:42:41 PM »
I have cedar shafts that I bought for my Treadway bow in 1999. The first year I owned the bow I put over 10,000 shots through her and I still have most of those arrows today. I don't shoot that bow much anymore but the arrows are still good after many, many shots.
 The most durable shafts I've ever had were some poplar shafts that Charlie Jefferson(stringstretcher, RIP) made for me. I don't think I ever broke one and Charlie asked me to try. I was his guinea pig for these shafts. I've had ash shafts that were very strong but I had a hard time keeping them straight.
  Sitka spruce makes a pretty durable shaft as does lodgepole pine and most hardwood shafts, hickory especially. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 03:51:48 PM »
I shoot cedar and feel it is less fragile than many say; however, I would not put it on the tough list. I have found hickory to be quite tough but heavy. Bamboo is also extremely tough. These are the only two I have used. Still, for general hunting and 3D, I prefer cedar. It gives all around good performance. Roving is sometimes hard on cedar, though. I do have a hankering to make some mahogany arrows.
Sam

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 04:15:27 PM »
I have shot all kinds of wood arrows, wood is wood, I like it no matter what kind. In all honesty I think I broke more carbon arrows stumping than wood. I had some laminated birch that were really tough!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online evgb127

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 04:18:25 PM »
Back when Allegheny Mountain Arrow Woods was still in business, they had me sold on their ash arrows.  Since then, I’ve been torture testing some cedars and have been pleasantly surprised.  I also switched to 3Rivers wood screw point adapters, which allow me to use a variety of 5/16 screw in points. I don’t think I will go back to carbon arrows any time soon.
-EVG

Offline chase perry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 07:54:01 PM »
I'm currently shooting Douglas Fir arrows, and feel that they're pretty tough.  I don't think a carbon would have withstood the last thing that broke one of those.  I also have a Doug Fir arrow back in the quiver that killed a deer a week ago.  It's shooting great after a thorough inspection.   :archer2:

Best regards, Chase
Proverbs 28:1 "...the godly are as bold as lions."
Isaiah 40:31

BARK, n. The song of the dog. -Ambrose Bierce

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 10:51:37 AM »
Reason for my question is that I have some Hickory arrows that are flying well.  Grouping right with an AD nitro stinger, Warrior and AD Trad carbon arrow(s) that I also have to play with.  15-18 yards is maximum available distance in my back yard.  Along side of house, not pointing at any neighbor fences, per spousal unit directions.  At 875 grains the hickory should make a good hog arrow.  Penetration on block target is very good!!!  I also have some Red Balau shafts I'll be making up as well that should weigh @30 grains more.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 03:05:38 PM by Wudstix »

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 05:05:49 PM »
I am, and always have been, a cedar guy....

Aluminum bends.... Carbon breaks.... So does wood.
However, I have a 5 gallon bucket full of "survivors" from past dozens of arrows. Some dating back almost 20 years.
There's no rhyme nor reason, why some arrows break, yet others seem indestructible??
All I can think of, is that it's the natural structure and individual composition of the wood itself...  :dunno:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2020, 05:11:40 PM »
I'm with Chase.  The Douglas Fir arrows that I have are just as tuff as many carbons that I have tried.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Online streamguy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 06:41:31 PM »
The ash and hickory I've used have been really tough.  Tougher that the cedar and tulip poplar - for head on shots into rocks as well as glancing blows.  But they're heavy, unless you're shooting heavy bows - then it works out pretty well.  I've never shot bamboo, Douglas Fir or some of the hardwoods listed at Forrester Shafts, so I cant comment or compare.
I did use 3 Rivers internal footing jig to foot some poplar shafts and get a higher FOC.   they've held up really well.

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 06:55:05 PM »
X3 on Douglas Fir. I shot carbons for lots of years. Douglas fir is the only wood I’ve tried, they are tough as nails.
Never measure the mountain until you have reached the top, then you will see how low it is.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 07:33:09 PM »
I have to believe the area we live in has something to do with how long a wood arrow lasts. I just flexed a Cedar shaft I had made up but never used. Maybe 8 years old. Well it cracked. I have to believe this Az. hot, dry climate sucks the moisture out of the woods. This wasn’t the first experience with arrows I have fracturing for what seems no good reason. But I like woods so I will keep making them.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 08:59:31 PM »
Just my experience, but no way is Douglas Fir as tough as carbon. Now that doesn’t mean I don’t like Douglas Fir because that is what I primarily shoot.  It’s a good compromise between the straightness of cedar and the toughness of ash.

If you want tough in a shaft of natural material, bamboo is the shaft!
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2020, 09:05:25 PM »
As I said above... I'm a cedar guy!! :thumbsup:

However, I have a luxury that many don't... A son that just loves to sit and make arrows!!!
I buy the shafts, feathers, nocks, etc. and Tyler gets out the Jo-Jan multi-fletcher and goes to town, LOL

I actually have dozens of arrows, boxed up, that have never been shot. Boxes of "Hunting Arrows" with broadheads, waiting for hunting season. Back Quivers full, tipped with field points. A bucket full of "odds & ends" tipped with blunts and field points, for "stumping"......

Yup, Old Woodchucker's one lucky Indian :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2020, 12:24:56 AM »
I have been shooting wood arrows for five or six years and still have about seven of the first one I made I also came across a tool called Arrow-fix made in Germany it’s an awesome tool for repairing broken arrow it will pay for its self.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2020, 01:54:41 AM »
Michael, I had a set of ash shafts from Allegheny woods that I just loved.  They stayed straight, with only minor tweaking.  I have a set of hickories, that weigh in at 850 grains with 190 grain Grizzlies.  I love shooting them.  They're pretty close to bomb proof.  I like heavy arrows, and my primary hunting bow is a Bob Lee at 66 pounds.  It handles them fine for the ranges I'm willing to shoot.

Murray
Murray Seratt

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2020, 09:28:54 AM »
Hardwood shafts(hickory, white oak, poplar) are pretty durable. But I hand plane my own and those take twice as long  so I use white pine and  they are not as durable but easier to make. Jawge

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©