3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Widow with camo limbs?  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Widow with camo limbs?
« on: November 30, 2020, 09:49:35 PM »
I'm heading down to Nixa before the end of the year to test shoot all the 3 piece recurves I can.

Wondering if anyone has a Widow with camo limbs?

Don't think I've seen one before, and thinking it would look neat.

Can't decide whether I want an exotic wood, or the graybark!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 11:02:41 PM by Iowabowhunter »
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Widow with camo limbs?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 11:11:34 PM »
Most of the woods that BW bows are made out of provide sufficient camo on their own, from greybark to exotic.  Some of the exotics don’t, but those are obvious showy pieces that you probably wouldn’t be interested in anyway. BW is a classic; my advice to you is to go with one of their classic finishes and not try to guild the lily.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline KentuckyWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 11:44:23 PM »
If I remember right, they had camo as an option a long time ago...in the 90’s. Seem to remember some people wanting the camo off later and it was a crap shoot on whether the limbs would be “greybark” or “autumn oak” under it.

Got to agree with MCDave, can’t go wrong with a widow in greybark or autumn oak....they blend in wonderfully. As for exotics...some are more camo than others. My PLX is bocote and zircote....super at blending in and the most beautiful bow I have ever seen; but I am a little bias....she’s my baby.
Black Widow PSA III 54@28
Black Widow PLX 54@28

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 07:29:11 AM »
They have a good picture of one in the in stock PMA right hand page. 64” 48@28

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 08:06:25 AM »
I was referring to camo as the original treebark or Fred Bear camo pattern

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 07:33:15 PM »
I was referring to camo as the original treebark or Fred Bear camo pattern

OMG....  dont do that to a Widow....  believe what has been said here and on other threads....  The Grey Bark and Autumn Oak are both great as they are....  If ya want to change the looks check out some of the veneers they have and listen to what THEY have to say.

JMHO
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline captain caveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 07:42:41 PM »
They have cross grain model that is good looking.  Original grey bark blends into fall woods real well.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 09:06:41 PM »
Silver tips had camo limbs years ago, I always liked that !! No reason a Widow couldn’t have that done. They also just painted them black, I had one of them!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 07:09:35 AM »
Talltines and Silvertips both have/offer camo limbs or have in the past, along with the Bivouac bows (im sure im missing more companies).

If I were able to swing an exotic BW I wouldn't even be thinking of having camo on the limbs.

With cost being a factor, if I do get the greybark (graybark?) I may see what they can do.

I've always thought it would be neat to take some of my grandpa's old camo that he doesn't use anymore and have that made into limbs.

He got the china virus early November and it really messed up his lungs, he is afraid he isnt going to be able to hunt anymore, and I feel that would be a good tribute to him.

Gpa took me on my first successful deer hunt when I was 12, we sat in the box blind together as I shot my first deer and jump started my passion for hunting.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 11:14:12 AM »
Whenever somebody talks about having a bow painted with camo, I relate (as I have done here several times) my experience with camo paint. Back in the early 70's, I bought a paint set that was sold for this purpose. Accordingly, it was easily removeable with their paint remover. That did not work. I never was able to get all the paint off those bows. Be careful what you put on your bow, as it may be hard to get it off if you change your mind. I have also used camo tape that worked well and was not difficult to remove. Just be sure before you make a carefully considered decision. Now, this is just me, but I want a good looking bow and would not order one made with a camo pattern. Quite honestly, I do not feel that a camo bow makes any difference, and I have stumbled through the woods with a bow since the early 70's. Just my own opinion based on my experience.
Sam

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 11:24:37 AM »
I don't have a Widow with camo,but I do have a bow with camo limbs. I have the snow camo cloth,and it looks great.

Offline brill16hockey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 01:02:45 PM »
Not a great picture, but it's all I had on my phone here.  I can add better ones later.

I had the MAIII camo dipped because I had some extra limbs that were a different color and I hated that it didn't match. 

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2020, 06:33:55 PM »
Black Widows have a dull finish anyway. Those pictures with the shiny risers aren’t really what you will see hanging on their wall in Nixa. I think the cross grain veneers available would do as a way to break up the bows outlines

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2020, 07:10:32 PM »
I dont want the camo for true camouflage purposes. If my quarry sees my bow I've already lost.

I just simply like the looks of camo limbs

Offline HOOSIERGRIZZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2020, 08:02:38 PM »
I had them put cottonmouth skins on mine.  Looks nice and is pretty good camo.  Just another option for you.

Offline HOOSIERGRIZZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2020, 08:04:08 PM »
I dont want the camo for true camouflage purposes. If my quarry sees my bow I've already lost.

Ya, to each his own...

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2020, 08:06:16 PM »

Ya, to each his own...

For sure, whereas for me I abhor snakes and couldn't fathom putting snake skin on my bow haha

Offline HOOSIERGRIZZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 08:59:34 PM »

Ya, to each his own...

For sure, whereas for me I abhor snakes and couldn't fathom putting snake skin on my bow haha

I'm not terribly fond of them either.  I'm in Indiana and cottonmouths are very rare here.  I saw one in 48 years.  So happened that my dad and I were both waist deep seining minnows when he appeared in our net.  We exited pretty quick and dropped the net.   He chased us out of the water and up a little hill coming after us.  Never saw a snake be that aggressive.  We took turned jumping behind one another and throwing rocks at him as he came at us.  Oddly enough it turned out to be a fond memory, which is why I had the skins put on.  But back to the point of the post--make it your own--whatever that means.

Online beemann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 09:26:48 PM »
They used to make a set of factory camo limbs Kinda a green camo.  I had a set they were neat think they were a model IV .. mid nineties.  I think   

Offline Joey Ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2020, 12:42:23 PM »
Just my personal opinion, but I think putting a camo print on the limbs of a classic recurve like a Black Widow is akin to putting a Biden mask on Cheryl Tiegs.  :biglaugh:

Ok, I'm a tad old. :saywhat:

Joey Ward

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©