3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Hunters needed x 2 in Quebec  (Read 856 times)

Offline Greg in Delton MI

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Hunters needed x 2 in Quebec
« on: April 22, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
I have room for 2 more bear hunters at Ron Henry's Bear Camp. I have an area reserved June 1-6. $700 + tags, food and fuel.

I have had good success here in years past with good bears. This area appears genetically superior for head size, I have had P&Y+ bears around on all 3 trips in the past. Last year we went 3 for 4 with our 4th hunter missing a couple opportunities

I have had 350#+ bears under me 2 or 3 trips, I shot a smaller bear (#200) last season for a good eater, but will be looking for a larger bear this season. I have pictures from last year I can email if you want to see. Act fast in the past couple years I've had 4 trad gangers hunt with me and they all had a great time.
Greg

Long as I can pull this bow
Long as I can hike the hills and walk among the trees
I keep on trying
My goals are high but I don't care
The fun is in the getting there, it justifies the end
So try, try again

Mark Baker, "Feathers thru the Wind"

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Hunters needed x 2 in Quebec
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »
Greg,

I'm interested. The only hitch is I start a new job next Monday and I don't have a feel for what the work load is going to be like the next few months but will find out next week. If you could send me so more info on where, what and when to [email protected] that would be great.Pic too.

Thanks,

CJ
lll

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »
I'm interested Greg. Is everyone going separately? Give me the complete info please. My email is [email protected]
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »
Ok here is the poop, I have a mid michigan guy Marvin Wilkins who could stand a ride along to split fuel in his compact crew cab Nissan 4x4, I'm going of course, as is my finace' Amy, Mark Mitten, Biscut Smith. I need at least one more but could handle a couple more. to make it 8 total.

The hunt will take place June 1st-6th at Ron Henry's Bear Camp. This is a self guided arrangement with us doing our own meals and hanging our own stands, running our own baits. Ron will track and skin and quarter harvested bears.

We bring our own stands,(suggest climbing sticks and hang-on's)Bring our own food, sleeping bags, and kit. We have at our disposal a cabin with wood stove, propane, lights, fridge and stove. Bunks for 8, a huge trout lake down the hill with a couple boats with oars(bring a motor  15hp or less)

Ron has ice at camp cut from the lake in February and under saw dust so coolers are always iced. Ron or Joey run to town every couple days so he can transport hide and meat to his walk in. He also provides meat scraps for bait. He stays at his base camp about 12 miles south west of where we will be staying at Cabin #8 on Lac Fourant(sp?)

I always bring marshmallows, etc to sweeten the deal. This will be my 4th trip with Ron, and obviously I keep coming back.

I advise bringing 30-40 gallons of gas to last the week, if you think current gas prices are bad, bush gas is about 75%-100% more per gallon.

His home base is in Fort Colounge Quebec about 60 miles south of camp, it is approxemently 20 miles from Pembroke Ontario.

If you want more info my email is [email protected]

Greg
Greg

I keep on trying
So try, try again

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »
Ron Henry's Guide Service
146 Larouche St. PO Box 239
Fort Coulonge, Quebec, Canada  JOX 1VO
819-683-3008
Greg

I keep on trying
So try, try again

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
Guys,
This is a sweet camp.  I went last year with 5 other guys, and am going back again this year a couple of weeks later.  Ron and his son Joey are heck of a nice guys and treat ya well. Greg your in for a treat is you haven't hunted with Biscuit before!!!  He's a hoot, wish I could go up twice.  Are you going to the black river camp too?  dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »
Are there established bait sites? If not, how long does it take to get them started coming in? What are the roads like getting to camp? I possibly might pull the camper.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »
Dino, yes this is my 4th trip to Ron & Joey's camp. I have hunted Black River twice and taken bears there and Hunted camp#8 on the lake.

Bill the baits are active you will have 2-3 baits for each hunter and they have been maintained by the camp prior to our arrival. You could easily take a bear the first night on stand. The roads are gravel and rock and you can expect to travel at about 30-35mph towing a trailer.

I see resident campers up there often on the main road north. I would not think pulling a camper as long as it was not a 20+ footer would be an issue. Pop-ups are perfect, I would expect a regular camper to have the cupboards re-arranged on the trip north to camp.
Greg

I keep on trying
So try, try again

Offline flyfish1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »
man I wish I could go Greg. If by some chance things change I will let you know. Anyone considering going should know you wont be disappointed,very good set up the Henry's are running.

Ron
Ron A        

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,for we are hunters and we want our freedom"
         ~Sitting Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
I wish you could too Ron. I wish we could have spent more time visiting in Pittsburgh at the PBS Banquet, Man I was overwhelmed, next one won't be as bad as I'll know what to expect as a PBS Councilman, lol.  

Guy's Ron was up there a couple years ago and got his first bear and had a great time fishing with his son too.
Greg

I keep on trying
So try, try again

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
Ok, drops and adds, I need one additional person, but could take an additional 2 for a total of 3 as I had a double cancelation. I filled 2 slots yesterday. Soooo jump on this one quick.
Greg

I keep on trying
So try, try again

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
ttt
Greg

I keep on trying
So try, try again

Offline flyfish1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
Greg, I am possibly going. Can you tell me more about the passport situation and could my boy go to fish again if possible? I dont know if you were recognized at the banquet but I do know you were very busy and I want to thank you personally for the effort. It was my first and just an awesome experience. I definately felt I had found what I was looking for, a big group of folks with my same passion.

thanks,
                        Ron
Ron A        

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,for we are hunters and we want our freedom"
         ~Sitting Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »
Ron, thanks for your kind words the council and all who helped on the ground made it what it was, we appreciate your comments. Yes your boy can come too, fishing and or hunting, let me know.

Birth Cert is still all that is needed.
Greg

I keep on trying
So try, try again

Offline BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
Just an FYI for those thinking about a passport to play it safe on this hunt or others.  I just got one myself and it took 14 days from the time I filled out the application at the post office, to when it arrived in my mail box.  This was the standard service and not the expedited service. So the turn around time is fast, at least right now.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 08:45:00 AM »
That is good news it was 6 months as of last year. At this point ground travel over the border all that is neccesary to get back in is a Birth Certificate.
Greg

I keep on trying
So try, try again

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »
Greg, I looked into this earlier in the year as far as what is need to get into and get out of Canada.  You need a Birth Cert and a Government issed photo ID as of January 2008.  This is direct from the homeland security web site:

CURRENTLY:
U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (available in spring 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.
LATER:
On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI.  The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

Hope this help bud.

Tim
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline flyfish1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
Greg, I have to talk to the boss about the work schedule today. I will let you know soon.

Ron
Ron A        

~Sitting Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
Thanks Tim, it is the same as last year and it looks like it may not even change in '09 at this point, this is a hot topic in border areas of the US/CAN area as the ammount of cross border workers and commerce.

Michigan may be implementing a Drivers license that will work as a PASSPORT at the US/CAN Border in the next year or so. We'll see what happens. But for this year a Birth Cert and Drivers License is all that is needed to come back into the US from Canada.
Greg

I keep on trying
So try, try again

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
It looks like we may fill with 8 hunters, if you have any desire to attend jump on it right now.

Greg
Greg

I keep on trying
So try, try again

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©