Author Topic: Bearpaw Stabil-Core  (Read 3645 times)

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bearpaw Stabil-Core
« on: December 05, 2020, 09:34:46 PM »
I emailed Bearpaw this question

Will 2 pieces of Stabil-kor (1 under the belly glass and 1 under the back glass) help a High reflex Recurve.
Thanks

Response-- Our Stabil-Core is normally used as the middle layer in the limbs to help prevent twisting over time. It does not have any performance effect on the bow by using it but to stabilize the limbs.

So I edited my question and asked again
SORRY--EDIT--Will 2 pieces of Stabil-kor (1 under the belly glass and 1 under the back glass) help a High reflex Recurve with stability, and where should I put them in the stack?

Response--You can use them directly under the glass which is going to increase the stability and the draw weight of the bow. If you only use them in the middle, you only increase the stability.

So I was going to build a thin unstabil Recurve bow and wanted to know if 2 stabil-core was better than 1

It got me thinking about this topic.
So the Topic that comes up on this forum all the time is where in the stack to put it.
What I get from there answer is next to the back or belly glass is going to compress it or stretch it, dead center (edit--Neutral) and it should do it's job better.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 10:27:51 PM by Mad Max »
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bearpaw Stabil-Core
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 10:04:20 PM »
Interesting.  I have until recently always put as close to the belly glass as I could.   Lately between the lams for the racing stripe look.  I haven't noticed one place being better than the other.  Of course my recurves are more moderate.  Hope you can shed some light on this.

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 10:24:07 PM »
I too put mine next to the belly glass but I think I'm going to the center.

I've already told you more than I know :tongue:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 12:30:26 AM »
From the secnd response: 
  Response--You can use them directly under the glass which is going to increase the stability and the draw weight of the bow. If you only use them in the middle, you only increase the stability.

Hmmmm....  So,  if we put an extra maple lam of .015 in the center of the stack,  it will increase the draw weight.   But if we put .015 of stabilcore in the center it won't increase draw weight.

Somethin wrong with that pitcher.
"Every man is the creature of the age in which he lives;  very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time"     Voltaire

Online onetone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 12:59:41 AM »
I have always put StabilKore between the back and belly lams running along the back of the riser. Now I'm considering using two pieces of SK in the center of the stack w/ one passing behind the riser and the other running up the ramps - a forked racing stripe, so to speak.

Thanks for the interesting post Max!

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 08:31:15 AM »
add .015 you will increase the weight. You got to use the SC as part of the stack.
High on Archery.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 09:21:49 AM »
How much testing do y’all think Bear Paw has actually done on the placement of stabilkore in stack?  I say do your own testing and see what works best for you!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 11:30:28 AM »
How much testing do y’all think Bear Paw has actually done on the placement of stabilkore in stack?  I say do your own testing and see what works best for you!

Yes to that!
"Every man is the creature of the age in which he lives;  very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time"     Voltaire

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 11:37:05 AM »
I exclusively use the Stabilcore under the backside veneer and only in my recurves. On occasion, it has been put under the belly side veneer.  I have never put it in the middle and can't see as how it would be as effective in the neutral plane as it would on either belly or back.... I would say that I have good success with it in the back and wouldn't put it in belly unless for some reason you needed extra stabilization.

Having said all this, i have no clue what anyone else's bows like.

BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 10:07:46 PM »
The last sentence was to say, "putting stabilcore in both belly and back is unnecessary unless you have a real need to stabilize a limb.. "

I just read my last reply and thought it might be confusing.
Thanks ,bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 10:56:58 PM »
The last sentence was to say, "putting stabilcore in both belly and back is unnecessary unless you have a real need to stabilize a limb.. "

I just read my last reply and thought it might be confusing.
Thanks ,bigjim

I think I need to. :thumbsup:
}}}}===============>>

Offline Flem

• Trad Bowhunter
  • "Don't quote me on that!"
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2020, 01:21:50 PM »
Since Bue was kind enough to provide a link to ISOSPORT, the manufacture of BearPaw glass and stabilkore, it was worth looking at the tech specs provided. The ad copy from Bearpaw is worthless if you are looking for information of any value.
ISOSPORT makes a number of composites, the Stabilkore looks to be one of their fabric based laminates.
They offer carbon, E-glass and Basalt fiber as reinforcements.
BearPaw advertises stabilkore as a "Carbon alternative" which implies the material being used is similar in its physical properties. This is not true, neither E-glass or Basalt has similar properties to carbon fiber and in fact Basalt and E-glass are very similar to each other. Reading the provided literature, the only laminate to fit the description for Stabilkore is a plain weave Basalt reinforced epoxy composite. The transverse strength info, shows it to have 1/8 the strength compared to its longitudinal axis.
Plain weave reinforcement fabrics are not the strongest in resisting torsional forces, which is what they are suggesting Stabilkore be used for. Triaxial or Biaxial fabric would be a more suitable material for transverse strength. In fact a bowyer could buy them self some fiberglass or even some Carbon fabric ;), add it to their layup and have a superior reinforcement.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 01:34:29 PM by Flem »

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2020, 05:23:35 PM »
I am thinking a 45 weave carbon fabric would be better. But have no idea what to get.
High on Archery.

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2020, 05:28:06 PM »
Flem
If you don't know, Stabil-core is like a limp noodle compared to fiberglass.
Thanks for the info Bue/Flem
}}}}===============>>

Offline Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2020, 07:33:08 PM »
Flem

True,  but stabikore is without resin until you lay it up.

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2020, 08:06:44 PM »
Flem

Yep
}}}}===============>>

Offline Flem

• Trad Bowhunter
  • "Don't quote me on that!"
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2020, 09:28:07 PM »
Flem

Yep

Not true, Stabilkore is a composite according to the info provided by BearPaw and all their dealers.
In any case, what I'm saying, is its not the optimum reinforcement for torsional rigidity.

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2020, 10:05:38 PM »
All I know is that it does the job for me.
I'm making a 1.25 wide recurve with a .215 Stack--25#@28"
5" from the tip it is .163 thick and it is stable. :)
}}}}===============>>

Offline Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2020, 10:20:58 PM »
  Not true, Stabilkore is a composite according to the info provided by BearPaw and all their dealers.
In any case, what I'm saying, is its not the optimum reinforcement for torsional rigidity.

It may not be optimum but it does improve stability.   It does no work of any kind until it is bound in place with resin.

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2020, 10:28:03 PM »
And it is a good idea to be sure you got plenty of glue on it. To me it looks like it soaks some glue.
High on Archery.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©