3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ThreeToelke whips @43+  (Read 1426 times)

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
ThreeToelke whips @43+
« on: December 06, 2020, 12:59:06 PM »
Two and a half years after shoulder surgery acquired 3 toelkes have had them refinished and they're all pulling 43 pounds at my 27 inch draw. I've been making wooden arrows for 25 years, I'm getting kind of nervous that I'm going to have to go to carbon arrows , my last set of Woody's I just made came out at 473 grains with 150 grains up front they fly perfect, how much of a improvment will the carbons make?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 03:49:18 PM by thump »

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ThreeToelke whips @43+
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 05:59:16 PM »
Out of curiosity why would you need to go to carbons and what improvement might they offer if your wood arrows are flying perfectly?

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 06:11:50 PM »
Wondering if carbons improve penetration even if all variables are the same except for diameter of the shaft.

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 06:28:29 PM »
I am not a wood guy but will say unless you are trying efoc you won’t be able to tell a difference.  If they are flying straight and you like them, go kill things.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 10:03:20 PM »
No worries... the weight of the shaft is way more important than efoc.... Let me put it this way, you aren't going to have any negative side effects. 

Just have fun....  :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 10:19:26 PM »
Thanks guy's.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 07:02:18 AM »
Ive shot a bunch of our whitetails with 40# Toelke bows, but only one with a wood arrow.  That deer was a big bodied buck ( see 40# harvest thread).  The little 5/16" tapered cedar arrow tipped with a grizzly single bevel penetrated well into the offside shoulder.  I watched him drop.
Although that one arrow doesn't equate to vast experience, id have no confidence issues using wood.
If your arrows are flying perfectly id stick with them.  Aren't Toelkes great bows!?

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 08:39:54 PM »
Dan recommended 5/16" wood to me on my 40# Pika. Not easy to find a full length POC on 45 spine. How did it build your arrow?

Offline ty_in_ND

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 09:12:08 PM »
Dan recommended 5/16" wood to me on my 40# Pika. Not easy to find a full length POC on 45 spine. How did it build your arrow?

How about a hardwood shaft? Pine Hollow has 5/16" hickory shafts that start at 40/45 lb spine. If I didn't have a lot of wood shafts that I need to get worked up, I'd give them a shot! I'll definitely give them a go once I break a few woodies.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 08:21:04 AM »
Ty, I was looking at those shafts all week, not sure tf they'll fit on my Grizzly broadheads.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©